Is this a bad idea?

nickd

Re: Is this a bad idea?
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2017, 03:12 pm »
I would use some of the cash from the Super V sale to buy a pair of Danny's X Omni's and a pair of the biggest Rythmik subs you can afford and call it good.

My son and both use the X Omni For surround duties. They excell for that purpose.

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2017, 03:15 pm »
I would use some of the cash from the Super V sale to buy a pair of Danny's X Omni's and a pair of the biggest Rythmik subs you can afford and call it good.

My son and both use the X Omni For surround duties. They excell for that purpose.

Biggest subs need to be appropriate for the room or risk being boomy. Just make sure you get the right subs not necessarily the biggest.

danvprod

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2017, 06:48 pm »
Agree with most of what the others have said. If you can't make them work for dedicated 2-channel audio, give someone who can the opportunity. Do you have any pictures of them? I think $2500-$3000 for them used is a no-brainer for someone. There is just nothing like the Super Vs near this price point.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2017, 10:11 pm »
Biggest subs need to be appropriate for the room or risk being boomy. Just make sure you get the right subs not necessarily the biggest.

Explain.

Best,
Anand.

bdp24

« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2017, 10:59 pm »
It is not a sub being "too big" for a room that causes boom. It is the eigenmodes of the room being excited that does that, and that can be caused equally by an 8", a 12", a 15", an 18", and a 24" inch (though the lower in frequency a sub plays, the more room modes it excites. All the GR Research and Rythmik subs play low enough to excite all a rooms' eigenmodes), in a 1.0 cu.ft., 2.0 cu.ft., 3 cu.ft., 4.0 cu.ft., or 5.0 cu.ft. enclosure, sealed or ported. Employing multiple subs can help address a boomy room, as can bass traps and, feel some, DSP. The Rythmik plate amp features a single PEQ control, and adding a separate DSP unit can provide more, making reducing more resonant peaks possible.

By the way, one of the benefits of the OB/Dipole Sub is that it excites one less room mode than do monopole subs---the one of the width of the room. One less mode=less boom!

Rfglock

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2017, 08:38 am »

Here are a few pics of them as requested.