OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!

modwright

I just received shipping notification yesterday from Oppo! I am excited about this one!

Dan
« Last Edit: 8 May 2019, 07:14 pm by modwright »

SoCalWJS

Re: OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2017, 11:33 pm »
Keeping an eye on this. I'm guessing that the Sonica and the 205 will have a lot in common.

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:13 am »
If Oppo would make the Sonica Dac MQA it would be really hard to resist.

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:23 am »
I believe it is simply a firmware upgrade.  It might be worth asking Oppo if they have intentions of doing so.

jwes

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2017, 01:43 am »
Hi Dan,

Any first impression on sound quality and/or streaming functionality?

Jim

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2017, 04:34 pm »
Right now I am streaming WiFi from a NAS to our amp via balanced cables.  Sounds great!

I will evaluate ethernet vs. wifi vs. USB storage in, etc.

Still not sure how aux analog in is handled?  I assume it is digitized and decoded through the DAC, but I am not sure.

Dan

WC

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2017, 04:47 pm »
Right now I am streaming WiFi from a NAS to our amp via balanced cables.  Sounds great!

I will evaluate ethernet vs. wifi vs. USB storage in, etc.

Still not sure how aux analog in is handled?  I assume it is digitized and decoded through the DAC, but I am not sure.

Dan

The manual mentions that the aux input is digitized with a ADC. Suggests that while it sounds good, running analog signals through a preamp would sound better.

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:12 pm »
OK, I expected as much.  In my opinion, this would be a good option for any other source other than analog....

I just can't see digitizing tape or vinyl.  Otherwise, no problem.

Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2017, 05:40 pm »
So I have been listening to the unit straight to our 150SE via XLR's until now.  I just put a LS 100 between the Sonica DAC and 150SE because I need to burn this preamp in.  I was surprised at how much better the DAC sounded this way.....

IT NEEDS A TUBE ANALOG STAGE!

I am going back to basics here and looking at designing everything new from the DAC up....this is going to be GOOD!!!!

Shredder

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:46 pm »
I have owned a MW TP for 9 years. I love the one box solution and the MW sound. So, this mod holds great appeal for me as an upgrade. For me, and I suspect many others, for this box to be competitive, it would need to be Roon Ready and play higher rez DSD (128, 256, and 512) as well as MQA. As you point out, Oppo should be able to accommodate those concerns with simple firmware updates.

Very exciting.

Shredder

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:51 pm »
Hmmmm, I was rereading the Sonica description on the Oppo site. In one spot, it says that it will only decode DSD 64. In another, it says 512. So, it may already have some of this functionality.

Shredder

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:55 pm »
A question, the Sonica will apparently play higher rez dsd through its usb input only. Does that mean I would either need to connect directly to my computer or use a renderer to play higher rez? Would be nice of it could play higher rez through Ethernet or wireless.

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:19 pm »
Hi, it will play DSD files, DSD1, DSD2 and possibly DSD3.  Not sure about Roon and MQA yet.  I plan to call Oppo and discuss this with them.

I believe that most players will accept DSD over USB, not sure about ethernet.  Certainly PCM over ethernet, but not sure about DSD.

It is in much the same spirit as the Transporter, just sexier, more tech-savvy and with more features.

Dan

Shredder

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:34 pm »
Thanks. Exciting project.

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2017, 05:03 pm »
Yes!

jwes

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:19 pm »
Does it interface with mysqueezebox.com as does the TP?  Not a dealbreaker, but it is fun to explore the radio stations all over the world...  OTOH, I'm not a fan of Logitech Media Server - kind of clunky

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm »
It does, as I have a Touch in my office and I was able to connect it to the Sonica via RCA digital out from Touch to Sonica.  You can use Logitech Media server to control the Sonica also.

Oppo REALLY did their homework on this one!

Dan

ajayrav

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2017, 07:56 pm »
And Dirac room correction is in the works as well, to be provided as a future firmware update…

Ajay

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2017, 08:08 pm »
Cool, thanks!

I made good progress on the mod this weekend and have the DAC interface portion of the analog circuit done.

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2017, 08:19 pm »
And Dirac room correction is in the works as well, to be provided as a future firmware update…

Ajay
Really? Wow! Have to keep an eye out for that. Can't picture it on the 205, but I'd really like the option of experimenting with some form of room correction for my 2 channel setup.