$1K SS Phono Stage? Work in progress...

modwright

$1K SS Phono Stage? Work in progress...
« on: 5 Oct 2016, 01:43 am »
I realized some time back that more and more people are enjoying vinyl.  And, as good as it is, not everyone is in the market for a Reference $7900 PH 150, even though it is exceptional.

We currently offer a VERY good $350 phono option with our new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp ($2900/ $3250 with phono). This phono option has 54dB of gain and serves med-high output MC and MM carts very well.

This design progressed to the point that I am now working on a 69dB MM/MC phono stage that is to be priced at or under $1K.  It is pure SS, discrete and op amps.  It features resistive loading via internal dip switches.  I have not decided if the power supply will be external or internal.  The prototype has the PS internal and I am evaluating this still.

I have been testing it with a .4mV MC today with great success.

If this sounds like something that you have been looking for, please let me know and share what features you would want in such a phono stage.

No, I really don't ever sleep  :roll:

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:05 pm by modwright »

Austin08

Re: $1K SS Phono Stage? Work in progress...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2016, 03:28 am »
I heard the PH150 two years ago at CAF. I was so impressed with the sound and the ease of use. Only if I could afford... :( .Can not wait to see and hear this new cheaper version.  :thumb:

The Rang

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:23 am »
I will eventually need a phono stage for my KWI-200.
not sure when that will be, a year or two maybe.
but I would definitely be interested in something affordable from MW

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2016, 03:32 pm »
Thanks, we will continue to update with progress.

It will be an exceptional AND affordable phono stage!

Dan

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2016, 03:56 pm »
Very exciting. Great to see a phono stage in that price point. Look forward to hearing how it does with an MC around 0.2 mv

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:10 pm »
The goal is for it to handle cartridges as low as .2mV.  It has no problems so far with my .4mV cart.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2016, 05:05 pm »
Coming along nicely!

My first prototype is being fed my .4mV MC with ease and sounds great!

In addition to loading via the dip switches, there is also a switch that allows for a -6dB attenuation to suit gain needs better.  Max MC gain is likely to be 69dB or so.  MM will be less of course.

I am also exploring the possibility of a fully discrete design and that will be the next step.

At this piont, it looks like we can achieve all of this in a one-box solution with internal supply.

Thanks,

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2016, 06:27 pm »
This is a great product idea, Dan.  Enough gain to handle LOMC at under 1K with a quality that you would put your name behind.  I think it will be a nice niche product for the emerging market for those getting back in or in for the first time to vinyl.  Now, a dip switch on the outside would be so much better....

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2016, 07:25 pm »
This is a great product idea, Dan.  Enough gain to handle LOMC at under 1K with a quality that you would put your name behind.  I think it will be a nice niche product for the emerging market for those getting back in or in for the first time to vinyl.  Now, a dip switch on the outside would be so much better....

At this price point, I think that it can be more than a niche product! :D

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2016, 07:58 pm »
Yes!  It is intended to be a fairly high volume sales unit.

The goal is to produce a VERY high value phono stage that we can build for a reasonable price.

Thanks!

Dan

GregC

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2016, 06:53 pm »
Will the phono stage be inverted like some of your prior stages?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2016, 07:13 pm »
This sounds like a great match for the anniversary edition SWLP 9.0!

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2016, 07:58 pm »
Absolutely!

There is also a phono option for the SWL 9.0 Ann Ed, but the standalone phono offers higher gain, lower noise and greater flexibility.

Dan

AGrede

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2016, 04:00 am »
What would an approximate release time be?
Would be an eager customer! :D

AGrede

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2016, 04:01 am »
Also, would it contain balanced outs?

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:47 pm »
Hi, at this point, I do not plan to add balanced outs, not at that price.  I am looking at other options however, as well as separate MM and MC circuits and flexible loading, gain and other features.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:47 pm »
I am thinking that release will be after the new year, as Beta.

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm »
Exciting new $1K phono design news!

I have just finished evaluating our new Discrete Opamp Design and it sounds great!

I have first configured a single discrete op-amp with active and passive RIAA correction, with 36dB of MM gain.  I am using a 2.4mV high output MC cartridge into our 11dB gain SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition and I am getting GOOD gain and sound! With a 5mV MM cart, it would be IDEAL!

Now obviously I am not stopping there, and the final design will be MM and MC.  What is exciting however, is that MM gain can be achieved with low noise and great sound, from a single discrete Opamp!

The next step will be to look at using either a fully discrete MC head-amp for additional gain, vs. two discrete Opamp stages to achieve min. 60dB MC gain.

I just wanted to share this exciting news, because this is a crude prototype and little attention has been given to shielding of the circuit or enclosure at this point.

We are on our way! More to come!

Thanks,

Dan

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2017, 06:04 pm by modwright »

GregC

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:49 pm »
Hi Dan, Any updates to report on this phono stage?

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2017, 01:03 am »
Hi, sorry but I have been busy getting the Oppo Sonica mods done (will transfer to UDP-205) and preparing for Chicago Axpona along with a new balanced preamp design to debut there.

I have been working on it though!

I have the following designs in process:

1) MM fully discrete low cost design (<< $1K)
2) MM and MC fully discrete design (~$1K)
3) Hybrid MM and MC discrete design (> $1K)

I will return to all of this after Axpona and will have units ready for Beta testing soon!

Thanks,

Dan