Emerald and Force XL Review

griller

Emerald and Force XL Review
« on: 30 May 2007, 08:17 pm »
I may be the first on this  :D

Review: ACI Emerald XL / Force XL 5.1 setup

I’ve now had this setup for a couple months. I’ve read a lot of reviews that leave me wondering just what the author is really trying to say. So, before going into the details, I’ll make my main points
> If you’re looking for a terrific 5.1 system that will absolutely kill the competition in this price range- buy this system. 
> If you’re looking for small, attractive satelittes that just ooze music and can be listened to for hours on end- get the Emerald XLs.
> If you are searching for a small, great looking super music reproducing sub that goes LOW – buy the Force XL.

Specifics

Everything about working with this company is great, products, warranty, the people. My only complaint is that sometime it is hard to get through by phone. ACI could use more phone lines and more people to answer them. But, they do return calls and emails promptly.

Appearance is a lot better than the photos on the website. The proportions are just right, the cabinets are smaller than I pictured (great for WAF) and the finish is elegant. I went with the cherry with the black edges and it is super classy. This ain’t no crappy vinyl cabinet, I’ve seen mega-buck speakers that didn’t have this quality of finish. I bet the piano finish is stunning as well. These little babies just ooze quality. Even the brushed aluminum binding post plates and the gold binding posts are real high-end quality.

Looks are important in audio and potential mates, but performance is what really counts in the long haul. As fine as the ACIs look, they perform even better. I’ve always been a fan of the midrange of the various iterations of the famous Rogers and Spendor LS3 5a. Well the Emerald XL gets the mids with the same quality but to my ears sounds more neutral, like it doen’t have that BBC dip. And, has the tuneful quality and punch of the LS3 5a without that bit of low end bloat, again more neutral. Considering the significantly lower cost and better finish, the Emerald XLs are a downright bargain.  The Force XL is one potent little sub. Why anyone would buy a REL or Velo if they heard this sub is beyond me. In a discussion with Mike at ACI he said that to him a subwoofer must “first do no harm” he said that left hand of a piano was far more difficult for a sub than explosions and such. He knows what he’s talking about. This sub sounds real, and it has no problems with the explosions and car crashes in the movies.  I have no doubt that this would be a subwoofer that would enhance virtually any high-end system. Planars and such come to mind.

What don’t I like about this system? At anywhere near this price point, not a darn thing. These are relatively small speakers and I have no doubt that there are larger speakers that will play louder, but they won’t sound ½ as good, be nearly as accurate or be near this quality. Another thing to note, ACI has the same 5 year warranty that is pretty standard in the industry. Butt, the subs have a full 5 year warranty on the electronics as well - -  I don’t know who else does that. Look at the warranty for Velo, Hsu, B&W, SVS, REL, etc. they’re all 2-3 years on the electronics. I wonder why?  To me, this just underlines the quality that ACI puts into their products.

I am not easily impressed, but ACI and these speakers have greatly impressed me! 5 Stars!

Alwayswantmore

Re: Emerald and Force XL Review
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2007, 01:13 am »
Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on a Force XL now and it's nice to read this type of positive reinforcement. I love Mike's comment about "the left hand."

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2007, 06:23 am »
Thanks Griller for taking the time to write up your thoughts and giving a good review on your setup.  For me personally, if I'm on the edge about a purchase, I always search for the customer reviews and when the customer and the professional reviews match up, I know it'll be a good product.

griller

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2007, 08:21 pm »
Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on a Force XL now and it's nice to read this type of positive reinforcement. I love Mike's comment about "the left hand."

You'll like this sub a lot.. There are enough adjustments to keep one busy for a bit. Just turning each control a little makes a difference.  I found that as it ran in and I got the adjustments figured out it just got better and better. Some of the best quality bass I've heard from any speaker system, subwoofer or full range,

griller

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2007, 08:23 pm »
Thanks Griller for taking the time to write up your thoughts and giving a good review on your setup.  For me personally, if I'm on the edge about a purchase, I always search for the customer reviews and when the customer and the professional reviews match up, I know it'll be a good product.

Thanks Ross. What are you looking at buying?  I agree with you that pro and consumer reviews together carry more weight than either by themselves. One of the factors that made me decide to go with ACI was all the great consumer and pro reviews going back years and many different models.

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2007, 08:27 pm »
Congrats Griller -  Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us!  Enjoy the new tunes!

griller

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2007, 01:56 pm »
This is my 6 month checkup. My enjoyment of these speakers has only gotten better with time.  The diminutive Emeralds resolve and play music much better than their reasonalbe price and tiny size would suggest. And as one of those who previously had found subs to be less than perfect, well the Force is perfect. As Mike is always pounding on, you do have to spend the time to get the setup right. It sounded good fairly soon, but over a couple of months of play, it sounds awesome, in fact, you don't really know its there until you turn it off.  Thank you once more to the ACI crew for a fantastic job.  As a side note, a friend with a much more expensive Velo sub was pretty upset when it went to hell out of warranty and he found out how much it would cost to repair. On my recommendation he bought a Titan and is thrilled. I was glad I could pay back a bit and help a friend be happier!

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:22 am »
This is my 6 month checkup. My enjoyment of these speakers has only gotten better with time.  The diminutive Emeralds resolve and play music much better than their reasonalbe price and tiny size would suggest. And as one of those who previously had found subs to be less than perfect, well the Force is perfect. As Mike is always pounding on, you do have to spend the time to get the setup right. It sounded good fairly soon, but over a couple of months of play, it sounds awesome, in fact, you don't really know its there until you turn it off.  Thank you once more to the ACI crew for a fantastic job.  As a side note, a friend with a much more expensive Velo sub was pretty upset when it went to hell out of warranty and he found out how much it would cost to repair. On my recommendation he bought a Titan and is thrilled. I was glad I could pay back a bit and help a friend be happier!
Glad you are enjoying your system. In part due to this review, I bought the Force XL. I concur it is a great sub and excellent value.

Toka

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:32 am »
Thanks for the review (and follow-up!). Nice to know a good setup can be had without resorting to Ramen for a month.  8)

Captain Humble

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2007, 04:34 am »
Griller,
Mike's room at RMAF 2007 was most impressive.
IMHumbleO you made a very nice choice.  :thumb:

Enjoy!

I'm also a proud owner of an ACI Titan II LE.
I no longer need a sub for two channel but it is still kicking in my home theater setup.
Jeff

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2007, 07:02 pm »
Griller:

Good to have you back  :D  I predict the longer you have them, the more you'll continue to enjoy. I was wondering if you ever got the chance to do some of the comparisons you were planning? 

Jeff:

The pic from RMAF brings back recent and good memories. . .  we've already been working on next year's plans.  But that carpet, wow, I know what I'm NOT putting in the new listening room!

griller

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2007, 01:30 am »
Mike, I would have stopped by sooner, but have been tied up with work and family. I have been making time to enjoy the system though  aa    I did have a chance to do a few of the comparisons. Let me say the XLs and Force handled themselves extrmely well. When I get a chance I will add more details.