Benefit of using Highpass section

jdreynolds

Benefit of using Highpass section
« on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:02 pm »
First I'd like to say I'm glad to be part of the Virtue audio club. I think I was one of the first owners of Virtue gear starting with a pre order of the V1 and Sensation 901. I have thought about upgrades to the Sensation 901 that I own for sometime but not sure where I wanted to start. I actually think of designing another set of speaker as well. My main question is in regards to the high pass filter function of the sensation amplifier. The answers to the questions that I have could have a major influence on the design that I come up with and drivers that I will use. I would like to be able to achieve around 120db cleanly. Obviously that will require some efficient speakers especially for the Virtue amplifiers.

So, I was wondering if using the high-pass filter in the amplifiers was of benefit in regards to distortion or in any other manner? I am thinking of using a stereo Servo controlled and amplified 8" subwoofer setup in a "balanced force" (bipole) configuration with the ability to play into the 250hz range. That raises another question. Is it possible to raise the high-pass filter frequency with just a change in value of the caps? If so would it benefit the Virtue amps if the high-pass was set to something like 150-200Hz going to my mains?

Thanks in advance for any advice.   
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2015, 05:14 am by jdreynolds »

jdreynolds

Re: Benefit of using Highpass section
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:17 pm »
I should add that high output is not my only goal. Being able to close my eyes and "feel" like I am in the recording venue and listening to real instruments is paramount as well. However, clean output is important which obviously requires a lot of drivers or highly efficient but limiting low frequency output due to low excursion capabilities. Just wanted to add that to let everyone know that I at least have some of the basics down and I'm not just going for loudness.

BY the way the listening area is going to be a small area at the moment. (14' x 14' or so). However, the system could see a larger space at some point. 

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2015, 02:16 am »
Jd

Using The high pass section will definitely allow for more headroom and power without distortion arising so easily.
You can raise the high pass frequency as well. Somewhere on this virtue forum is the answer and if i fund it before you I'll post it here.
I did mutiple units using .05, .06 caps and i believe those were set to 225/275hz

jdreynolds

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2015, 07:42 am »
Jason,

Thank you for replying to my post. It has been a while since I have checked the forum. Actually, when I searched through the forums it seems that I actually did find the answer to my question. I do have a new question now as a result now, haha. Can I assume that replacing the cap values in the amp would be the same as adjusting the cap values across a transducer for the purpose of changing the high pass filter value? If that is the case then is it also the case that the filter capacitors in the amplifiers act as a 1st order 6db per octave filter (at least in the electrical sense that is)?

I'm thinking of possibly using an electrostatic panel or magnetostatic panel and combining it will with dynamic servo controlled woofers. Would this be a terrible idea? I understand that electrostatic panels need a great deal of voltage but I assume that is the point of the power supplies that are used in commercial designs. With that said, I have hear Martin Logan on two systems. One with the top of the line Cambridge Audio amplifier and another with a lower end Marantz unit. It was obvious that the Marantz was not capable of allowing the ML's to produce the same SPL as the Cambridge. If I remember the Cambridge puts out 150W per channel at 4 ohms. My point in all of this is to determine if I want to design a new speaker system with only dynamic drivers or a mix of electrostatic/magnetostatic high-passed around 250hz with dynamic woofers taking over from there.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2015, 05:04 am »
> Can I assume that replacing the cap values in the amp would be the same as adjusting the cap values across a transducer for the purpose of changing the high pass filter value?

Yes... my Maggies let you change the input cap to kill the low frequencies.  Big inductors are required to kill the highs... much harder.