6H30DR Supertube for the Virtue Sensation Dodd Buffer?

Trismos

In another post I am asking why my newly purchased Psvane 12AU7-Ts aren't working out. I didn't want to add much to my question and sidetrack the post, but I'll ask another here. Ian from GF said if he had his druthers, he would use the  6H30DR supertube in the Dodd Buffer.

Now this appears to be a $200.00 piece of Russian glass. Has anybody heard of this thing? Has anybody bothered to try it in a Virtue Doddized amp? It seems kind of the antithesis of what Virtue is all about ... the high quality at good value thing. But most of us here reading these posts have a certain shared infection as it were.

RD

TrungT

Re: 6H30DR Supertube for the Virtue Sensation Dodd Buffer?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2012, 02:08 am »
6H30 is a 6V tube, won't work on Virtue amp tube buffer which is 12V.
Will need few mod to make it work though.

wilsynet

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:02 am »
Now this appears to be a $200.00 piece of Russian glass. Has anybody heard of this thing? Has anybody bothered to try it in a Virtue Doddized amp? It seems kind of the antithesis of what Virtue is all about ...

The 6H30, while not as well known as tubes like the 6SN7, 12AX7, 6DJ8, etc, is nevertheless a legitimate tube.  The 6H30 is used by BAT, Conrad Johnson, Modwright, ARC, Transcendent Sound, and Dodd.  I believe BAT pioneered its recent use in high end audio.

If you want high value for little coin, get current production 6H30 tubes from Sovtek and Electro-Harmonix for $25-35 per tube.

jaywills

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:38 pm »
The 6H30DR supertube may be a victim of supply and demand.  I ordered one from PartsConnexion (no affiliation) about ten days ago for a hundred bucks to use in Gary's buffer.  In checking their site last night, they're now asking over $200 for the same tube (1986 vintage).