The Stick

Louis O

The Stick
« on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:47 am »

Louis O

Re: The Stick
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:55 am »
Hi All,

Here is the newest addition to the line.

I'm off to RMAF and will have 2 sets of these going. I have been working on them for a long time now. They use the 4.5" driver and later when the Alnico is ready I will have the Super Sticks.

They have great bass and totally disappear in the room. Spent a lot of time with the outriggers and the spacing between the floor and the bottom port. Out riggers are powder coat aluminum and brass cones. The float on rubber between the speaker and outrigger.

6dB down in bass is 38Hz. 3dB down is 43Hz.

Size is 42" tall x 7"wide x 7.5" deep.
Many thanks to Arte Forma and Virtue Audio for sharing the rooms with me.

Thanks,
Louis

Capt. Z

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:46 am »
Very interesting (good) looking speakers.

Since they use the same driver as the Omega 5 I wonder how they differ in sound. (Besides lower bass)

almonduck

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2009, 04:30 am »
I'm looking forward to hearing these at the RMAF and seeing them in person.   I can predict high WAF at my house.  Being tall, narrow and ported on the bottom, I'm also interested in what kind of tone they'll have.

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2009, 06:20 am »
Being tall, narrow and ported on the bottom, I'm also interested in what kind of tone they'll have.
Let me assure you, one doesn't need to be "tall, narrow and ported on the bottom" to be interested in what kind of tone these speakers deliver.

Chad

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2009, 09:32 am »
This gives me visions of Omega built tapered quarter wave pipe (or better yet IMO a transmission line) designs.   :thumb:

As good as Louis has made ported designs sound, TQWP or TL would be a big step up with extended bass with 6 dB/octave bass roll off that matches room gain and a sloped baffle behind the driver to reflect mid/higher frequency sound coming off the back of the driver away (all drivers are quite acoustically transparent).

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2009, 10:15 am »
    Okay, full disclosure time.  Louis has lent me a pair of the prototype Sticks while I am waiting for him to finish his R&D on the OBs that I purchased.  He had also lent me a prototype of the 5's that I return when I received the Sticks, so I do have a basis of comparison that is based on my personal experience. 

Simply put, the 5's are great little Speakers; the Sticks are great Speakers period.  The difference in sound between the two is the richness of tone (besides the lower bass). 

It is amazing to me how Louis can take the same driver and achieve totally different results by using different enclosures. 

The Sticks are very responsive to the Electronics that are feeding them.  You want pure tone, give them so SETs and you will weep from the sheer beauty.  You want articulation along with that tone, give them some PP Pentodes.  You want them to rock out and head bang with the best of them they feed them so good SS with some muscle behind them.  The thing is, Louis is right, they do disappear.  Visually it is certainly easy to explain, but musically I keep saying that all that music cannot possibly be coming from those skinny little things!  It is one 4 1/2" driver, and you get deep articulate bass.  I have Jazz recording with Ray Brown and Milt Hnton on acoustic bass, and it is there, authority, nuance, and articulation.  I have Electronica recordings, Senor Coconut, Brent Lewis and the electronic bass has all the slam you want.  The midrange as in all of Louis's speakers is to die for, (Once you go Single Driver you never go back!) and the highs are clean and extended due in no small part to the weight of the bass. 

Now, are the Sticks the be all and end all?  One word, no.  They do not throw the incredible sound stage of the floor standing Bipole/Dipole Omega Speakers that I had, but they come close and the ease of placement (you can put them anywhere) more then makes up for it is this persons opinion. 

You say want a Super Speaker System? A System that is capable of playing anything at any volume?  A System that can sound as small or as large as the recording demands?  Well step right over here and do I have a deal for you! 

Combine the Sticks with the Omega Deep Hemp, or better yet a pair of Deep Hemps and your first thought will be, " My journey has ended, I am finally home"  Everything disappears but the music.  Those of you who have a Deep Hemp along with your main Omega Speakers will know exactly what I mean.  It is not about bass per se, but rather about a base for the music. 

Omega Speakers have always been about conveying the emotion of the music; it is not just a bunch of notes that are strung together, but a story being told.  The Sticks continue and add to this noble tradition. 

You're first reaction upon hearing the sticks is that they can't possibly be doing that.  Your second reaction is to go Shush, keep quite, can't you see that I am listening to music?  Your third reaction will be the question, "How Much?  and your fourth reaction will be, "Can I take this pair home?" 

I am seriously wavering on my commitment to the OBs. 

My Reference Recordings for the Sticks;

1. Johnny Hodges Saxophone Solo on Ishfahan from Duke Ellington's Far East Suite
2. Johnny Hartman singing Send In The Clowns from This Ones For Tedi
3. Bonnie Raitt singing Love Me Like A Man (Live Recording) From the Best of Bonnie Raitt
4. Aaron Neville singing Save The Last Dance For Me from Till The Night Ends a Tribute To Doc Pomus
5. Senor Coconut singing Kiss from Around The World

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2009, 01:42 pm »
    Okay, full disclosure time.  Louis has lent me a pair of the prototype Sticks while I am waiting for him to finish his R&D on the OBs that I purchased.  He had also lent me a prototype of the 5's that I return when I received the Sticks, so I do have a basis of comparison that is based on my personal experience. 

Simply put, the 5's are great little Speakers; the Sticks are great Speakers period.  The difference in sound between the two is the richness of tone (besides the lower bass). 

It is amazing to me how Louis can take the same driver and achieve totally different results by using different enclosures. 

The Sticks are very responsive to the Electronics that are feeding them.  You want pure tone, give them so SETs and you will weep from the sheer beauty.  You want articulation along with that tone, give them some PP Pentodes.  You want them to rock out and head bang with the best of them they feed them so good SS with some muscle behind them.  The thing is, Louis is right, they do disappear.  Visually it is certainly easy to explain, but musically I keep saying that all that music cannot possibly be coming from those skinny little things!  It is one 4 1/2" driver, and you get deep articulate bass.  I have Jazz recording with Ray Brown and Milt Hnton on acoustic bass, and it is there, authority, nuance, and articulation.  I have Electronica recordings, Senor Coconut, Brent Lewis and the electronic bass has all the slam you want.  The midrange as in all of Louis's speakers is to die for, (Once you go Single Driver you never go back!) and the highs are clean and extended due in no small part to the weight of the bass. 

Now, are the Sticks the be all and end all?  One word, no.  They do not throw the incredible sound stage of the floor standing Bipole/Dipole Omega Speakers that I had, but they come close and the ease of placement (you can put them anywhere) more then makes up for it is this persons opinion. 

You say want a Super Speaker System? A System that is capable of playing anything at any volume?  A System that can sound as small or as large as the recording demands?  Well step right over here and do I have a deal for you! 

Combine the Sticks with the Omega Deep Hemp, or better yet a pair of Deep Hemps and your first thought will be, " My journey has ended, I am finally home"  Everything disappears but the music.  Those of you who have a Deep Hemp along with your main Omega Speakers will know exactly what I mean.  It is not about bass per se, but rather about a base for the music. 

Omega Speakers have always been about conveying the emotion of the music; it is not just a bunch of notes that are strung together, but a story being told.  The Sticks continue and add to this noble tradition. 

You're first reaction upon hearing the sticks is that they can't possibly be doing that.  Your second reaction is to go Shush, keep quite, can't you see that I am listening to music?  Your third reaction will be the question, "How Much?  and your fourth reaction will be, "Can I take this pair home?" 

I am seriously wavering on my commitment to the OBs. 

My Reference Recordings for the Sticks;

1. Johnny Hodges Saxophone Solo on Ishfahan from Duke Ellington's Far East Suite
2. Johnny Hartman singing Send In The Clowns from This Ones For Tedi
3. Bonnie Raitt singing Love Me Like A Man (Live Recording) From the Best of Bonnie Raitt
4. Aaron Neville singing Save The Last Dance For Me from Till The Night Ends a Tribute To Doc Pomus
5. Senor Coconut singing Kiss from Around The World
Nice overview. I know Louis takes R&D very seriously. Looks like he's hit on a winner.

JimP

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2009, 02:15 am »
Hi ZLS,

curious if you tried Stick (no sub) vs. Super 5 + sub?  If so, any observations?

hmen

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2009, 05:30 am »
Louis,
These are beautiful speakers tht are going to make a lot of peoples' wives happy. A couple of questions:
What is the efficiency? What is the price?
            Thanks,
                 Howard

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2009, 05:12 pm »
ZLS...
Combine the Sticks with the Omega Deep Hemp, or better yet a pair of Deep Hemps and your first thought will be, " My journey has ended, I am finally home"

They sounded very good at RMAF Zack... :thumb:
Nice work Louis....good luck with them... :beer:

Chris

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm »
Nice sounding Sticks, they image like a champ. An interesting effect I noticed was the sax on one cut was about 2' to the left of the left speaker, a real out-of-box experience. I'm sure the bed headboard that was still attached to the side wall made a nice reflecting surface but it was fun nonetheless.

Wayne

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2009, 08:47 pm »
This gives me visions of Omega built tapered quarter wave pipe (or better yet IMO a transmission line) designs.   :thumb:

As good as Louis has made ported designs sound, TQWP or TL would be a big step up with extended bass with 6 dB/octave bass roll off that matches room gain and a sloped baffle behind the driver to reflect mid/higher frequency sound coming off the back of the driver away (all drivers are quite acoustically transparent).

On the 1st point, given the shape & description these are going to function as an ML-TL so you have your wish granted. A very suitable design for the driver and it sounds like Louis has put a lot of effort into getting these right.

On the 2nd point, a TL rolls off between 12 & 24 dB / octave depending on how close to aperiodic the stuffing makes it.

dave

LeeInLdn

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:25 pm »
Any idea when the Sticks (and alnico Super Sticks) will be available and what prices they'll be going for? Need to see what my budget will allow.

Thanks.

akis

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2009, 02:34 pm »
Hi,
congrats for the new project. as far as I can comprehend, Stick stands as a serial killer in mid and low fs.
Please update www info soon  :drool:
akis

Louis O

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2009, 12:53 am »
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks and I will will be posting a lot more regarding the Sticks.

Many thanks for the great compliments too.

I do want to say that they are in production and I will post more pictures.
They are 93 dB and will sell for $1650 a pair in any finish. This includes the outriggers and the grilles as standard.

The alnico 4.5 will be a direct fit when it's ready. I have made a subtle change a while ago with all the speakers and this is the use of Brass machine screws with Zinc inserts. All models will have these now including the 3i's.

Switching drivers will take 5 minutes to do and I will have credit back for the ferrites when the time comes for the upgrade.

The alnico driver is taking a while and I still need to figure out quantity and this makes the biggest difference in cost. I do appreciate the patience everyone has with this and I want to do it right.

Thanks,
Louis

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:46 pm »
Verrrrry Interesting!

aa
Check your email Louis.

It will be an unfamiliar one to you, so check the subject line...

Gary

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2009, 09:47 pm »
Hi Gary,

Emailed you back.

Sounds great to me.

Thanks,
Louis