Multi-Amping

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Multi-Amping
« on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:04 pm »
This thread is devoted to customers using two, three or more amps in a single setup.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Multi-Amping
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:06 pm »
It occurred to me today that since there are 2 jumpers on the POT, you could jumper out one of the channels to run it at full tilt, and the second channel would be attenuated traditionally by the POT.... This would be interesting for DIYers who want to change the relative power sent to the tweeter/mid and woofer.

panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:12 am »
Oh darn!  I wish I had thought of that!  :duh:

1000a

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:31 am »
using 2, already pipe dreamed about 4 :lol: fiqures.

Seth this amp has sent me on a restless search of tweaking every little thing I can, not because it needs so much help but because of the layers of info it exposed that my PP tube amp could not- flat out amazing little amps.  Currently only running my TVC and not with my tube linestage which really ups the ante big time (and I'm in no hurry- it needs a slight repair)

With my set up and the 30/90 PS I have a (Take Five Audio) cryoed fig 8 converter inline so I could use real PCs.  More & more of everything well worth the 8.00 pieces.  I have removed all the rear housings on my RCAs, IECs, Plugs and placed black hole pad on them revealing a more open, airey detailed SS, and more recording venue ambience.  Hope others will give these simple tweaks a whirl.  I did so to reduce the mass of the connectors and removed excess dielectric, the BHP is used to quiet any micro vibrations on the connectors.

So while I am yapping is it possible for me to use 1 amp for tweeter and another for the bass/mid driver.  Currently I am using both spkr. taps (for bi-wired drivers) per amp, so I am feeding them with a DIY Y-cable.

Do I stand to gain substantially by such effort or is it overkill   :lol: (maybe you could ask Roger?) - my sub is SS powered and connected thru my pre amp(S).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:19 pm »
Post pictures!  Post pictures!

1000a

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:07 am »
Is it possible for me to use 1 current Virtue amp for tweeter and a 2nd generation Virtue amp for the bass/mid driver?  Or will impedance differences make this not doable?

Would I gain substantially by such effort? Could you could ask Roger?

Pictures coming soon.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2009, 04:14 am »
We're not going to give any specifics about next gen aside from assuring you guys that they're coming and they're going to continue our tradition of monster value.

dweekie

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2009, 05:11 am »
...continue our tradition of monster value.

Careful with that word; I wouldn't be surprised if Monster Cables even sues Merriam Webster for using it in the dictionary.....  :nono:  :duh:

It occurred to me today that since there are 2 jumpers on the POT, you could jumper out one of the channels to run it at full tilt, and the second channel would be attenuated traditionally by the POT.... This would be interesting for DIYers who want to change the relative power sent to the tweeter/mid and woofer.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared running one amp for both tweeters and one amp for both woofers versus running one amp for tweeters/woofers on each side?   

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2009, 09:32 pm »
...continue our tradition of monster value.

Careful with that word; I wouldn't be surprised if Monster Cables even sues Merriam Webster for using it in the dictionary.....  :nono:  :duh:

The famous Monster vs. Blue Jeans Cable. :)
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2009, 08:12 pm »
Any sonic benefit in using one Virtue Two for one channel as if they were monoblocks? need special rewiring to get this up and running? Will each set become more powerful or just the same? :duh:

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2009, 08:27 pm »
Any sonic benefit in using one Virtue Two for one channel as if they were monoblocks? need special rewiring to get this up and running? Will each set become more powerful or just the same? :duh:

No, the one channel will just pull all the available current from the power supply. You should get the same benefit by going with a custom 200+W power supply.

1000a

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2009, 09:29 pm »

No, the one channel will just pull all the available current from the power supply. You should get the same benefit by going with a custom 200+W power supply.

Would he not be using a separate PS for each amp and double his watts per channel?  I am confused :scratch:

thanks  1000a

dvenardos

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm »

Would he not be using a separate PS for each amp and double his watts per channel?  I am confused :scratch:

thanks  1000a

Yes, you can get the same result either by mono blocking two Virtues or using one Virtue with a custom power supply.

The max is 100 wpc you can achieve that either way.

edit: when mono-blocking the Virtues you aren't bridging the two channels you are just allowing one channel to pull all the power from the power supply. The two channels can't be bridged.

panomaniac

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:50 am »
Many owners had reported great results with monoblocks.  We've sold quite few for this use.
I've tried it and like it, too.

You not only get twice the potential current (2 power supplies), you get almost infinitely low amplifier crosstalk.  True, you don't really get any more watts, but it does sound better, no doubt about it.

1000a

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:55 pm »
Thanks guys, :D

OK I believe I have it but potential increased current has me stumped.

I have 2 30/90 PS w mono amps, is going to the 30/130 PS even worth the expense?

I now get 6amp/30v/180w total (90 watts per channel) - correct?

Would I get (8.6amp/30v/200w total) or (6.6 amp/30v/200w total) with the upgrade?

Do I divide 260 (2x130) by 30 or 200 divided by 30? :scratch:

The upgraded watts 100 vs 90 seems not worth 200 more.

4.3 amp vs 3 amp sounds maybe worth it / 3.3 vs 3 amp certainly not.
I am not complaining just trying to educate my self.

Many owners had reported great results with monoblocks.  We've sold quite few for this use.
I've tried it and like it, too.

You not only get twice the potential current (2 power supplies), you get almost infinitely low amplifier crosstalk.  True, you don't really get any more watts, but it does sound better, no doubt about it.

dvenardos

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2009, 12:05 am »
I think you are at the point where the math doesn't really matter anymore and the question becomes the quality of the power supply. If you upgraded you would have more current than the amp could use so both your results apply but if it would make a difference is impossible to say. Perhaps Micheal will chime in again.

panomaniac

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2009, 02:21 am »
I believe you are right. It becomes the quality of the power at this point.   I have never tried bi-amping with 130W supplies.  If I could ever keep 2 long enough, I might!

What you have is a very good setup.  The lust for more is just that - the lust for more.  We are all subject to it from time to time. ;)   But it may sound better, who knows?  There are a few Virtue owners out there doing this.

1000a

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:37 pm »
I think you are at the point where the math doesn't really matter anymore and the question becomes the quality of the power supply. If you upgraded you would have more current than the amp could use so both your results apply but if it would make a difference is impossible to say. Perhaps Micheal will chime in again.

I believe you are right. It becomes the quality of the power at this point.   I have never tried bi-amping with 130W supplies.  If I could ever keep 2 long enough, I might!

What you have is a very good setup.  The lust for more is just that - the lust for more.  We are all subject to it from time to time. ;)   But it may sound better, who knows?  There are a few Virtue owners out there doing this.

Thanks again guys,

:duh: pano is Michael  :lol:

Very good, I will eventually try the 130s but you are right and it does sound unbelievably good on good recordings- smokes my big tube amp- but some how maintains it's glorious mid-range and adds more detail to it.  Still got to fix my linestage (w it inline the system is off the charts good) but summer has called me- outside whenever possible. :D

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2009, 06:09 pm »

Thanks again guys,

:duh: pano is Michael  :lol:

Very good, I will eventually try the 130s but you are right and it does sound unbelievably good on good recordings- smokes my big tube amp- but some how maintains it's glorious mid-range and adds more detail to it.  Still got to fix my linestage (w it inline the system is off the charts good) but summer has called me- outside whenever possible. :D

dear 1000a, I have both 90watt and 130watt ps. After you have compared them, you won't go back to 90watt one. You may not be able to hear a very big difference if your speakers are very sensitive in the range of 93db-100db, but when you are using them to drive less sensitive loudspeakers, the difference is not so funny. :nono:

1000a

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2009, 06:45 pm »

dear 1000a, I have both 90watt and 130watt ps. After you have compared them, you won't go back to 90watt one. You may not be able to hear a very big difference if your speakers are very sensitive in the range of 93db-100db, but when you are using them to drive less sensitive loudspeakers, the difference is not so funny. :nono:

Are you running mono amps?  Thanks, 1000a