VirtueTwo

Silver Black

• T-Forum Administrator
    • T-Forum
VirtueTwo
« on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:36 am »
I have the Virtue Two "pumped-up" version (130w) and it really rocks!!! I love to re-listen to all my CDs!  :drool:

rhing

Re: VirtueTwo
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:49 pm »
Silver Black,

Glad you like your Virtue Two. I bought one too with a 130 watt SMPS after evaluating one for a few weeks. It really is special compared to other T-amps on the market. On top of that, it can hold its own in the company of other good amps (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66822.40).

I am ordering a TKD 10k conductive plastic stereo pot as an upgrade. I am also considering a pair of V-cap Oil Impregnated Metallized Polypropylene (OIMP) film/foil/oil caps for the input caps as well. Space is limited inside the chassis, so it might be difficult to fit in the caps. Maybe down the road, I'll look inside the 130 watt SMPS and make tweaks there as well.

panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:00 pm »
The TKD pots are very nice.  I think you'll like it.  But I'd go with 20K, given the choice.

rhing

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:14 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Parts Connexion only lists 10k, 50k and 100k. Michael Percy has 25k listed in his catalog, but that might be an error because I don't see 25k listed in TKD's data sheet. If I have to choose between 10k and 50k, which would you recommend?

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2009, 03:39 pm »
can you u tell me something more about the tkd pot?

I have my Pop Pulse t150 modded with an SMD resistor type pot, and it is a big improvement in clarity over the orignal alps pot.

I am also considering changing the auricap to either mundorf silver-in-oil, not sure if this will bring a further improvement

Welborne

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2009, 03:41 pm »
oh, i meant changing the auricap in my Virtue 2 (not pop pulse) to mundorf.  I have  both pop pulse and virtue 2

aa

ChrisM

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:17 am »
I will pair my Virtue Two with a Red Wine Audio Imod. Will try the Battery and looking at one of Danny's kits to build. Should be sweet :drool: :drool: Review later

panomaniac

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:50 am »
10K of 50K.  Hmmm.. good question.  It kinda depends on your source.  50K will be easier to drive for most sources.  But you'll have to turn it up just a bit more than the 10K because of the voltage divider it forms with the input circuit.

As for input caps, please feel free to experiment.  Some folks like Auricap, other don't.  Find what works best for you.

doorman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2009, 03:56 am »
I will pair my Virtue Two with a Red Wine Audio Imod. Will try the Battery and looking at one of Danny's kits to build. Should be sweet :drool: :drool: Review later
Looking forward to more impressions of the SLA battery mod compared to the upgraded PS!
Don

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:01 am »
Is anyone bypassing the pot entirely to go with a standalone preamp?

ttan98

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:03 am »
It would interesting to read reports from those who change over to the battery powered Virtue One or Two.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2009, 06:03 am »
It would interesting to read reports from those who change over to the battery powered Virtue One or Two.

How much of a difference will battery power make?  I think that depends on where you live.  Living out in the boonies and away from heavy industry, battery power doesn't seem sound any better than AC in my experience.

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2009, 09:57 am »
I have a Virtue 2 and pulled it apart the other day, having read the instructions on the site that show how to change it over for operation as a power amp. Not too much of a chore to do; you have to loosen the pot out of the chassis to get at the jumpers, but changing these over is easy with needle nose pliers. Hooking the LED back up was harder!

Hooked up my Lightspeed Attenuator but wasnt that blown away. I think that the low input impedance of the V2 doesnt quite work with the Lightspeed.

However, I would have to say the Lightspeed is far and away the best passive preamp I have ever encountered. Its transparency is excellent, like Windex on a filthy pane, and I just love how piano and guitar and voice sound through this. Moreover, it is far less of a pain impedance matching than any other passive Ive tried.

One note of caution. If you have sensitive speakers, and lots of output from your source, the lowest position on the volume control may be too loud for low level listening. I can change the output on my CDP but with high sensitivity speakers - mine are Visaton B200s - you may get caught out with too much gain, not enough attenuation.

As many have mentioned, the V2 on its own is a bit of a shock, given its price. I would be v interested to hear how the TDK 10K pot goes in this amp. I have often been surprised at just how much of an improvement a change to the pot makes.

ttan98

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2009, 01:58 pm »

How much of a difference will battery power make?  I think that depends on where you live.  Living out in the boonies and away from heavy industry, battery power doesn't seem sound any better than AC in my experience.

Danny from GR research  found a big difference in sound reproduction, obviously battery powered sounded better.

doorman

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:37 pm »
Yes, I'm using a Transcendent Sound pre with a Virtue 1. The height and width of the soundstage is enhanced. More of the "nuances" seem to be present. As noted above though, the gain on sensitive speakers  (94db/w/m) has me looking at a stepped attenuator.
Don

BradJudy

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:38 pm »
I have my Pop Pulse t150 modded with an SMD resistor type pot, and it is a big improvement in clarity over the orignal alps pot.

Is this a mini stepped attenuator made to fit an Alps Blue pinout?  I've never seen this.  Where did you get it?  How many steps is it?

Welborne

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2009, 07:45 pm »
Bradjudy,

I don't konw where my friend got mine (he did it for me) but i found later there is something similar and perhaps of even better built quality available at diyhifisupply.com of Brian Cherry, Hong Kong.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2009, 10:52 pm »

Danny from GR research  found a big difference in sound reproduction, obviously battery powered sounded better.

Well perhaps Danny doesn't live where I live?  In the community where I live there isn't much population or heavy industry, or any industry for that matter.  We never have power outages here as we have an abundance of hydro electricity in so much that we export most of it to the USA. 

I've tried a few different T amps with batteries vs. a good SMPS.  And in the context of where I live, there just isn't any audible difference.  But if you live in a densely populated area, or near large factories, then I suspect batteries will make a difference.

1000a

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2009, 09:57 pm »
I am using a V1 not a V2 but the feed back should still apply

Yes I am bypassing vol pot, I am using a Prometheus TVC.
see 112 pg. thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31621.0 

Currently standard model $360.00 on sale no shipping:  http://www.promitheusaudio.com/sale.html   

Plenty of ACers (w other amps) use a TVC from them and are tickled pink, my self included.  When used with my Virtue One's about 2-3 pm on the stepped vol. gives me "loud" (my spkrs. are 89 db) music so there are many settings below that for quieter music or late night settings.

When I use my tube linestage in the mix I can achieve higher volumes at lower settings on the TVC and gain additional sonic benifits, but it was part of my tube DAC anyway so no addition $$ were invested IMS.  A TVC for 360. is insanely cheap.  Most start at a grand.

If I had to choose between the tube linestage and the TVC, I would choose the TVC.  Do a search for Promitheus TVC and ask around the circle for more feedback. :D

the TVC improves every area of the presentation period, but it does so with a slight sacrafice of PRAT and dynamics- it is slight and most people could live with it.  I have gained back much of this w revealing ICs and SCs done DIY w magwire. read CHEAP  :D

Anyway my tube-linestage is currently out of the mix- needs minor repair and I am not missing it for 4 weeks and in no rush.

If my linestage was not also a DAC, I would have a TVC for 360. and seek a very simple low cost tube pre ( I do not know the names but some came up in the Virtue threads prior to the Virtue Circle starting)

say 310. for a V1, 360. for a TVC, say 2-300. for a tube pre and you are in very serious HE audio.   :drool: for 1/5 to 1/10 the price.

ck my prior posts and the threads they are under much good info was all ready out there prior to the Virtue Circle starting.

1000a

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2009, 09:59 pm »
looking forward to hearing feed back from any people who try the battery route or alternate PS DIY or off the shelf.  Thanks a mill. :D