Time Spent: BCD vs. BDP

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Time Spent: BCD vs. BDP
« on: 17 Jan 2018, 07:44 pm »
I would be interested to know, from owners of both the BCD and BDP players, how much time do you spend listening to each player? Percentage wise.

For myself, it is roughly 35% BCD and 45% BDP (the rest 20% is vinyl).

cheers

Pundamilia

Re: Time Spent: BCD vs. BDP
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:39 pm »
99% BDP-2 vs.  1%  BCD-1

That 1% is attributable to my wife who when she has problems and gets frustrated with getting the BDP-BDA combination to do what she wants, reverts to the CD player which is simple, straightforward and which she understands.  :scratch: :scratch:

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2018, 01:16 am »
I would be interested to know, from owners of both the BCD and BDP players, how much time do you spend listening to each player? Percentage wise.

For myself, it is roughly 35% BCD and 45% BDP (the rest 20% is vinyl).

cheers

BCD-3 100% and BDP-1 0% since purchasing the BCD-3

I was listening on my PC i7 for about a week, the sound quality is very good. So then I played the very same recording that I'm quite familiar with on the BCD-3. The BCD-3 just exhibits music in a more detailed transparent manner. I wouldn't say the difference is huge but that percentage difference whatever it is for me engages me into the music sounding more 'live' like and I get my music fix. :smoke:

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2018, 09:37 pm »
I don't own a Bryston CD player, but I am 99.9% BDP-2 and .1% Sony XA-5400ES.

Calypte

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2018, 10:33 pm »
Since I just got my BDP-pi, I can't give a realistic percentage.  Right now I'm using the BDP 95%, but that may not be the case a few months from now.  The BCD-3, no matter how fine it may be for playing CDs, is a non-starter for me.  It won't play SACDs, of which I have quite a few.  To be worth $3500 it needs to do a lot more than play plain old redbook CDs.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2018, 12:12 am »
The BCD-3, no matter how fine it may be for playing CDs, is a non-starter for me.  It won't play SACDs, of which I have quite a few.  To be worth $3500 it needs to do a lot more than play plain old redbook CDs.

Agreed on this.

Even with BCD-1, which retailed for about $2500 back then, it was a head-scratcher for me....but no regrets so far ....it's a lifer for my rig.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:13 am »
Redbook cd is much better than what we ever expected. The BCD1 proved that to me over the last 5 years and now my BCD3 is taking it further.  Records I have listened to dozens of times are now surprising me with greater detail and realism. Even the senses of space and imaging are on a higher level . I thank Bryston for yet again choosing  to make a device that rekindles my digital  listening experience . Money well spent if you can appreciate the result achieved ....bravo. :thumb:

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:51 am »
BDP-3 70%, BDP-29%,Bot 1%, BDC-1 0% unless the bot has a hard time reading the cd.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2018, 01:23 am »
curious if you guys are running your BCD through the BDA2..? :scratch:

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2018, 01:40 am »

With the BCD-3 I have to use 2-channel bypass on my SP2 to Yamaha MG-10 mixer to amps, as it doesn't process well piggybacked with SP2 digital dac and/or BDA-1.

With all other sources I have them connected through the BDA-1 piggybacked to the SP2 dac to Yamaha MG-10 mixer to Bryston 3B-SST/2 amps. :smoke:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:07 am »

No, straight to my linestage. It already has a very capable DAC and clock inside it. Besides, it sounds better straight thru.

Shortest signal path wins every time.

Besides, it's silly to spend $2500 on a device that just spins a disc to get 0s and 1s to a separate DAC (i.e. a transport). :nono:

cheers

TJ-Sully

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2018, 08:39 pm »
CM, i think silly depends on the user. there are CD transports out there far greater than 2500 hun.
and i believe the pathway is more complicated than simply transporting 0's and 1's.

anyhow, i'm curious whether folks have tried a A/B test  digital out to BDA2 vs. straight into the preamp.

james, any insight?

TJ.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2018, 10:08 pm »
TJ, well that would be news to me if a CD transport did more to 0s and 1s than relay them out to a DAC. Much of the price tag for some of the more expen$ive CDPs out there comes from the analog output circuit design (including power supply routing/isolation). DAC chips are a dime a dozen, and so are most CD drives.

There are indeed much more pricey players out there, but that argument is too cliche. A bit like arguing that an $80,000 Mercedes is great "value" because a Rolls costs $1M. How many actually own a Rolls, and in both cases, the end result is exactly the same -- the owner gets to point B, his destination, in the same physical state as when he started. Most audiophiles (or car owners) don't base their spending on the basis of the maximum price point currently in the marketplace.

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2018, 10:13 pm »
anyhow, i'm curious whether folks have tried a  :o digital out to BDA2 vs. straight into the preamp.

TJ.

I did a long time ago. I assume you are referring to a BCD. Came to the conclusion that there was no audible difference.

(I used a BDA-1, which is the same as the BDA-2 that you mention (apart from USB, which I don't recommend) ).

Pundamilia

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm »
@TJ

You might be interested in this response from JT.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155098.0

TJ-Sully

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Pundamilia. i just read james' response to your question, where JT indicates less jitter via BCD-1 >> pre-amp vs. BCD1 >> BDA>>preamp. Then adds, with the BDA3 - jitter is negligible.

I would be inclined to plug the BCD1 to the BDA3. I believe other factors - like more advance DAC chips, power supplies and output stage may bring additional sonic benefits....and sound different. Maybe even better... :scratch:

Have you tried both pathways?

TJ

TJ-Sully

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:59 pm »
TJ, well that would be news to me if a CD transport did more to 0s and 1s than relay them out to a DAC. Much of the price tag for some of the more expen$ive CDPs out there comes from the analog output circuit design (including power supply routing/isolation). DAC chips are a dime a dozen, and so are most CD drives.

There are indeed much more pricey players out there, but that argument is too cliche. A bit like arguing that an $80,000 Mercedes is great "value" because a Rolls costs $1M. How many actually own a Rolls, and in both cases, the end result is exactly the same -- the owner gets to point B, his destination, in the same physical state as when he started. Most audiophiles (or car owners) don't base their spending on the basis of the maximum price point currently in the marketplace.

cheers

what planet are you on CM?

Pundamilia

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:46 am »
To tell you the truth, I almost never listen to the BCD-1 anymore. My listening is nearly exclusively using the BDP.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2018, 12:59 am »
I hear ya. I'm about the same. In my case,  BDP1>>BDA2 - but sometimes it's nice to throw a disc in the 'ol tray....and run it through the DAC :)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:15 am »
what planet are you on CM?

The real world, man. Where CD transports costing thousands ain't really mainstream.

Can we get back to the topic of this thread??

Time spent BCD vs BDP.....