Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.

TWINSKI66

Re: Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.
« Reply #100 on: 4 Oct 2017, 01:23 am »
Day one listening:  I set my S3Es up around noon today and haven't stopped listening (it’s now 8pm).  Man...what a treat.  I don’t know that I can accurately describe the sound signature of these.  But ‘hear’ goes.  To my ears they don’t have one...& that’s a VERY good thing...neutral (flat response) seems to be Salks magic show.  You simply hear all of the music (timbre) in a recording being casted into a space in an unbelievable way.

For those seeking a 3 way tower I would strongly recommend these for 3 reasons:   

1) Efficiency.  They’ll do the whole low-volume & full soundstage thing, for late night listening, with ease.  You don’t have to crank them to hear the music.  I’m running Krell’s Digital Vanguard integrated amp.  I suspect any moderate amp will do.  And yes...they sound awesome being driven up in volume too!  Just simply not required.

2) Imaging.  These are not fussy about room placement.  They push the music into the room in a way that marvels the listener.  They put you centerstage from various seating positions.   

3) Overall design & beauty.  You’re rewarded with true craftsmanship...tweeter & 4” mid combo were well thought out along with the bass driver accompaniment down low.  The impeccable wood finish ties everything together making this one very solid speaker system.

Thanks to Jim & staff I can worry less about equipment & get back to listening to music.

Note:  The majority....if not all of my initial music selections were Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers).  Not only to honor his legacy...but simply because of his great artistry.  Man...despite the state of the world...music gives me life & hope.

Happy listening to all.

Grbluen

« Reply #101 on: 4 Oct 2017, 05:09 pm »
@Twinski66,
I dont think there was any doubt that you'd love them!  I have the early Song 3s, and I  most love that I never get the urge to turn them off! Bedtime is a sad time!

JDoyle

« Reply #102 on: 4 Oct 2017, 08:28 pm »

1) Efficiency. ....You don’t have to crank them to hear the music.  I’m running Krell’s Digital Vanguard integrated amp.  I suspect any moderate amp will do.  And yes...they sound awesome being driven up in volume too!  Just simply not required.

This portion of your nicely written review has me really excited! I'm at the stage where I' don't always "crank it up" and probably 75- 80% of my listening is at moderate levels.

I have a few more months to wait fo my S3E's though...    :(

JD

birbygdad

« Reply #103 on: 4 Oct 2017, 09:04 pm »
Hey folks. I have a pair of Song3 on order. We are looking at before Thanksgiving. According to all I read here and elsewhere it's gonna be fun!

Grbluen

« Reply #104 on: 4 Oct 2017, 11:33 pm »
@birbygdad,
What options, if any,  did you go with?

birbygdad

« Reply #105 on: 5 Oct 2017, 03:58 am »
I asked for the standard curly walnut with dark stain. Sort of like it you got super lucky with AR3as back in the day. Of course I fully expect the sound to be different and much better. It's been a fine experience with Salk. Takes time to get them but I have convinced myself that the combo of sound and craftsmanship and value makes the wait worthwhile. I didn't opt for any upgrades.in the beginning of this process i had tried to buy Dennis Murphy's Slim Towers. He sent me to Mr. Salk. Do any of you know the relationship those two have in terms of design and building?

Jeff in the D

« Reply #106 on: 5 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm »
Not that you need it but I second your selection of the curly walnut with a dark stain.
That's the same combination as I selected for my SS8's, curly walnut with a dark walnut finish.
They look wonderful, elegant, yours will too.
Jeff

Paul K.

« Reply #107 on: 5 Oct 2017, 02:12 pm »
Dennis has designed the bulk of the crossovers in Salk Speakers, and Jim also manufactures some of the complete speaker designs that Dennis created for his Philharmonic Audio brand.  Other people, like Jeff Bagby, have done complete designs for Jim, and I did a number of TL cabinet designs, but not crossovers, for Jim's brand.
Paul

I didn't opt for any upgrades.in the beginning of this process i had tried to buy Dennis Murphy's Slim Towers. He sent me to Mr. Salk. Do any of you know the relationship those two have in terms of design and building?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #108 on: 6 Oct 2017, 12:52 am »
Just so there aren't any misunderstandings, I don't profit from any referrals I give for Salk speakers.  I just know the most about those speakers, since I have designed most of the crossovers.  I don't receive any royalties for the designs. 

birbygdad

« Reply #109 on: 6 Oct 2017, 02:12 am »
I certainly appreciate the heads up Mr. Murphy gave me about the Salk3. I'll show up here again when mine arrive with a report.

mixsterdude

« Reply #110 on: 8 Oct 2017, 01:52 am »
Day one listening:  I set my S3Es up around noon today and haven't stopped listening (it’s now 8pm).  Man...what a treat.  I don’t know that I can accurately describe the sound signature of these.  But ‘hear’ goes.  To my ears they don’t have one...& that’s a VERY good thing...neutral (flat response) seems to be Salks magic show.  You simply hear all of the music (timbre) in a recording being casted into a space in an unbelievable way.

For those seeking a 3 way tower I would strongly recommend these for 3 reasons:   

1) Efficiency.  They’ll do the whole low-volume & full soundstage thing, for late night listening, with ease.  You don’t have to crank them to hear the music.  I’m running Krell’s Digital Vanguard integrated amp.  I suspect any moderate amp will do.  And yes...they sound awesome being driven up in volume too!  Just simply not required.

2) Imaging.  These are not fussy about room placement.  They push the music into the room in a way that marvels the listener.  They put you centerstage from various seating positions.   

3) Overall design & beauty.  You’re rewarded with true craftsmanship...tweeter & 4” mid combo were well thought out along with the bass driver accompaniment down low.  The impeccable wood finish ties everything together making this one very solid speaker system.

Thanks to Jim & staff I can worry less about equipment & get back to listening to music.

Note:  The majority....if not all of my initial music selections were Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers).  Not only to honor his legacy...but simply because of his great artistry.  Man...despite the state of the world...music gives me life & hope.

Happy listening to all.

Great review, Twinski and I agree with everything you said.  Your Song3E's are beautiful!!  I love walnut.  I really had a hard time deciding between walnut and the PF rosewood.  I ended up making my new media cabinet with walnut.  :D