has anyone heard the audio artistry cbt speakers?

JohnR

Re: has anyone heard the audio artistry cbt speakers?
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:04 am »
Please excuse me if I come across as ignorant, but unfortunately I cannot seem to get any response from AudioArtistry :-(.. I have had the kit for some time and still have to finish the cabinets. So I have a long way to go
So my question is how difficult is to configure the mindsp 10x10 HD for optimal sound out of the CBT36s?

To configure the DSP, you need a configuration file in .XML format. I can't help with any specifics about the CBT36 or AA but that is what you need for the DSP. I would have assumed you would get one with your build plans etc.

Bjorn

« Reply #41 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:37 am »
Audioartistry has the file for Behringer DCX2496 here:
http://www.audioartistry.com/support.htm

I use a miniDSP 4x10 Hd at the moment, but I'm getting a Hypex DLCP very soon that will replace the miniDSP.

The CBT36s are great speakers. Measure flatter then anything I've had. For $2000 it's a bargain. Can they compare to the absolutely best horn speakers with a top beryllium compression driver? Probably not in every aspect with theses dome tweeters, but I'm not sure and hope to find out in near future.

Just moved them to another room. I'll share some more impressions when I get the DLCP set up.

athakuria

« Reply #42 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »
Thank you. I have managed to finish up the cabinets, after having practiced how to paint for a long time :-). Cant seem to get the information on the mini DSP settings, it would be great anyone here can provide them. Also while I am waiting to hear on the kind of amps to drive the CBT36s from audioartistry, does anyone here have any recommendations?  I am planning to stream TIDAL through it. Thanks in advance. I am really not very savvy with this kind of stuff.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #43 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:38 am »
I would contact Rick Craig at Selah Audio.. I believe he is knowledgeable and a super guy.

Bjorn

« Reply #44 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:23 am »
I have mini DSP settings for the CBT36.

I recommend Ncore NC400 if you want clean and undistorted sound. It's the best measuring amp on the market.

athakuria

« Reply #45 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:25 pm »
Thank you. Do you think you can send me the settings please.

ServoWoofer

« Reply #46 on: 12 May 2016, 06:14 am »
Hey Everyone, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Don's son Kevin and I helped him produce a video about the CBT technology including lots of real-time testing that you may enjoy. Just follow the link below.

10, 2016 Don and Kevin Keele have released "The CBT Chronicles" on 'The Official D.B. Keele, Jr. Youtube page'. The CBT Chronicles are a nine-part video series by inventor Don Keele covering the history and technology of CBT (Constant Beamwidth Transducer) loudspeaker arrays including detailed comparative measurements of a traditional speaker system and a CBT array. You can access the playlist at: http://tinyurl.com/CBTChronicles (redirecting to Youtube)
For further information contact Don Keele at DKeeleJr@Comcast.net

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #47 on: 12 May 2016, 12:39 pm »
What about time alignment. For that the shape should be the opposite, such as an arch of a radius with your ears as the center.

Imaging is super important to me and I like it holographic. Don't know if I would like a forest of sound verses holographic.

Rocket Ronny

nickd

« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2016, 02:57 pm »
Rocket Ronny,

Read Don's white papers if you want to understand how the CBT arrays are time aligned. Imaging? I challenge you to find a single driver loudspeaker that will Image like the CBT when properly set up. It is very astonishing how well they image. :o

The only weak spot of the kit, is the quality of the drivers (the tweeters). The design is indeed low distortion, but you can hear the tweeters as they have a sound of their own. However I suppose that can be said about every driver to some extent.

Nick

Dan Texas

« Reply #49 on: 14 Jul 2016, 04:37 pm »
I'm new to this forum, but have been playing with speaker design for a long time.  One thing may affect the 'hearing the tweeters' in the sound is the front of the cabinets.  It is not often given serious consideration, but some sound from the drivers propagates across the surface of the front of the cabinet.  When these surface waves hit the edges of the cabinet, they encounter an 'acoustic impedance mismatch', which causes a portion of the surface waves to reflect back, and a portion to be radiated out into the room with various delays.

Rather than arguing about the audibility of this effect, it is easy to test it by dampening it out.  An easy way to do that is to use a towel.  The fuzzy terry cloth tends to dampen surface waves.  Just take a towel, cut holes in it for the drivers (make the holes maybe 1/4' bigger than the radiating surface of the drivers), and stick it on the surface of the cabinet.  For better results, make two layers.

For such a big cabinet with multiple drivers as the CBT36, try making the terry cloth with holes in it for the drivers cover just a foot or two of the cabinet, then listen up close to the damped portion and undamped portion of the cabinet.  Try pink noise if you can.  You'll probably hear a difference, and may like the sound.  If so, you can try doing this for the whole cabinet.  The effect may be dramatic enough that you may want to tweak the electrical EQ.  But the net result should be that it sounds less 'speakerish'.

dziemian

« Reply #50 on: 21 Jun 2018, 12:32 pm »
Bjorn is working on a new model altogather with Don Keele. I dont know whot the progress is though.