Schiit Yggdrasil

resovia

Re: Schiit Yggdrasil
« Reply #40 on: 24 Oct 2016, 09:42 pm »
I should add, I only have  Yggy DAC plugged in for over 36 hours. I will give it 5~7 days before the final verdict.
So far both DACs sound excellent.

*Scotty*

« Reply #41 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm »
You should be actually using the DAC to play music 24/7 for at least two weeks before attempting to evaluate it, you won't have realistic idea of what it will if it is just powered up and used occasionally during the 7 day period.
Scotty

bacobits1

« Reply #42 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm »
The 2 week period is just about right mainly keeping it on all the time. I pumped streaming through it for a week. Mine has been on since Feb.
Would I like a Mutec, sure but not for 1k. I use an Itona and it's just fine.
I'm a little sick of all these $$$ add-ons for digital. I had a Regen / LPS and the Itona industrial version has worked better.We all have to determine what to spend and what is best for our systems.

MttBsh

« Reply #43 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:11 pm »
Hi all,

This might be a bit off-topic, but I recently bought a "Mutec MC3+USB" reclocking device.  It has other functionality, but I'm using it ahead of my Schiit Yggy DAC.  My expectations weren't very high since the Yggy already performs anti-jitter processing.

I was amazed at the improvement.  I was getting really annoyed with an upper midrange hardness, glassiness, or glare depending on the recording and music.  The Mutec completely cleaned that up.  No downsides with better imaging, coherence, and low level information.  The box lists for $1100.  Mutec is also coming out with a new external 10 MHz rubidium atomic clock that can be plugged into the MC3.  It was designed to feed the high quality clock signal to multiple devices in mastering studios, so it has many sets of outputs for a clock signal.  However, that's going to run around $5k, so it would have to really transform the system to justify the price for just feeding a DAC.

The MC3 needs to run for a few days to reach its best sound.  The first day, the sound was a bit dry.  Then, it got more full and had better imaging.  After about 5 days or so, there was a noticeable improvement in the extreme top end with added delicacy, air, and speed.

Robert

If I may ask, what source are you using ahead of the Mutec?
Thx

kernelbob

« Reply #44 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:21 am »
If I may ask, what source are you using ahead of the Mutec?
Thx
I'm using a PS-Audio PerfectWave Transport.  Yes, still spinning the silver disks.  Of course, I also send any other audio source to the Mutec/Yggy such as DVD/BluRay and streaming sources.  The improvement using the Mutec is obvious on any source.  I haven't tried the Mutec with my PS-Audio PerfectWave DAC since I prefer the Yggy.  I prefer either of them to the DirectStream which I auditioned (yes running it for almost a month).

Output from the Yggy goes to a Tortuga LDRxB balanced controller/attenuator.  From there one set of balanced outputs goes to a pair of modified Kronzilla amps (each using a quad of 300BXLS tubes) for the Mid/Treble.  A second set of balanced outputs go to a Tortuga LDR1B for level matching and from there to a pair of Spectron monoblocks for the bass.  Speakers are VonSchweikert VR100XS.  All cabling is MasterBuilt Ultra with MasterBuilt Signature power cords.

By the way, for those wanting to convert one type of input (e.g. USB, Toslink, SPDIF, AES/EBU) to another (SPDIF, AES/EBU), the Mutec handles that as well.

Robert

MttBsh

« Reply #45 on: 26 Oct 2016, 02:25 pm »
Thanks Robert for your response, your audio gear is about as good as it gets - your cabling alone costs more than my whole setup! The fact that the Mutec makes a big improvement is impressive. My Yggy too feeds a Tortuga passive, which in turn feeds a Job 225 amp and I love the results. I'm in the market for a streamer, which is why I was curious of what you use as a source. It's good to know the Yggy really benefits from the Mutec, thanks again.

Cappy

« Reply #46 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:54 pm »
I've got a Yggy with a Mutec too.  I am using a Sonore microRendu fed by an Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS-1 supply.  Really great digital!

MttBsh

« Reply #47 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:40 pm »
I've got a Yggy with a Mutec too.  I am using a Sonore microRendu fed by an Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS-1 supply.  Really great digital!

The Sonictransporter/Microrendu, plus power supply is the source I'm looking to get for my Yggy too, I'm sure it makes for an amazing combo

Dmason

« Reply #48 on: 26 Oct 2016, 07:38 pm »
Matt: your Inbox is full please delete some messages.  ~Dan

kernelbob

« Reply #49 on: 26 Oct 2016, 09:02 pm »
The fact that the Mutec makes a big improvement is impressive. My Yggy too feeds a Tortuga passive, which in turn feeds a Job 225 amp and I love the results.
Matt, the Tortuga is a steal, performing way above its price class.  I've heard it best several five figure preamps in head to head comparisons.  I'm using Morten's balanced LDRxB with his recently developed capability for absolute phase/polarity switching (via the remote).  Mine was the first unit to get that feature.  Interestingly, that adds no additional complexity to the signal path with all input switching and volume control done with LDRs... no switches, potentiometers, or capacitors in the signal path.

By the way, have you been using the USB input to the Yggy?  I've seen comments where folks weren't too impressed with the Yggy's USB performance.  If so, that would be another benefit from the Mutec since it can convert USB input (or any other input type) to a different protocol at the outputs.

Robert

MttBsh

« Reply #50 on: 27 Oct 2016, 01:11 am »
Robert - yes, the Tortuga LDR certainly is a steal, I thought my Dodd preamp was the best until I put the Tortuga passive in and I've never heard anything like it -  music emerging from pure silence, crystal clear 3d where background details just float in the air, I love it!
So far I've used only USB and Optical input to the Yggy and both sound great, I haven't toyed with any USB filters/enhancers yet but that will come soon.

resovia

« Reply #51 on: 16 Nov 2016, 02:15 am »
Schiit Yggdrasil  vs nuPrime DAC 10 update:
Decided to keep nuPrime DAC and ship Yggdrasil back to Schiit.

AGrede

« Reply #52 on: 3 Dec 2016, 07:18 pm »
Schiit Yggdrasil  vs nuPrime DAC 10 update:
Decided to keep nuPrime DAC and ship Yggdrasil back to Schiit.
What were your final impressions?
Thanks.