Jeff Rowland Design Group

macrojack

• Restricted
Jeff Rowland Design Group
« on: 15 Apr 2014, 11:26 am »
I have to wonder why there is so little mention of products from this manufacturer here in Audio Circle. My experience says it is the epitome of quality and has unusually high resale, yet AC members never seem to take any notice. What am I missing? Why don't you guys own or discuss Rowland?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Jeff Rowland Design Group
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:25 pm »
Magazines adverts cost alot of money, even text merchandising inside a article are expensive.

In the 90s when this company was called Rowland Research they was at top of the praise of the late Audio mag-USA and Stereo Review and more others, they were more deified than Krell.

But at some time the money ended.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:04 pm »
I have a Rowland amp that I've always liked.  Personally, I always wished they'd put the same electronics in a cheaper "box" and charged less.  The aluminum look, while cool, is overkill.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:24 pm »
Once in the late 90s I listen the RR Model 1 and the Mckormack DNA1 in the same system.
The Model 1 trashed the big DNA1.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:37 pm »
Personally, I always wished they'd put the same electronics in a cheaper "box" and charged less.  The aluminum look, while cool, is overkill.

Different strokes for different folks.  The gaudy aluminum look would prevent me from owning a Rowland.

Steve

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2014, 06:20 pm »
That's the first time I've heard anyone call Rowland gaudy. Up close and personal, it looks opulent. There is a sense of refinement and precision in the casework. I currently have the Capri preamp in black. It is a solid, compact beautiful piece of industrial art. I have lately been thinking about replacing it with the newer Capri S2. In the process of noodling around the JRDG website I came across his new Continuum S2 integrated and started thinking about replacing my Capri and my NCore 400 monos with that unit.

Because I was on the fence about the change in equipment and a lot of money going out, I did a search of AC to see what you guys might have to say. The surprising lack of commentary about Rowland stuff led me to start this thread.

About the casework, it is part of the design - not just an expensive box. My Capri chassis is machined from a solid billet just like Aluminati, although Jeff has been doing it for 20 years that I can attest to. The chassis acts as heat sink and mechanical and electrical isolation. Even the inside is milled out to provide pockets of isolation inside. The rear panel is rigid so there is no deflection when you press interconnects into place. The front panel design is his calling card just like a BMW or Mercedes or Alfa grill. In the case of the power amps, the heat sinks are cut into the external surfaces in a Fibonacci pattern to minimize resonances in the casework.

There is much more to know about Rowland if one chooses to investigate. For my part, I have owned Rowland made gear since 1978. In fact I have had some piece of Rowland gear in my house continually since then. In fact, I used to own the first two amplifiers ever to have the Rowland Research name on them. Sold them to Richard Kimball about 12 years ago.

The reason I am tempted to give up my NCores and spend way more than I can afford on the Continuum S2 is because I so regret having sold my Concentra II integrated. It now lives in Babb, Montana with BBQ Bob and he's told me he will never let it go.

I imagine most of you are like me in that JRDG gear is mostly well above my price range. So when I urge you to check out his website, it is not to encourage purchases but simply to encourage learning. Jeff has always been innovative and he doesn't stick obstinately to what has worked in the past. His top amps now are powered by NCore 1200 I learned, and smaller (more affordable) units like the Continuum that has me interested are Pascal based.

That's about all I know. There is more to the aluminum case than a pretty overkill face.

Here is the object of my desire: http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/us/continuum-s2-integrated.html

That's a face any mother could love.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:34 am »
I personally think the faceplate design is stunning.  I have the model 10:

http://hifi-advice.com/rowland-model-10-12-112-extra.html

bk12

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:49 am »
Another JRDG fan here...I have always liked the sound of his products, and the company.  They seem to stay a bit off the radar, but his latest line of products is bringing them front and center imo.  I don't like blingy, and I have to say that imo, his pieces don't come across that way in person.  They are incredibly solid. 

And regarding the Continuum S2....truly a superb unit, and an a good value with the optional DAC card installed...really puts it as a nearly all-in-one unit.

Beatlebum

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2014, 11:59 am »
Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 owner chiming in.

I purchased the Continuum S2 this past winter and after break-in of about 200 hours I have to say this is the best my system has sounded to date. I purchased the onboard phono card and it is very nice, although my Herron VTPH-2 beats it pretty handily.

The pairing of the Continuum S2 and my Salk Soundscape 8's is a match made in heaven. Plenty of power, finesse and detail.

Coming from separates for years, I was looking to simplify things a bit without making any sacrifices or compromises in performance. I've achieved my goal and I am very pleased.

Cheers,

Tim

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm »
Macro,

It sounds like you are already sold.  What is the purpose of this thread?  It would be interesting to hear your comments after you try the JR integrated versus your current gear.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm »
I'm sure you have all seen this.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm »
I'm sure you have all seen this.
I hadn't seen it but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.

Isn't it strange to anyone else that Rowland gear is not held up as the epitome of quality? Surely we can all disagree concerning the primacy of sonic performance but the design, materials and construction appear to me to be the finest available.

Jackman - The reason for the thread is simple enough. A member chose to start it. Further elucidation can be gleaned by reading my opening post. And, if you want to feel fully informed, you could read the entire half page of entries.

I'm not yet completely sold but that isn't so much a matter of desirability of the product as my hesitation to invest at that level. My current Rowland/NCore setup is pretty good and it's already paid for. Perhaps I'm seeking encouragement - your specialty.

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:46 pm »
Jackman - The reason for the thread is simple enough. A member chose to start it. Further elucidation can be gleaned by reading my opening post. And, if you want to feel fully informed, you could read the entire half page of entries.

I'm not yet completely sold but that isn't so much a matter of desirability of the product as my hesitation to invest at that level. My current Rowland/NCore setup is pretty good and it's already paid for. Perhaps I'm seeking encouragement - your specialty.

Your initial post was a question as to why JR doesn't get any attention around here.  I'm not sure what you don't like about your current system but would be interested to hear your comments after you compare it to the newer Rowland integrated.  It's a big investment and I can understand why you would want to take your time.  Not sure anyone is going to tell you anything you don't already know about JRG because you probably know more than most people around here.  Their stuff is expensive but I do see it on the used market for much more reasonable prices. 

I've always liked the looks of the Rowland gear and look forward to your comments.  At least Rowland manufactures all of their stuff and I believe they are not owned by a big corporation.  This is a real plus in my book. 

Good luck,

J

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:46 pm »
At the last few shows, we have been using Rowland Aeris DAC in our system and I am personally impressed with it.

It belongs to MG Audio guys and it might just be the best DAC I've heard to date.
We played music through the Aeris as well as our own Onix XCD-50SE CD Player (with its own built-in DAC).
To my ears, performance wise, the Aeris is a step above the Onix, albeit a very small step.
On the other hand, when one considers his/her own money, the Aeris is twice as much as the Onix.

Personally, I like the Aeris look very much.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:32 am »
From whatI have read about the Aeris, it may well be the finest, best sounding DAC on earth. Naturally that kind of talk encourages investigation. However, my program is not built to absorb depreciation and it appears that two dynamics would assure massive depreciation in this product. First: it's digital. There is a longstanding pattern to observe here. All computer based electronics lose value exponentially over time, often a relatively brief time. Two: the DAC world seems to be fad driven and the crown passes from one unit to another overnight. Staying in that game can cost a lot of rapid cash vaporization.

OTOH, Rowland may have come up with a digital product that is not so quickly surpassed and his stuff does appear to have extremely good resale value.

Again, I am left to wonder why Rowland gets almost no notice on AC. Is it because of the pricing of his gear? It is expensive but I can say after owning a dozen or so pieces over the years that the value is there. And the used market clearly supports that opinion.

All I can say is, you don't know what you are missing. Tactile gratification, pride of ownership and flawless operation are all there in spades. Of course, bang for the buck is a personal assessment but bear in mind that the same quality in every detail exists in every Rowland product from entry level up to flagship. They are all built the same. And a secret I've learned over the years is that Jeff can't help himself when it comes to going all out. There is perpetual bleed down of innovation. The reason I intended to replace my Capri with the newer Capri S2 is simple. I feel confident that the newer version contains a lot of the innovation and excellence that has made the Corus one of the best preamps available. He never produces a Mark II or a Revision A or a Signature model just to stimulate existing customers into a meaningless or non-existent upgrade. When he replaces a product, there is an enormous improvement to be had.

I would urge everyone here to try out Jeff Rowland gear and see what it is really all about. Start out safe by buying it used. That will buffer you against significant loss if you don't like it or you find you like it so much you want to move up to some other JRDG device. However you decide to do it, definitely get your feet wet. JRDG is the big leagues.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:41 am »

Again, I am left to wonder why Rowland gets almost no notice on AC. Is it because of the pricing of his gear? It is expensive but I can say after owning a dozen or so pieces over the years that the value is there. And the used market clearly supports that opinion.
The good news is that he has the power to change that.   :P   Send him an email with this link.  After that, he can then see this link.

He's in the drivers seat.   ;)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:58 am »
Good thought, Jason. He may not even know that AC exists. Jeff himself is not involved in such things as far as I know. Perhaps there is a media guy on staff who could maintain a presence here a la James Tanner.
As far as I'm aware that company has never been very aggressive about marketing. But they may feel it's time to start. Or they may feel they are doing just fine as is.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm »
Did you get your new intergrated?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:31 pm »
Yes, I did receive it around the last week in April. Hard to believe it's been that long.

Functionally, it is the same as what I was using in that the preamp layout is identical. Aside from preamp improvements that you can read about on his website, Jeff introduced the option of having the bypass circuit converted to input #5. Since I'm strictly 2 channel, I opted for that arrangement. I also chose to include the optional on-board phono section as the first input. If you wish, you can get a built-in DAC instead. Or you can buy neither and use outboard signal treatment if that's your preference.

Sonically, I find the S2 quieter and more dynamic than my already very good Capri/NCore400 setup. The difference was very obvious when I switched initially but now I'm back to listening to my new normal. Isn't that how it goes with this stuff? No matter what you are accustomed to hearing, it soon becomes the new normal and the thoughts of upgrading slowly seep into your consciousness. Sometimes an outside force like an innovation or a rare deal forces a move earlier than normal gestation would demand. Have you noticed the threads on here from time to time proclaiming that after 38 years so and so brought out his such and such Japanese receiver and was startled to find that it approached his current SOTA rig? How is that possible after 15 - 20 definite improvements during the intervening years? Turns out all the dozens of (pick a word) startling, amazing, jaw-dropping, stunning, etc. changes that were implemented incrementally throughout this guy's adult life at untold expense, amounted to little more than running in place.

No regrets at all concerning the JRDG Continuum S2. If I choose to keep it for the rest of my life, it will no doubt function perfectly well beyond the time when I stop using air. And the inside of it will still look the same as it did when Jeff put the lid on. His equipment has no ventilation so no dust gets in --- ever! The convolutions you see built into the metal work are subtle but effective heat sinks. Everything is airtight.

I don't go to hi-fi shows anymore and there are no stores or audiophiles in my area, so I can neither affirm or contradict the claims but Roy Gregory (among others) has stated that the Continuum S2 outperforms most separates using, as it does, a Pascal amplifier module. I suppose that might be true --- it's awfully good. But, but, but ------- Jeff Rowland utilizes the NCore 1200 modules in his megabuck 825 and 925 flagship amps. What conclusion should we draw from that?

Thanks for asking, Jason.

TomS

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:37 pm »
Congrats, that's a really nice piece!

I had a Consonance preamp and a pair of Model 7's long ago. Great stuff for sure.