Break In Album

NolaZag

Break In Album
« on: 3 Apr 2014, 02:05 am »
First time poster here.

As I anxiously await the arrival of my new Wow1's I wanted to ask y'all what your reference album is. I'm thinking about breaking them in smoothly with a little Van Morrison - Astral Weeks but I'm still up in the air. Wanted to get the expert opinion of the board.

Thanks! 8)

Austin08

Re: Break In Album
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2014, 01:35 am »
Salk demo cd, all the best in it.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm »

coke

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2014, 06:17 pm »
The demo CD has a good variety of music on it.

With music servers and easy to access digital music; I rarely listen to an album in its entirety anymore.

ernest787

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2014, 07:52 pm »
The demo CD has a good variety of music on it.

With music servers and easy to access digital music; I rarely listen to an album in its entirety anymore.

interesting.  I prefer to listen to a full album in one sitting and very rarely shuffle music.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2014, 08:02 pm »
I just picked up a Best of the Black Crowes.  Thanks for the reccomendation.   It reminds me of Humble Pie.  One of my favorites.

NolaZag

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:45 am »
Awesome, Thanks for the excellent suggestions! Can't wait to put the Wow1's through the paces  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:12 pm »
Nola, hope you enjoy your new speakers! :thumb:
See this thread for hundreds of great sounding CDs
Ever listen to Cassandra Wilson?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.0

Three of my favorite albums for listening to new speakers are all by Rob Wasserman
Rob Wasserman Duets
"         ".            Trios
And ,      Space Island       Only Space Island is on Spotify though., Well worth owning all three !!

Semperfi

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2014, 04:33 am »
Stevie Ray!

Scoville

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:24 am »

Try the recent Mavis Staples record, One True Vine, produced by Jeff Tweedy from Wilco.  Production is spare; every voice and instrument is clear.  And music is great. 

Enjoy your speakers!

coke

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:17 pm »
Stevie Ray!

Tin Pan Alley is one of my favorites.  I can't remember what it's called, but the amp he was using had a speaker that moved sound around the room.  You can hear the sound of his guitar moving around throughout the song.   His voice also sounds very real in this song, almost like he's in the room.

edit: Found it. Fender Vibratone

Austin08

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2014, 03:08 am »
Tin Pan Alley is one of my favorites.  I can't remember what it's called, but the amp he was using had a speaker that moved sound around the room.  You can hear the sound of his guitar moving around throughout the song.   His voice also sounds very real in this song, almost like he's in the room.

edit: Found it. Fender Vibratone

+1, Tin Pan Alley kicks a&&.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:41 am »
When I was looking for a demo/break in album someone suggested music by Angus and Julia Stone. They have now become some of my favorite artists and I've purchased everything of theirs I can (new album coming soon!). They're what I call alt-folk. All of their stuff is great, but my favorite is their first album Book Like This. It has male vocals, female vocals, drums, guitar, piano, violin, various percussion and horn segments, and every song is great. Some of the music is simple and bare, then it can become more complex and dynamic -- sometimes all in the same track. Some other go to's I use for demoing are Amber Rubarth's Sessions From the 17th Ward (might also just be called Sessions). Very well recorded album. XX is another good listen with good bass. And, just started listening to Koop Island by Koop. Very loungy and swanky, but fun and dynamic. And, one of my favorite tracks is She & Him's cover of I Can Hear Music. I've had a few friends' jaws hit the floor listening to that on my ST's. One great thing about great audio is its so much fun to listen to so many types of music and there doesn't seem to be an end to discovering great music! Enjoy!

RandyH

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:43 am »
Really?  A "break in" album?  Why not just listen to your favorite music?

Tom Alverson

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2014, 04:57 pm »
Really?  A "break in" album?  Why not just listen to your favorite music?

I took it as more of a christening, as in what type of champagne should I break across the bow of my new speakers.