Anyone using ncore to drive Quad 63 speakers?

banpuku

Anyone using ncore to drive Quad 63 speakers?
« on: 7 May 2013, 03:21 pm »
The Quad 63 loudspeakers are difficult to drive.  They require a lot of voltage.  Anyone have experience using hypex ncore amps to drive quads?

Thanks for any input.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Anyone using ncore to drive Quad 63 speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2013, 05:43 pm »
Not Quads but you will not have a problem.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2013, 05:52 pm »
I agree with jtwrace, you won't have a problem. In fact, I can't imagine a speaker that an ncore would have a problem with. Well, only case I could imagine is a high efficiency driver that the ncore might overdamp. Had that problem with an Aleph 30 when I was using a low-powered set-up. But other than overdamping (not an issue with Quads), ncores should have a problem with very very little in the speaker world.

However, there is a big gap between "not have a problem" and "best match for a specific speaker." I lean towards searching out the best possible amp-speaker match (which means audition, audition, audition), as opposed to getting an amp that can drive any speaker I throw at it without problems. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2013, 05:54 pm »
Also, welcome to Audio Circle! This is a great community of audiophiles. Hope you find it useful and that you also take the time to share your experiences with us.

This is a super group of folks I am happy to be a part of.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2013, 09:10 pm »
A local friend, not an AC member that I know of, is using NC400's with Quad ESL63's.

I helped him assemble the amps in March. I have not heard his system but I've received regular emails since and he's very happy with the combination per the email I received yesterday. I'll point him at this thread and perhaps he can provide more information.

mike

ericuco

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2013, 09:37 pm »
A local friend, not an AC member that I know of, is using NC400's with Quad ESL63's.

I helped him assemble the amps in March. I have not heard his system but I've received regular emails since and he's very happy with the combination per the email I received yesterday. I'll point him at this thread and perhaps he can provide more information.

mike

Per Mike's note, I have been using a pair of NC400 amps with my Quad 63's (refurbished by Sheldon Stokes - great guy) for a few months now and they sound great to me.  Really can't say enough of how pleased I am with this setup.

Prior to the NC400's, I was using Atma-sphere M60's but was losing the high freq stuff due to impedance mismatch.  The NC400 deliver the high freq.

banpuku

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2013, 02:51 pm »
ericuco,

Thanks for replying.  Finally someone has the setup I am considering.  I am curious about the tonal color and dynamics of the NC400 / Quad ESL63 combo.  Would you please comment on your experience with this?  Also, are you using a SS or Tube pre-amp?

Thanks,
Pat