StreamPlayer Gen III dagogo.com review

jsalk

StreamPlayer Gen III dagogo.com review
« on: 8 Oct 2016, 04:48 pm »
Doug Schroeder's three part review of the StreamPlayer Gen III has been posted on dagogo.com.

Here is a link...

http://www.dagogo.com/salk-sound-streamplayer-generation-iii-prologue

Enjoy!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2016, 02:32 pm by jsalk »

fsimms

Re: StreamPlayer Gen III dagogo.com review - part 1
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2016, 05:28 pm »
Congratulations on the review. I don't think it could be any better.  I am sure it is well deserved.  :thumb:

Bob

phoward

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2016, 08:49 pm »
Congratulations Jim!!!
Guess I better get my unit in for an upgrade before you are swamped with new orders!
Well deserved...
Peter

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2016, 09:46 pm »
Looking forward to reading the rest; I've always been curious how these performed.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2016, 01:30 am »
Can one use a mouse . keyboard and monitor with this product ?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2016, 11:00 am »
Can one use a mouse . keyboard and monitor with this product ?

You can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor if you like, but you will basically be in "terminal' mode. There is no graphical user interface installed on thee StreamPlayer.  We compiled our own Linux package with only those functions that are required for music streaming.  This makes the OS fast and very reliable. 

The StreamPlayer was designed from the ground up to be a "headless" device that relies on a computer, tablet or phone for remote control.

All that said, we could produce a custom StreamPlayer with a full-blown Linux implementation complete with a graphical user interface for use with a keyboard, mouse and monitor.  No problem.

- Jim

audiocrazy

Re: StreamPlayer Gen III dagogo.com review
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:16 pm »
 :thumb: Great review.
What are the power requirements for StreamerPlayer to pair with Linear PS? The reviewer used HD-Plex but did not mention what output was used to power StreamPlayer.
Also is the in-built SSD user replaceable in the future to increase capacity if needed?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:49 pm »
Jim has usually said in the past, that storage upgrades require sending a StreamPlayer back to him to reinstall the OS on a higher capacity SSD. I suspect that he has found that remote troubleshooting/configuration regarding storage is difficult and time consuming.

Also is the in-built SSD user replaceable in the future to increase capacity if needed?

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:11 pm »
Good review, could use some pics though.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:53 pm »
What are the power requirements for StreamerPlayer to pair with Linear PS? The reviewer used HD-Plex but did not mention what output was used to power StreamPlayer.

The StreamPlayer Generation III requires a 12V supply.

The standard drive is a 2TB hard drive.  An SSD would be an extra cost option.  The OS resides on this drive as well as saved music files.  A user could certainly upgrade the drive without sending the unit back.  But this would mean cloning the existing drive via a Linux terminal and then expanding the drive to the new capacity (or adding a second drive to the unit).  We could certainly guide a user to facilitate this.  But most owners would not be comfortable doing this task.  So it would normally be easier to simply return the unit to us to have it done.  If we know about it in advance, we can normally turn a unit around in two days.

- Jim

audiocrazy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:14 pm »
Thanks for the detailed explanation. :D