What classical music you listening to, luv?

runs10k

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1080 on: 20 May 2014, 06:38 am »
The Rite of Spring conducted by Igor Stravinsky , I like this work so much  :thumb: that I found 2 jazz versions of this great piece and they are quite expensive! :wink:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1081 on: 20 May 2014, 01:16 pm »
The Rite of Spring conducted by Igor Stravinsky , I like this work so much  :thumb: that I found 2 jazz versions of this great piece and they are quite expensive! :wink:
Runs, you tease, tell us more.  What are these $$$ recordings?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1082 on: 20 May 2014, 01:57 pm »
A friend of mine peruses Discogs and EBAY looking for the value of his and my recordings.  It seems that I have some rather high priced ones.  Macrocosmos III in mint vinyl condition is potentially worth 200 clams he tells me.  I have two copies of this and a friend of ours transposes my records to his computer and burns me discs.  I listened to a stellar Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale and Mac III just last night and was positively blown away.  This friend uses a K&K phono pre and a HK Citation amp amongst four other tube amps.  I believe one is from IKON(?).  His phono cart is the top of the line and hugely expensive Lyra in an air bearing linear tracking arm on a SOTA table.  Plus, he has a noise removal component.  Wish you could hear the clean and perfectly clear music that results.  He has made 19 for me thus far and has another couple in his possession.   

I have two "Rite's" that will be getting the treatment soon.  One is on DG conducted by Abbado and the other is misfiled at the moment.  This friend has 50,000 albums on his computer and growing.   

simoon

« Reply #1083 on: 24 May 2014, 03:23 pm »

One of my favorite pieces, too.

Here's another interesting interpretation by avant-garde prog band, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic (described as "the world's hardest-rocking chamber music quartet.") from their debut album 'Magnetic Flip'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oqsC-SjNT4

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1084 on: 26 May 2014, 04:29 am »

Would love to give that one a go.

rockadanny

« Reply #1085 on: 4 Jun 2014, 04:04 pm »
I'm no Scheherazade expert, but this 1983 recording on EMI sounds very nice.

S Clark

« Reply #1086 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:41 pm »
I picked up a copy of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons on RCA LSC-2424 from 1960, 1S stamper with the Correlli Society strings.  This is by far the best recording of this classic I've run across, far better than the digital Columbia and different/better than the EMI that I have.  Correlli Society is a group of 13 strings, and each is clear and resonant.  Pick up a copy, you'll like it.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #1087 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:49 pm »
1958 recording of the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy conducting Respighi's Pine of Rome, Fountains of Rome and Roman Festivals.

Great performance and the recording isn't bad either.

HsvHeelFan

S Clark

« Reply #1088 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm »
1958 recording of the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy conducting Respighi's Pine of Rome, Fountains of Rome and Roman Festivals.

Great performance and the recording isn't bad either.

HsvHeelFan
Mono or stereo? 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #1089 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:37 pm »
Stereo.  The original CD was ripped to FLAC on my music server and is being fed to a Parasound PHP 850 pre-amp which is then sending the signal on to a Bryston 4B-ST main amp which is powering my KEF's.

Now, I'm listening to a Telarc recording of the Cleveland Orchestra performing Pictures at an Exhibition.  I love listening to Pictures more than I like playing it in a concert.  The audience loves it, but the way that it's written in the later pictures makes it difficult to count when performing it in a concert.

Next up will be Berlin with Karajan performing Beethoven 6th symphony.

HsvHeelFan

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1090 on: 19 Jun 2014, 12:10 am »
I picked up a copy of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons on RCA LSC-2424 from 1960, 1S stamper with the Correlli Society strings.  This is by far the best recording of this classic I've run across, far better than the digital Columbia and different/better than the EMI that I have.  Correlli Society is a group of 13 strings, and each is clear and resonant.  Pick up a copy, you'll like it.

Love to hear it.  Listened to my much loved copy pretty recently.  La Petite Bande performing on original instruments on SEON/RCA, a West German pressing.

MoPac

« Reply #1091 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:38 pm »
Lutoslawski: Chain II, Symphony No. 4 etc. ripped to WAV.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1092 on: 18 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1093 on: 18 Jul 2014, 10:46 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1094 on: 18 Jul 2014, 10:49 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #1095 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm »

That is a stunning album.  Glad Jim turned me on to it a while back.

Just got in two copies of Finlandia on RCA LSC2336... one a Classics reissue, and one an original early stamper.  The original is a bit clearer and more dynamic.  Both are top notch recordings. 

S Clark

« Reply #1096 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:58 pm »
Fresh in from Fleabay... Vics-1053 Fiedler and the Pops doing Rossini/Respigi La Boutique Fantasitic, Ibert Diverissement, and Kay Cakewalk exerpts.  This is post WWI stuff with a lighter touch, but very much serious music.  This is another Victrola lp that equals the quality of its more expensive RCA shaded dog peers.  When I started raving about the plum label Victrolas, they were going for four or five bucks... now at $6-12 and still bargains.  Most are early stampers and the 1S versions are plentiful and only bringing a bit more than the later stampers. 

S Clark

« Reply #1097 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:12 pm »
Shostakovich Piano Conc. 1 and 2 soloist Eugene List conducted by Maxim Shostakovich on Columbia/Melodiya.
Nice recording, good music.

S Clark

« Reply #1098 on: 7 Aug 2014, 04:12 am »
Things are slow on the classical music circle for the past week...
Picked up a nice copy of shaded dog RCA LSC 2586  Gershwin Conc. in F/ I Got Rhythm/Cuban Overture with Earl Wild and Fielder and the Boston Pops.  It took me a while to find a clean copy at a decent price, but it was worth the wait and $$.  The Conc. in F is the best recording of this piece I've heard.  Top notch clarity and instruments are precisely placed.  The flip side is very good, but not the top level of the Conc.  Find a copy if you can. 

Also got a copy of the Reference Recording of Nojima Plays Ravel.  I'm a fan of Gaspard de la Nuit, but this version doesn't do much for me.  Disappointing for a pricey lp.

S Clark

« Reply #1099 on: 18 Aug 2014, 04:15 am »
Clifford Curzon playing Tchaikovsky's #1 Piano Conc on an ancient London ffrr conducted by George Szell.  The performance is 1950 and the lp is soon thereafter... solid maroon label.  Very modern sound, an early example of what the Decca/London engineers did with their WWII breakthrough in sonar microphones that issued in the era of the LP.  I saw a perfect copy for $1 and couldn't pass it up.  64 years old recording still in pristine condition. Sometimes I'm in awe of how well these old records still produce high quality entertainment.