Janis W-2 to Rythmik F12G ?

Danny Richie

Re: Janis W-2 to Rythmik F12G ?
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm »
If you do not want or cannot do the building yourself, there are a number of people on this forum who would be willing to build one or more of the OB subs for you.  That way you get a top notch sub (or subs) in the style and finish you want.

Mike

And that has worked really well for a lot of people.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #61 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:11 pm »
I guess he could, and so could I. It's real easy. All we have to do is order at least 100 of them from our friends across the ocean over there. Then do we make them two to a box or three to a box? H frame or W frame? Maybe some of each. Then flat black, gloss black, and some wood finishes... Oh and that 100 unit minimum is per style and per finish.

No problem then.   :wink:

bdp24

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:11 pm »
When you glue in the MDF, I suggest using Sikaflex 1A Polyurethane Premium Grade High Performance Elastomeric Sealant. It's a very strong adhesive but also maintains a slight flexibility, when cured, that has constrained layer damping properties.

Even Titebond I, II, and III have a little elasticity, even after curing. For a subwoofer cabinet, you do NOT want that. Stiffness is the operative word. Titebond makes a glue used by luthiers named Liquid Hide, and it's a synthetic version of the old cowhide glue furniture manufacture's use. It dries very hard, with no "give"---perfect for sub cabs, especially between the interior braces and the cabinet walls, and the edges of the six walls, where they are glued to each other. At those locations in a sub box, you do not want ANY lack of stiffness. Between the interior and exterior walls in a double wall box, constrained layer damping properties in the glue used may be a good idea. The slight movement between the two layers when vibrated by low frequencies won't effect the interior of the box, where you want the box to not flex at all, but the soft glues will perhaps damp the resonance of the exterior wall. Of course, if you build Danny's sand box you won't have any! Dead as a doornail (whatever THAT is), and quiet as a church mouse (ditto!). You don't hear the box, only the bass.

AKLegal

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm »
Even Titebond I, II, and III have a little elasticity, even after curing. For a subwoofer cabinet, you do NOT want that. Stiffness is the operative word. Titebond makes a glue used by luthiers named Liquid Hide, and it's a synthetic version of the old cowhide glue furniture manufacture's use. It dries very hard, with no "give"---perfect for sub cabs, especially between the interior braces and the cabinet walls, and the edges of the six walls, where they are glued to each other. At those locations in a sub box, you do not want ANY lack of stiffness. Between the interior and exterior walls in a double wall box, constrained layer damping properties in the glue used may be a good idea. The slight movement between the two layers when vibrated by low frequencies won't effect the interior of the box, where you want the box to not flex at all, but the soft glues will perhaps damp the resonance of the exterior wall. Of course, if you build Danny's sand box you won't have any! Dead as a doornail (whatever THAT is), and quiet as a church mouse (ditto!). You don't hear the box, only the bass.

So a harder wood glue would be better for a open baffle H Frame with say double 3/4 inch mdf walls?

bdp24

« Reply #64 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:55 pm »
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that in an open baffle sub, the stiffness of the glue holding all the panels of the H-Frame together does not have the importance it does in a sealed box. The priority in an H-Frame is to keep the large side panels from resonating. That's the reason for adding a second layer of MDF to them, with perhaps mass-damping vinyl between the two layers. Danny could give you a much more authoritative statement on the subject.

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:20 pm »
Typical just gluing the joints with Elmer's wood glue makes the joints stronger than the wood itself. So I have never seen an issue with the wood glue used.