Toronto Show Sept. 2012

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Toronto Show Sept. 2012
« Reply #80 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:01 pm »
Here's a pic of the Optical Drive we used at the show - width is a bit larger than a CD

JfTM

« Reply #81 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:36 pm »
Hey James,

Any chance Bryston could do a comparison chart between the BDP-1 and 2, and the BDA-1 and 2?  Like the compare button on many retailer sites.

It would help those of us who have the 1's or are in the market to decide which makes more sense to buy, or if an upgrade is warranted.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:45 pm »
•   A customer does not depend on us; we are dependent on him.

•   A customer is not an interruption of our work; he is the purpose of that work.

•   We are not doing the customer a favour by serving him; he is doing us a favour by giving us the opportunity to meet his needs.
Time to update the he / him with he / she.   :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 1 Oct 2012, 06:04 pm »
Time to update the he / him with he / she.   :wink:

Politically correct  it is - will do.

james

Marius

« Reply #84 on: 1 Oct 2012, 07:22 pm »
a nice drive is already on the market:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive , already in the rack too..... in combination with the Apple Mini.  Or wouldn't that one do?

btw,  it wouldn't be possible to use the BCD1?
Marius

Here's a pic of the Optical Drive we used at the show - width is a bit larger than a CD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 1 Oct 2012, 07:31 pm »
a nice drive is already on the market:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive , already in the rack too..... in combination with the Apple Mini.  Or wouldn't that one do?

btw,  it wouldn't be possible to use the BCD1?
Marius

No the BDP-1 does not have enough memory to run the Optical Drive. I do not know if the BCD-1 CD player could be used - I will ask Chris.

james

Vipers

« Reply #86 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:54 pm »
Hi James,

It's certainly been an interesting couple of days in the land of Bryston with some great new products to look forward too, quick question, were both the BDP-2 and BDA-2 on show at Toronto? and when can we expect both these products to start shipping?

Thanks.

sfraser

« Reply #87 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:15 pm »
Hey James, are you guys/gals in a position to discuss the addition of NAS functionality in the BDP-2? Or is that still being worked out?

Cheers,

Scott

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #88 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:02 am »
Hi Marius,

It's also a gateway to digital medium for those who may still be Intimidated by computers.  A bdp-2 with this drive will work remarkably identical (but not exactly the same) as a CD player.  When the customer is ready to do away with his collection of cd's, he/she already has everything they need to move to a digital medium.  All for the same price of a bcd-1 when it was in production.

Finally it should sound just as good as a bdp-1, regardless if the source is a drive or a cd.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #89 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:17 am »
Hi All,

We introduced NAS support in August for the bdp-1, the bdp-2 will ship with the same firmware as the bdp-1.  Intact, for the foreseeable future both versions of the bdp will run the same software.  Much like iPhones run the same version of iOS, bdp's will follow a similar philosophy.

As for the comparison the bdp-1 shipped with a 2amp power supply and a main board containing a 500mhz AMD Geode CPU with 256 MB RAM.

The bdp-2's power supply has been bumped up to 10amps (for those who want to plug in a half dozen USB powered hard drives).  It's main board is capable of powering 5-6 hard drives (we have tested an assortment of drives rAnging from 400mA to a full amp).  1600 MHz Intel Atom CPU with 2048 MB of RAM.  Room for an internal 2.5" data hdd/ssd, USB 3.0 upgrade path is available, esata (none powered).

Both units still contain the same sound card, so same sound.

Think BDP-1, but with more power under the bonnet

Cheers,
Chris

myview

« Reply #90 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:01 am »
Hi Chris,

I am using the BDP-1 now.  I have a fairly large music collection, about 4TB and still growing.  I am still in the process of organising the files and putting them on 2.5 inch portable hard-disks.  So far, I have 2 x 1TB drives plugged into the back of the BDP-1, one being completely full and the other one about half full.  To add music, I prefer to unplug the drives from the BDP-1, add the files and plug it back into the BDP-1 (copying files through the network is excruciatingly slow in my environment).

A few issues:
1) when music files are added, the updating takes a long long long time
2) sometimes, after 1) above, the updating seems to be completed but the BDP-1 hangs and I have to switch off the BDP-1 and restart 1) with no certainty of the end result
3) I hope to one day connect my entire music collection to the BDP-1 but am concerned that either it cannot power hard-drives of 2TB and above or I cannot stick as many 1TB drives as I'd like to (I have tried connecting a powered USB hub to one of the slots at the back so I could connect a few more hard drives.  Results were kind of inconsistent - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Refer back to issue 1) & 2) above.

I attribute the above to the BDP-1 being "under-powered" (for lack of a better word) or that it was never intended to handle large music collection.

With the BDP-2 being "BDP-1 on steroids", I am hoping that all the above issues will be solved.  Do you think so?

2 more questions on the BDP-2:

1) I read that the 2 USB 3.0 port can be added later as an upgrade.  Can these 2 USB 3.0 ports be added before the unit leaves the factory so customers can save the fuss of adding them later.

2) Can Bryston offer the option of a version with the HDD/SSD added?  (Instead of customers buying the HDD/SSD and sending it to the Bryston factory and have it installed - not convenient especially for customers not resident in Canada)

Thank you

Hi All,

We introduced NAS support in August for the bdp-1, the bdp-2 will ship with the same firmware as the bdp-1.  Intact, for the foreseeable future both versions of the bdp will run the same software.  Much like iPhones run the same version of iOS, bdp's will follow a similar philosophy.

As for the comparison the bdp-1 shipped with a 2amp power supply and a main board containing a 500mhz AMD Geode CPU with 256 MB RAM.

The bdp-2's power supply has been bumped up to 10amps (for those who want to plug in a half dozen USB powered hard drives).  It's main board is capable of powering 5-6 hard drives (we have tested an assortment of drives rAnging from 400mA to a full amp).  1600 MHz Intel Atom CPU with 2048 MB of RAM.  Room for an internal 2.5" data hdd/ssd, USB 3.0 upgrade path is available, esata (none powered).

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #91 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:43 am »
HI James, Chris,

When the bdp1 was developed, and we asked for 192 USb support, networksupport, more power, etc etc, you replied that the designfilosophy was to have the bdp1 as stripped down as possible and as uninterfered by all external noise-causing issues and techniques as possible, and usb192 (given your BDP1 playing those), usb3 we're not necessary, so a waste of resources.

Now we can see you even consider installing an internal moving! drive, and a double gigabit network interface . Talking about noise issues...
How come you left your own design principles?

Not even mentioning the fact that updating so soon after the initial release of the bdp1 is making that, like all other computers before, now practically worthless in terms of tradein........ Another aspect we have to start considering buying expensive Bryston gear?..  :cry:

don't get me wrong, please don't take offense, you know I feel strongly about getting up to date, both the BDP1, and most certainly the BDA1. With the latter especially, I can't stop wondering you don't go far enough, delivering us only native 32 bit and 192 USb support compared to the BDA1 . Still no dsd or hdmi deembedding, which would make it a bit more up to date. The updates in the BDA2 seem already behind current state of the art, just as the bda1 was without the 192 usb support. Unless the design isn't definitive of course, and, like the bdp2-drive, is still on its way to final design. Which I sincerely hope.

thanks,
Marius

Hi All,

We introduced NAS support in August for the bdp-1, the bdp-2 will ship with the same firmware as the bdp-1.  In, for the foreseeable future both versions of the bdp will run the same software.  Much like iPhones run the same version of iOS, bdp's will follow a similar philosophy.

Cheers,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:25 am »
HI James, Chris,

When the bdp1 was developed, and we asked for 192 USb support, networksupport, more power, etc etc, you replied that the designfilosophy was to have the bdp1 as stripped down as possible and as uninterfered by all external noise-causing issues and techniques as possible, and usb192 (given your BDP1 playing those), usb3 we're not necessary, so a waste of resources.

Now we can see you even consider installing an internal moving! drive, and a double gigabit network interface . Talking about noise issues...
How come you left your own design principles?

Not even mentioning the fact that updating so soon after the initial release of the bdp1 is making that, like all other computers before, now practically worthless in terms of tradein........ Another aspect we have to start considering buying expensive Bryston gear?..  :cry:

don't get me wrong, please don't take offense, you know I feel strongly about getting up to date, both the BDP1, and most certainly the BDA1. With the latter especially, I can't stop wondering you don't go far enough, delivering us only native 32 bit and 192 USb support compared to the BDA1 . Still no dsd or hdmi deembedding, which would make it a bit more up to date. The updates in the BDA2 seem already behind current state of the art, just as the bda1 was without the 192 usb support. Unless the design isn't definitive of course, and, like the bdp2-drive, is still on its way to final design. Which I sincerely hope.

thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius

We would recommend a Solid State Drive for the BDP-2 not a rotary drive for the noise issues you mentioned.

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product. The BDP -2 was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata , internal harddrive, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purest" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software).  We will be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 capability. 

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:51 am »
Hi James,

It's certainly been an interesting couple of days in the land of Bryston with some great new products to look forward too, quick question, were both the BDP-2 and BDA-2 on show at Toronto? and when can we expect both these products to start shipping?

Thanks.

Hi Vipers,

We hope the beginning to middle of November - please see my answer to Marius above on how the BDA-2 and BDP-2 came about.

james

Marius

« Reply #94 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:04 am »
Ok great James,

Thanks for your sincere answer!

Last one: you mention the new AKM chips. Would they be in the usb converter too, so we could play dsd over that small box?

Marius

Hi Marius

We would recommend a Solid State Drive for the BDP-2 not a rotary drive for the noise issues you mentioned.

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product. The BDP -2 was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata , internal harddrive, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purest" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software).  We will be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 capability. 

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:07 am »
Ok great James,

Thanks for your sincere answer!

Last one: you mention the new AKM chips. Would they be in the usb converter too, so we could play dsd over that small box?

Marius

Not sure on that will ask.

james

whanafi

BDP-2
« Reply #96 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:21 am »
Hi James,

I ordered a BDP-1 at the end of August once the NAS support was announced.  I haven't even taken delivery of my BDP-1 yet (sitting at the store waiting to be picked up)
and the replacement is out.

With the size of my music collection ( > 1.5TB), I am sure the BDP-2 would be able to handle the data base better.

James, any way to square this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BDP-2
« Reply #97 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:41 am »
Hi James,

I ordered a BDP-1 at the end of August once the NAS support was announced.  I haven't even taken delivery of my BDP-1 yet (sitting at the store waiting to be picked up)
and the replacement is out.

With the size of my music collection ( > 1.5TB), I am sure the BDP-2 would be able to handle the data base better.

James, any way to square this?

Check with the distributor and they will contact our export manger - remember the BDP-2 will be 1/3 more.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 2 Oct 2012, 12:01 pm »
Hey James, are you guys/gals in a position to discuss the addition of NAS functionality in the BDP-2? Or is that still being worked out?

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott

It will connect to a NAS the same as the BDP-1 - was there more to the question?

sfraser

« Reply #99 on: 2 Oct 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi James, when you and Chris mention NAS support, do you mean the BDPX can now connect as a "client"  to a networked NAS located else ware on the  Ethernet network?

For instance I have Ubuntu (linux) server at home acting as my multimedia server. I have all my video and FLAC music content located on this  server.  My video STB's can access the video and photo content using NFS or SMB client protocol over my Gigabit home Ethernet network . Of course the server is also running Logitech Squeeze Server Service which my  squeezebox's access via another TCP based protocol. However the music content could also be accessed via the previous mentioned NFS or SMB protocols by any "client" device that supports them. This is something i have been waiting for on the BDP. It also sounds like you added some additional buffering capability when reading  content from a directly connected disc drive? That buffer capability may lend itself well to NFS/SMB client support ; )

Thanks Guys,

Scott