BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?

Marius

Re: BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:35 am »
do you mean the handheld remote, or the app Remote, http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8?
If you enable 'home-sharing' , add you library and fireup remote-app, all your library is at hand, and you could even play them over airplay speakers...

will check for the handheld, only ever use that for my Apple tv  :D

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Only problem I have run into is I can not seem to get the ITOUCH or IPAD to connect so I can use the remote in ITUNES.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:47 am »
do you mean the handheld remote, or the app Remote, http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8?
If you enable 'home-sharing' , add you library and fireup remote-app, all your library is at hand, and you could even play them over airplay speakers...

will check for the handheld, only ever use that for my Apple tv  :D

Cheers,
Marius

The Handheld iTouch and the iPad.
I will look at home sharing but it was working OK before I loaded Audirvana?

james

Marius

« Reply #42 on: 4 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm »
Hi James,

We have to be precise here: you say Handheld Itouch and iPad, do you mean the 'music' app on those? Because those handhelds don;t play your locally stored library, but music stored on those handhelds, and of course all your Icloud music.

The itunes app on those is in fact the iTunes store, so not the same as your itunes-app on your mac either. Has all your bought recordings, but that's it.

If you want to control your iTunes library that is on your Mac/Windows machine or a shared Nas, you have to use the wonderful Remote-app and enable home sharing, or use the somewhat basic separate Apple remote, with which you can use the right/left keys to browse albums/artists and up/down for volume control. Play/pause are obvious.

Audirvana +, and I believe all the others that use iTunes (but not sure on this one) use the stored library, as is designated in the settings/advanced page.

Hope this helps.

Marius

The Handheld iTouch and the iPad.
I will look at home sharing but it was working OK before I loaded Audirvana?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:05 pm »
Hi James,

We have to be precise here: you say Handheld Itouch and iPad, do you mean the 'music' app on those? Because those handhelds don;t play your locally stored library, but music stored on those handhelds, and of course all your Icloud music.

The itunes app on those is in fact the iTunes store, so not the same as your itunes-app on your mac either. Has all your bought recordings, but that's it.

If you want to control your iTunes library that is on your Mac/Windows machine or a shared Nas, you have to use the wonderful Remote-app and enable home sharing, or use the somewhat basic separate Apple remote, with which you can use the right/left keys to browse albums/artists and up/down for volume control. Play/pause are obvious.

Audirvana +, and I believe all the others that use iTunes (but not sure on this one) use the stored library, as is designated in the settings/advanced page.

Hope this helps.

Marius

OK - thanks - will give it a try.

james

brucek

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:38 pm »
Does the new device simply pass the input sample rate received from the player application, or can it also be set to upsample to a higher rate and bit count?

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:44 pm »
While it is probably too late in the process, I'd love to see someone make a device that reads bit depth (a pet peeve of mine sorry - you can buy an outboard device that displays sampling rate for less than $100).  The ATI ADAC2 and another professional unit by Drawmer (and perhaps some others) have this capability but they are about $1.5k.  I remember trying a bunch of players with the HDMI audio de-embedder and while the BDA-1 shows 176kHz, I had to drag it over to John Gatski's (of everythingaudio.net) place as he has the ATI unit to confirm it truncates to 16 bit.  With all the hi-rez files becoming available, it would be a nice feature. 

srb

« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:58 pm »
Only problem I have run into is I can not seem to get the ITOUCH or IPAD to connect so I can use the remote in ITUNES.

iTunes (basic) Sharing (Edit > Preferences > Sharing tab) and iTunes Home Sharing (Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing) will both let another iTunes computer play a shared library, but the differences with Home Sharing are:

1.  Home Sharing allows an iTunes computer to copy (drag-and-drop) shared library content from another iTunes computer
2.  A Home Shared library can be streamed to an iOS device, which is useful if the library is much larger than will fit on the device or if the device has not been synced to that computer)
3.  Home Sharing requires that all iTunes computers use the same iTunes Store Account and is limited to 5 iTunes computers (iOS devices do not count as computers)

To use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes does not require either Sharing or Home Sharing to be enabled.  I have come across several Windows iTunes computers that could not be found via the iOS Remote app, and disabling the firewall allowed the iTunes computer to be recognized (even though the firewall did allow full access to iTunes and Apple Push).  Interestingly, the firewall only had to be disabled to make the initial connection and then could be enabled.

Steve 

Marius

« Reply #47 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:25 pm »
Hi Steve,

you' re right. I should have been more precise myself   :oops: :oops:
Homesharing makes Remote find libraries automatically, and does what you describe of course.

If you don;t want that, (there can be good reasons for that: all my kids can see my libraries, and what;s even worse, play and pause at will....) you can add non-homeshared libraries by entering the 4 number code remote-app generates into iTunes .

Thanks for putting that straight.

Marius

iTunes (basic) Sharing (Edit > Preferences > Sharing tab) and iTunes Home Sharing (Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing) will both let another iTunes computer play a shared library, but the differences with Home Sharing are:

1.  Home Sharing allows an iTunes computer to copy (drag-and-drop) shared library content from another iTunes computer
2.  A Home Shared library can be streamed to an iOS device, which is useful if the library is much larger than will fit on the device or if the device has not been synced to that computer)
3.  Home Sharing requires that all iTunes computers use the same iTunes Store Account and is limited to 5 iTunes computers (iOS devices do not count as computers)

To use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes does not require either Sharing or Home Sharing to be enabled.  I have come across several Windows iTunes computers that could not be found via the iOS Remote app, and disabling the firewall allowed the iTunes computer to be recognized (even though the firewall did allow full access to iTunes and Apple Push).  Interestingly, the firewall only had to be disabled to make the initial connection and then could be enabled.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 4 Sep 2012, 07:14 pm »
I have downloaded Amarra as well for a try.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips - got Amarra and Audirvana working perfect as well as the iTunes remote on the iTouch and iPad.

james

Marius

« Reply #50 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:48 pm »
Hi James,

Since you are developing this new digital Bryston machine, what is your opinion on hard- and software being able to decode 384hz files? Haven't ever seen them yet, but Amarra, and for example Antelope Audio Gold http://antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Gold-DAC support this.

Will Bryston go that way somewhere soon too?

Marius

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips - got Amarra and Audirvana working perfect as well as the iTunes remote on the iTouch and iPad.

james

Marius

« Reply #51 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:55 pm »
Great,

And before you get all carried away, read this just to be sure:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Marius

Hi Guys,

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 5 Sep 2012, 05:14 pm »
Great,

And before you get all carried away, read this just to be sure:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Marius

Back to PC - my first love.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 9 Sep 2012, 02:05 pm »
Hi guys

Is there a way to have iTunes display the attached music files in Folders (like on the other interfaces I use with the BDP) rather than the song name?

James

Marius

« Reply #54 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
HI James,

When you ask for Folders, do you mean  per Artist? per Composer? Easiest way to do that is to select Album, Artist, Genre or Composer, and search for what ever you want. Select Album and search for Genesis, finds you all Genesis Albums etc etc.

There's no 'folder' view as in Finder or Explorer. (i think)

May I ask why you want a folder view? If you want to manipulate the files, let Itunes take care of that for you. If you really beed the files, they're in Itunes Media on whatever medium you pointed Itunes to in settings/advanced.

Marius

Hi guys

Is there a way to have iTunes display the attached music files in Folders (like on the other interfaces I use with the BDP) rather than the song name?

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:24 pm »
HI James,

When you ask for Folders, do you mean  per Artist? per Composer? Easiest way to do that is to select Album, Artist, Genre or Composer, and search for what ever you want. Select Album and search for Genesis, finds you all Genesis Albums etc etc.

There's no 'folder' view as in Finder or Explorer. (i think)

May I ask why you want a folder view? If you want to manipulate the files, let Itunes take care of that for you. If you really beed the files, they're in Itunes Media on whatever medium you pointed Itunes to in settings/advanced.

Marius

Ok thanks - I guess I am just use to the way it's done with the BDP. I am using Amarra and Audiorvana with iTunes at this point.

James

srb

« Reply #56 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:39 pm »

Not sure if this it what you're looking for, but you can use iTunes Column Browser to look at groups of songs.  View > Column Browser > Show Column Browser (or toggle Column Browser on and off with Ctrl + B on Windows or Option + B on Mac).

You can select what groups to view by checking the specific column headings on or off also with View > Column Browser.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #57 on: 13 Sep 2012, 11:57 am »
HI James,

Any developments in the USB 192/24 front? You left us a bit unexpected and confused :?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm »
HI James,

Any developments in the USB 192/24 front? You left us a bit unexpected and confused :?

Marius

You think you're confused  :lol:

Seriously though where did I screw up??

james

Phil A

« Reply #59 on: 13 Sep 2012, 01:59 pm »
HI James,

Marius

Unless I misunderstood, it was my understanding that Bryston was going to have a new DAC.  For those current BDA-1 owners, they are going to have a separate box which James posted pictures of a page or two back.  I initially raised the issue as the last post was May with regard to this subject and I figured with CES around the corner it was time to bug James.