I would like to ask about a DAC

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
I would like to ask about a DAC
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:54 pm »
I have always listen to vinyl
I have a BP-26P

My question is I would like to purchase a DAC
Some DAC`s Have a digital pre amp built in such as the NAD M51,Do I need a built is digital pre amp when I allready have a analog pre amp (bp-26p)so can I purchase a DAC with out the digital pre amp If so can you give me something I can look at in the 1k to 2k price range or any price

m00nhawk

Re: I would like to ask about a DAC
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm »
Check out the Bryston BDA-1 or BDA-2.

Both DACs without built in pre-amps.

And both Bryston.    :green:

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:17 pm »
You should ask yourself a simple question first. "What do I want the dac to do in my system?" That way many here can give some sound advice.

turnovertherecord

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2013, 04:21 pm »
I have no digital music only vinyl

System is
Krell KAV-2250
Bryston BP-26P
Foucas Audio FS-788

As I am in my 50`s now,though that I would give digital a try,have read online that a lot of DAC`s have Digital pre amp built in,What is the purpose of the digital pre amp?

My kids also tell me to try digital,I am semi retired work 3 days a week,stereo on all that time my be 8 hours a day, lots of record cleaning,so hi-end digital will be a choice..

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:07 pm »

System is
Krell KAV-2250
Bryston BP-26P
Foucas Audio FS-788

As I am in my 50`s now,though that I would give digital a try,have read online that a lot of DAC`s have Digital pre amp built in,What is the purpose of the digital pre amp?

My kids also tell me to try digital,I am semi retired work 3 days a week,stereo on all that time my be 8 hours a day, lots of record cleaning,so hi-end digital will be a choice..

A digital preamp is usually basically a device with digital inputs for various sources and a digital volume control.  The Emotiva XDA-1 DAC I have in the secondary basement system can function as a preamp but I don't use it that way.  Since the secondary basement system is primarily used for HDTV for weekend sporting events or a Blu-Ray movie, I just wanted something cheap where the DACs are not tied to the DSP (digital signal procesessing) built into the receiver and I can at least hear some cleaner music for the few times I listen to something down there.  There are higher end DACs which are also digital preamps.  If one has multiple sources to plug into them they can be useful.  In my main system, it is eventually just going to be a music server and a transport for the few times I actually will listen to a disc after the server is in place.  Since I already have an analog preamp I really like, I don't see the need for one in the main system.  I could at some point try something in a secondary system.

Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:35 pm »
Turnover,
You were just asking about a cd player so you realize that in addition to the DAC you also need a computer or digital player - correct?

JfTM

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »

System is
Krell KAV-2250
Bryston BP-26P
Foucas Audio FS-788

This may be too basic, but ..

Any digital replay device needs a DAC somewhere in the system to convert the digital stream to analogue so the speakers can play it and we can hear it.

The conversion can happen almost anywhere in the audio processing stream.  At source (i.e. the vast majority of disc players CD, DVD, etc) have DACs built in so they output analogue to an analogue preamp like you BP26, in a stand alone DAC (i.e a computer or BDP to a DAC to an analogue preamp), in a combined DAC/preamp (e.g. computer or BDP to DAC/preamp), even at the speakers (e.g. digital source to speaker where preamp/amp/DAC sits).

I think the digital preamp is gaining some appeal as more people move to primarily or all digital sources.  A digital preamp (with or without a DAC) could process the digital streams without conversion and the pass to a DAC or perform the digital to analogue conversion at the end.  In theory this could reduce the number of conversions and perhaps simplify the signal path.  Alternately, it can allow digital processing of the native digital stream (likely more for home theatre).

If you want to give it a try without spending big dollars you could use a computer, some inexpensive software; like dbPoweramp to rip (record), and JRiver to play, and an inexpensive DAC (lots out there I still have a Musical Fidelity V-DAC in my second system).  See if you like it.

Then you can go down the road of selecting components based on your sonic objectives and convenience needs.

btw I use a BDP-1 into a BDA-1 into a BP25

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »
You can approach this several ways, depending how deep you want to get into digital music. There is a fair amount to know, and the self- education process is ongoing since digital seems to change much quicker, than say, analog of 30 years ago.
The easiest way is to stream digital music and play it that way. This is far less complex than when one decides to download hi resolution music files, store and catagorize them and play them over the audio system.
When you stream, you need a streaming device. A computer, a music server proper like Olive, Squeezebox or
Bryston' server and a DAC to convert that digitàl file back to analog. Some streaming devices have a DAC built in. Some a/v receivers are also capable streamers. One can pick of thousands of radio stations worldwide that stream audio for free. Or one can subscribe to a pay service to get whole albums, like MOG. That is what I use.
MOG even has an IPhone app. So i stream at home to my audio system and in my car, through my car stereo port. I have a higher quality Iphone Dock and DAC that is inserted into the signal path of my stereo.
Also one can begin to download the highest quality hi resolution files to a database of a computer hd or streaming device.  I know Pure and Ammara are two computer applications for doing this. The simplest way is a Mac computer with Itunes as the database for your music.
That said, many others can add to this.

turnovertherecord

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:02 pm »
Turnover,
You were just asking about a cd player so you realize that in addition to the DAC you also need a computer or digital player - correct?

correct,was looking at dac`s but some have built in digital amp which i do not need as the bp-26 will work

any dac`s with out built in dac`s out there beside bryston

turnovertherecord

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:07 pm »
This may be too basic, but ..

Any digital replay device needs a DAC somewhere in the system to convert the digital stream to analogue so the speakers can play it and we can hear it.

The conversion can happen almost anywhere in the audio processing stream.  At source (i.e. the vast majority of disc players CD, DVD, etc) have DACs built in so they output analogue to an analogue preamp like you BP26, in a stand alone DAC (i.e a computer or BDP to a DAC to an analogue preamp), in a combined DAC/preamp (e.g. computer or BDP to DAC/preamp), even at the speakers (e.g. digital source to speaker where preamp/amp/DAC sits).

I think the digital preamp is gaining some appeal as more people move to primarily or all digital sources.  A digital preamp (with or without a DAC) could process the digital streams without conversion and the pass to a DAC or perform the digital to analogue conversion at the end.  In theory this could reduce the number of conversions and perhaps simplify the signal path.  Alternately, it can allow digital processing of the native digital stream (likely more for home theatre).

If you want to give it a try without spending big dollars you could use a computer, some inexpensive software; like dbPoweramp to rip (record), and JRiver to play, and an inexpensive DAC (lots out there I still have a Musical Fidelity V-DAC in my second system).  See if you like it.

Then you can go down the road of selecting components based on your sonic objectives and convenience needs.

btw I use a BDP-1 into a BDA-1 into a BP25

Thankyou for the heads up

so I got a blu ray player,place cd in,hook up coaxial out to dac and into bp-26 or music files on computer usb out to dac is this correct

turnovertherecord

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:12 pm »
You can approach this several ways, depending how deep you want to get into digital music. There is a fair amount to know, and the self- education process is ongoing since digital seems to change much quicker, than say, analog of 30 years ago.
The easiest way is to stream digital music and play it that way. This is far less complex than when one decides to download hi resolution music files, store and catagorize them and play them over the audio system.
When you stream, you need a streaming device. A computer, a music server proper like Olive, Squeezebox or
Bryston' server and a DAC to convert that digitàl file back to analog. Some streaming devices have a DAC built in. Some a/v receivers are also capable streamers. One can pick of thousands of radio stations worldwide that stream audio for free. Or one can subscribe to a pay service to get whole albums, like MOG. That is what I use.
MOG even has an IPhone app. So i stream at home to my audio system and in my car, through my car stereo port. I have a higher quality Iphone Dock and DAC that is inserted into the signal path of my stereo.
Also one can begin to download the highest quality hi resolution files to a database of a computer hd or streaming device.  I know Pure and Ammara are two computer applications for doing this. The simplest way is a Mac computer with Itunes as the database for your music.
That said, many others can add to this.

Thankyou for your input,I think that simple is the way for me to start

Blu-ray to dac to bp-26

this is how I will start as I can understand this process,a little at a time

thankyou

JfTM

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:41 pm »

Thankyou for the heads up

so I got a blu ray player,place cd in,hook up coaxial out to dac and into bp-26 or music files on computer usb out to dac is this correct
Yes that will do it.

Just make sure the DAC you buy will accept USB.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:36 pm »
It's like I had mentioned, you should determine if streaming is all you want to do now, since you have a large learning curve ahead of you. Once you decide to have a library of hi-rez music, you will need to know much more. You may decide early that you don't think digital sound is as appealing as your analog (turntable) sound. You will not have invested that much money, time or mistakes. Streaming let's you get a taste first....

niels

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:58 pm »
What Blu-ray player do you have? Some blu-ray players have 5.1 analog outputs, use the Front L/R out to your preamp for the sound when you play cd`s.
Blu-ray players are not all alike, most will not pass the low frequency channel on to your speakers in stereo, my Cambridge BD751 does it in Dolby Digital mode, not in DTS, there is quite a big difference between the two on concert cd`s, Dolby Digital with LFE passed on much better, especially if you have a subwoofer also.
What computer do you have? An easy start is maybe the Nad wireless dac if you want to stream from your computer.
http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/DAC-1-Wireless-USB-Digital-to-Analogue-Converter
Do you use Spotify?
There are loads of dacs out there without preamps, from 20 dollar ones at E-bay to some priced like houses.

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2013, 12:06 am »
Turnover,
There is a lot of good advice here and it all is trying to help.  Not all digital music is created equal.  With a BP 26 and Krell amp you are used to pretty good sound.  Can you make it to an audio store to listen to digital music?  Better yet take something home for audition?  This would be free and give you a flavor for what is out there and may help guide your decision.  If possible listen to something you are familiar with.

Mike

turnovertherecord

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:19 am »
Turnover,
There is a lot of good advice here and it all is trying to help.  Not all digital music is created equal.  With a BP 26 and Krell amp you are used to pretty good sound.  Can you make it to an audio store to listen to digital music?  Better yet take something home for audition?  This would be free and give you a flavor for what is out there and may help guide your decision.  If possible listen to something you are familiar with.

Mike

Mike

As I will start with a CD transport (panasonic DMP BD-80) and find a DAC used to get me started,a DAC without a digital pre amp,such as a Moon 300D or something the same if I do not like it I can re sell it for the same money,I also have a Pavilion dv6 with i 5 and built in 500 gb hard drive plus blu ray player that my son gave me,so I will try this route also

So for now just to find a quailty dac to start

Thankyou everyone for info

turnovertherecord

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2013, 04:11 pm »
Just found this dac

schiit gungir

Does anyone have an opinion :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

geowak

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2013, 04:54 pm »
Just found this dac

schiit gungir

Does anyone have an opinion :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

As a matter of fact, that is a darn good DAC. I have the Schiit Bifrost and it really shines.
The Gungir is a step up and I think you get a trial period with it. But keep in mind there are many choices
in the DAC market at all price points. Even Bryston has a couple of great DAC 's.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:39 pm »
  The Tranquility DAC is a killer for the price. As far as a transport either a music server or that Pioneer. Choosing the right digital able makes a huge difference as well.
   My advice as mostly a vinyl guy myself a CDP may be a better choice. Then at a later date a DAC can be purchased. Marantz, Oppo, Cambridge. If you can get a hold of a friends CDP or DAC try it and see if you like digital. Then dig in or opt out. have fun trying.

charles

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:35 pm »
There are tons of DACs out there.  Way too many to list, and making suggestions without knowing your priorities isn't going to get us anywhere.  What sonic qualities are you looking for, beyond 'articulate highs, seductive mids, and tight bass?'

Without knowing what you value sonically, all we can do is tell you what we like/own.

I own a Rega DAC.  Costs $1k new, has the functions you may be looking for - USB, coax and optical inputs.  To my ears, it sounds like a great turntable, but that's to my ears.  Rest of my system is a Bryston B60, Apple TV gen 1, Audio Physic Evolution Bookshelf speakers, Pro-Ject 1Xpression w/Speed Box mk2, acrylic platter, and Dynavector 10x5.  Internal phono stage in my B60.

When my turntable was boxed up for about 2 years due to living conditions, I didn't miss my turntable much having the Rega DAC in my system.

But again, that's my opinion.  Everyone's got different priorities and budgets.  The Bryston BDA-1 is an excellent DAC at a different price point.  Haven't heard the BDA-2, so I can't really comment on it more than saying it probably sounds very good.