How about a Southeast or Carolina Audio Fest?

panomaniac

How about a Southeast or Carolina Audio Fest?
« on: 24 May 2010, 04:04 pm »
The mid-Atlantic area is sorely lacking a regional audio show.  Should we have one?  Until the new Capital fest in DC, there hasn't been much from Atlanta to DC. http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

I just attended LSAF in Dallas and it's a great model for a regional show.  Small enough that you actually get to listen to stuff, but big enough to be exciting and have variety.  No reason we could not do the same here in the Southeast.

In fact I've spoken with Wayne Parham of Pi Speakers and LSAF and Rick of Selah Audio and both think it's a good idea.  What do y'all think?

I'd put it in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area.  Lot's of Hi-Fi interest there and it's easy to get to by road or air for those coming from out of town.  It would be very much along the lines of LSAF.  Some manufactures, some DIY, some BYOS (Bring Your Own System.  The idea would be to keep it simple and inexpensive so that everyone can afford to play.

I'll go hotel scouting soon, there are plenty to choose from near RDU airport.  One of the most important factors will be  - When?  What should be the date?  It needs to not conflict with busy times in the Area (Duke/Carolina games) or with other audio festivals.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome!

nullspace

Re: How about a Southeast or Carolina Audio Fest?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2010, 04:30 pm »
Great idea. Somewhere in the vicinity of the Research Triangle would be a great spot.

I know I'd attend, if only so I could get to Cosmic Cantina half a dozen times over the course of the weekend...

John

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2010, 01:24 am »
Very Good Idea.
I would love to see such a thing.

nullspace

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2010, 01:38 pm »
Hey Mike,

I was thinking about this last night, and it might be worth your while to reach out to the Dixie Bottlehead guys -- I don't know if any of them are here at AC, but you can ping them at the Bottlehead forum: Bottlehead.

They have been active participants in the past at VSAC, and since this would be in their backyard I think they'd be interested. If you could get Jim Dowdy to show up with his GM70 amp that'd be sweet, and Randy Carter with his 'il Monstro' would draw in some crowds.

Regards,
John

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2010, 02:35 pm »
I'd definitely bring some gear along if it's located in the Triangle. My main system is in Hillsborough, though I work out of state now so I don't get to listen all that much anymore :(

There's more of an active group in RDU that's on Audiokarma, though I think it's been a while since they've gotten together too...

charles28722

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2010, 02:41 pm »
I can guarantee you a vanload of audiophools from the WNC area including a couple of us who frequent RMAF, CES, etc. (and also spend a lot of $ on hi-fi stuff).  Count me in.

Charles

panomaniac

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2010, 09:31 pm »
Cool guys, glad to hear it.  I'll check into the groups mentioned.  I do hate to just drop in out of the blue, so if you know any of the guys there, please point them to this thread or give them my email address.  It's always nice to have the proper introduction. =)

qichael at qardis . kom
just replace the letter q with m (and the k, of kourse)

The RTP area should be a great place for a fest.  Lot's of audio folk already there, and many more within driving distance.