Considering an entry-level Pro-Ject turntable...

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
Considering an entry-level Pro-Ject turntable...
« on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:03 am »
Hello fellow audio friends,
I am brand new to Audio Circle but have been an audio enthusiast (I don't consider myself an "audiophile" because I love music more than electronics), for more than 30 years.

I started out with a CDP, then moved to a Macbook/DAC system, but now I've been bitten by the vinyl bug pretty hard!
I'm considering either a new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, or possibly the 1 Xpression III, with an upgraded cart, used.

Does anyone have experience listening to both of these tables?
Some on this site have said the Xpression has a noisy motor, but compared to what? I'm not really interested in going vintage and having to refurb anything- I just want to plug and play and spin some wax!

The rest of my system is:

Parasound A23 amp
Consonance Cyber 222 tube based preamp
Gallo Strada speakers
M&K 12" subwoofer
Silver speaker cables and ICs by Clear Day audio

My system is simple but very sweet sounding. I'm big into clarity, sound staging, and hopefully a low noise floor.

Any advice to a newbie getting into vinyl is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Linc

mtkupp

Re: Considering an entry-level Pro-Ject turntable...
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2015, 01:09 am »
The Carbon Debut with Ortofon 2M Red is an excellent entry point into vinyl. I picked one up last summer. My first functional turntable since the early '90s. It got me hooked well enough that I have a VPI Prime on order.

Sound Stage Direct as a used Carbon Debut/USb with Ortofon OM 10 for $279. The USB makes it easy to rip your vinyl to digital if desired.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/project-carbon-dc-usb-turntable-certified-preowned.shtml

Chinaski

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 05:05 pm »
I heard vinyl wasn't a gateway drug?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 03:49 am »
I've heard both the Debut Carbon and the 1Expression III replacement, the 1Expression Carbon Classic. I'm not a fan of the 2M Silver cartridge that comes with the latter, so I'd say a Debut Carbon, but I'd go for the Debut Carbon Esprit or SB ($600) if you play a lot of 45's. I think those are the best new TT's under a grand. Over a grand I'd spend the extra money for a Clearaudio Concept.

I think it might be hard to find a used 1Expression III, and I'd want the new AC motor with the DC power supply. At least on the debut carbon the speed is remarkably precise for such a cheap TT (like +\- .25% last time I measured it).