AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD

gooberdude

Re: AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD
« Reply #80 on: 15 Sep 2011, 11:12 pm »
yes indeed.  The TRL is a great front end, and i'm definitely keeping it & spending $ to get it fully modded by TRL.  Buying it has peaked my interest in buying cd's again too.  The Tranquility holds its own now for sure, but the sacd has a much wider soundstage & is overall a music playing machine.

that said, i use the tranquility/mac mini 95% of the time.  I'm addicted to Pandora & Netflix.  the convenience of computer audio, when combined with a good dac, is tough to beat.  the aqvox really helped in this regard.

Check out Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra.  'Bongo Fury' is much better with the aqvox.

highfilter

« Reply #81 on: 18 Sep 2011, 02:19 am »
Well that didn't take long. I did a comparison with and without the AQVOX and noticed within the first 10 seconds that the energy was gone when it was removed. Vocals didn't reach out and micro details didn't emerge like they did before. Also had a wider / more open soundstage with the AQVOX.

Damn this is sounding good. I agree that the change is indeed much larger than certain cable differences.

Making a great source / DAC even better for about $200. Wonderful!

Back to listening.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #82 on: 18 Sep 2011, 03:44 am »
So how long has it taken to go from order to (USA) delivery?  Is there anyone in the US willing to put this thing on tour within the AC community?  :)  It shouldn't require a very long stay at any one system to determine its worth (it either lowers noise floor or it doesn't).

highfilter

« Reply #83 on: 18 Sep 2011, 03:55 am »
So how long has it taken to go from order to (USA) delivery?  Is there anyone in the US willing to put this thing on tour within the AC community?  :)  It shouldn't require a very long stay at any one system to determine its worth (it either lowers noise floor or it doesn't).

Mine took 11 business days to get to Canada (They shipped it within 2 days of placing my order). Should arrive within 2 weeks I would think.

gooberdude

« Reply #84 on: 18 Sep 2011, 06:42 pm »
It took about 18 business days to get it from germany.

I can't part with mine long enough for a tour, but i'll invite anyone in the St Louis area to bring over their usb dac to try it with, or to hear the Tranquility/aqvox in my system.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #85 on: 19 Sep 2011, 04:43 pm »
ted_b, this is so cheap by audiophiles standards...why have a tour?  If you own the Tranquility, it's a no brainer - I'm not sure about other DACs.  Everyone who has ordered this with the Tranquility has heard obvious improvement, more than any cable upgrade and for a lot less than most cable upgrades. I waited about 2 1/2 weeks, but the wait was obviously worth it.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #86 on: 19 Sep 2011, 07:00 pm »
ted_b, this is so cheap by audiophiles standards...why have a tour?  If you own the Tranquility, it's a no brainer - I'm not sure about other DACs.  Everyone who has ordered this with the Tranquility has heard obvious improvement, more than any cable upgrade and for a lot less than most cable upgrades. I waited about 2 1/2 weeks, but the wait was obviously worth it.

I have an Antelope Gold DAC, and have been using a dual conduit cable.  I've mentioned that several times and hoped the thread wouldn't get hijacked.

I simply wanted to throw out the tour idea cuz it seems this thing needs no real break in or settling in; you know it's impact on a system fairly quickly, so a tour would move along quickly.  Anyway, yes, I realize I can buy it with a 30 day return (hopefully doesn't include the 22 days it takes to get here), and may go ahead and do that.  Of the 15 DACs and other things I've demoed in the past 2 yrs I'm certainly no stranger to Visa transactions.  :)

Audioclyde

« Reply #87 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:08 pm »
To any of you that have received your AQVOX, is there any way to 'track' the package delivery once it is in the US?  I received a tracking # from the mfgr on Sept. 5, and when I input the info into the provided link, I got the following message:  "The item was scanned in the country of destination United States of America. This will be the last available item status, if the destination country does not offer track & trace services all the way down to the recipient."  This message showed up on September 5; but I suspect the package wasn't really in the US at that date...just wondering what carrier makes actual delivery in the US, and if there is anyway to track.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I know I just need to be patient  :)!

Randy

gooberdude

« Reply #88 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm »
Considering its the 20th, i'd stop by the local post office to see if they are holding it for you.  AFAIK, there was no way to track mine.  It was being carried by the postal service, not ups, fedex, etc.

my order took 3 wks in total

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #89 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:20 am »
Mine showed up to my local post office too.  It was sitting there for 5 days before I realized.

Audioclyde

« Reply #90 on: 21 Sep 2011, 04:00 pm »
Mine AQVOX just arrived with today's mail, so I will give it a workout this evening!

ebag4

« Reply #91 on: 21 Sep 2011, 06:25 pm »
Recieved mine today as well, just 8 days after notification of shipment!  I will report back once I have some time on it.

Best,
Ed

Audioclyde

« Reply #92 on: 22 Sep 2011, 01:26 am »
Installed the AQVOX on the Rev Audio dual conduit cable and have listened off and on for the past couple of hours. I think this thing is magnificent especially given the price. Definitely less noise; everything is more vivid.

Thanks for the headed up!

Randy

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #93 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:19 am »
Welcome to the club!  I agree.  The AQVOX is magnificent.  Finally, something out of Germany that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 22 Sep 2011, 01:51 pm »
I'm about to pull the trigger.  I got their email confirmation, and it says 119 EUR (for US delivery and paypal fees).  Does this seem right?  That's about $160 and seems a little high, but maybe not.  Thanks.

ebag4

« Reply #95 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:04 pm »
I'm about to pull the trigger.  I got their email confirmation, and it says 119 EUR (for US delivery and paypal fees).  Does this seem right?  That's about $160 and seems a little high, but maybe not.  Thanks.
$160. is what I paid for mine. 

As of last night I am not certain it is bringing any improvements to my battery powered Alix into a Tranquility DAC.  I will be doing some more listening tonight now that it has had a little time to settle in. 

Best,
Ed

JohnR

« Reply #96 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:18 pm »
So if I'm reading this all correct, the Aqvox doesn't pass the audio signal.  So it doesn't matter what resolution the source material is.  Correct?

This device seems very similar to Arts product.  His is limited to 24/96 though.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.0

Just to correct this - the ART product is also a power supply, it doesn't care about the bit rate. You must be confusing it with the USB-SPDIF convertor.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #97 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:37 pm »
Ed, what is a battery powered Alix?  If it is a battery powered computer music server, I doubt the AQVOX would improve the sound of the Tranquility.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #98 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:47 pm »
Dracule1,

Thanks for letting us AC'ers know, mucho appreciated! I've been looking into 3 products that are similar:

AQVOX linear USB power supply
ART's upcoming unit called the 'Cleaner'
Tube Audio Design's Jibber Jabber (which currently seems to be off the market)

All of them seem to be in the $150-$200 price range.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #99 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:48 pm »
Ed, what is a battery powered Alix?  If it is a battery powered computer music server, I doubt the AQVOX would improve the sound of the Tranquility.
Yes, it is a single board headless PC running Voyage Linux and MPD, I control it using MPoD on a iPod Touch.  No harddrive, monitor, keyboard, mouse or fan, the flac files are served from my NMT in the HT downstairs.

I was not certain if it would be an improvement since the Alix is running off a battery.  There is certainly no major improvement,  am A/Bing with and without the AQVOX to see if there is any difference.  I am having to listen pretty hard so at this time I don't believe the 5V coming from the Alix USB is dirty enough to require improvement.

I may be returning this unit unless somone here wants to pick one up.

Best,
Ed