any suggestion for a Sub for a Quad 63 or 57?

orientalexpress

any suggestion for a Sub for a Quad 63 or 57?
« on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:42 pm »
Thanks

:thumb:

alan1946

Re: any suggestion for a Sub for a Quad 63 or 57?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:47 pm »
put the quads on townsend audio stands  and fit their super tweeter on top then you will not want sub   allan uk

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:40 pm »
I've had good results with a Vandersteen 2Wq used with Quad 63's in a small to mid-sized room.  No affiliation with the company and, of course, YMMV.  Cordially,

Thebiker

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:39 pm »
My first thought would be REL.  I have found them to be the easiest to integrate smoothly.  Don't want a hole in the soundstage and don't want bass overdone.  JMHO

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:54 pm »
+1 for REL.  Either the T-5 or R218 would be good choices.  I own a T-Zero, T-5 and an older T-1, and the first two are great and easy to integrate. 

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:59 am »
GR Research and Rythmik worked together to create a one-of-a-kind subwoofer system that is uniquely suited for use with Quad Loudspeakers, or any other dipole. It is a pair of 12" woofers mounted in opposing fashion in an Open Baffle W or H-Frame, and powered by the Rythmik A370 Plate Amp fitted with a shelving circuit that counteracts the low-frequency cancellation inherent in such a design. The system benefits from not only the long-acknowledged advantages of Open Baffle speakers in general, but also from the Rythmik Servo System. The Swedish company Gradient offered an OB H-Frame sub for Quad 63's in the 70's and '80's, and built it in dimensions making it suitable to double as stands for the Quads. You can build, or have built for you, frames in any form you want to put the GR/Rythmik OB Servo Sub System into. Details are available on both company's websites.

zoltm2001

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:10 am »
If you don't mind, would you mind postinf the URL links for the mentioned OB subwoofer?

I can't saw anything on this page, http://gr-research.com/diykits.aspx

GR Research and Rythmik worked together to create a one-of-a-kind subwoofer system that is uniquely suited for use with Quad Loudspeakers, or any other dipole. It is a pair of 12" woofers mounted in opposing fashion in an Open Baffle W or H-Frame, and powered by the Rythmik A370 Plate Amp fitted with a shelving circuit that counteracts the low-frequency cancellation inherent in such a design. The system benefits from not only the long-acknowledged advantages of Open Baffle speakers in general, but also from the Rythmik Servo System. The Swedish company Gradient offered an OB H-Frame sub for Quad 63's in the 70's and '80's, and built it in dimensions making it suitable to double as stands for the Quads. You can build, or have built for you, frames in any form you want to put the GR/Rythmik OB Servo Sub System into. Details are available on both company's websites.

ZENTISH

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2014, 05:10 pm »
The only one that I would consider is the TBI Magellin, either the VIII or the VI.. Running a stereo pair would be ideal!
 There is a pair for sale on this site. (don't know the seller). Good luck with your search, Tish

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 12:16 pm »
If you don't mind, would you mind postinf the URL links for the mentioned OB subwoofer?

I can't saw anything on this page, http://gr-research.com/diykits.aspx

On the GR Research site, click on "Drivers". At the bottom of the page you'll see the SW-12-16FR. That is a 12" Servo Feedback woofer for Open Baffle applications. Click on it and it's specs are shown. Near the bottom of the page you'll see "Click here for enclosure plans" or some such line. Click on it, and Open Baffle W-Frame drawings with dimensions are shown. Two of the drivers are mounted facing in opposite directions on baffles 90 degrees offset from one another. You have to build the frames or have them built by a cabinet maker. They work extremely well with panel speakers for the obvious reasons. You can also put the two drivers in an H-Frame, and it will look very similar to the Gradiant dipole sub for Quad 63's that were big a couple of decades ago. But these drivers are hooked up to the Rythmik Servo Feedback plate amp.

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 01:17 pm »
GR servo OB subs, or Hawthorne Augie OBs

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2014, 02:07 pm »
    BG Radia Subs and Amp. Check them out. Not a dealer.

charles

Danne

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2014, 05:34 pm »
For Quad 63, the obvious advice would be the Gradient SW-63 subwoofer: http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradient%20SW-63%20Subwoofer.html
Link just to show how they are placed under the ESL.

REL is very common and often comes up as a suggestion for ESL and Magnetostats. They are good for this job. I can buy REL cheaper than people in US, but anyway (lots of import tax paid) use 4 Rythmik F12 subs to get a very good integration. If you're in US I can not see a better bargain than going with Rythmiks. I'm not gonna say how high I cross them over, since preconceptions will give me replies that it sounds bad, try lower etc. Anyway, XO point is very room dependent, try in your room, not everyone has such a customed designed treated room as I have.

Free advice :-)  Do measurments if you integrate with a sub (not needed for Gradient SW-63), and don't only look at the frequency response (which is way too common), your decay times will tell you how your sub integrates with your room.
Second free advice, rather buy 2 or more smaller subs than one gigantic. Your room integration will be much better and sound much better.

Good luck.