I joined the Modwright community

Whitese

I joined the Modwright community
« on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:19 pm »
I purchased a used Modwright Sony DVP-NS999ES Signature modification with eveything that was offered by Modwright including the tube rectified power supply and Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-silver umbilical.

I am looking fwd to getting it next week and after I figure out some stuff, pick some brains in here...It will be mated to a Berning TF-10 preamp and EA230 amp..to JBL 4430's or L96.

Pics are from previous owner:

Philistine

Re: I joined the Modwright community
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:24 pm »
Welcome to the MW community.

The 999ES was my first encounter with Dan many years ago, I remember it keeping me up all night listening to how good my CDs really were.
I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I did.

Whitese

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:27 pm »
I think I will...I am listening to a lot of old time classical with Lute and small ensemble music, were a good CDP will shine, with all the ambiance, old wood resonance, ect..

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:24 pm »
Welcome to the communit, from the Owner and CEO of ModWright Instruments!

I hope that you thoroughly enjoy the 999ES and that you will consider us for future upgrades.  I believe in quality, service, value and good customer service.

Take care and enjoy the music!

Dan
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2016, 05:26 pm by modwright »

Whitese

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »
I need help my friends...out of the blue, the PS 9.0 is blowing fuses. If I replace a fuse it blows instantly as I turn it on.   Any suggestions, or just send it straight to you guys?

AB

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm »
Tube rectified, right? Have you tried a different rectifier tube?

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2012, 03:40 am »
Agreed.  Likely a bad rectifier tube.

Thanks,

Dan

Whitese

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2012, 09:47 pm »
This issue is resolved...New tubes and new fuses...previous owner had the wrong value fuse in there.

iamjaymo

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 08:07 pm »
I realize this thread is a bit dated but containing my excitement is no longer possible. Worked out a deal with the original owner of a KWI 200 and to say I am excited would be an understatement. I have longed, looked and lusted at Modwright's for quite some time...and now soon, one will be in my listening room. I will report back soon when I receive it.

I may want to install the phono board eventually, anyone know the turn around time? Cost? And general process? Thanks in advance.

J

talk2me

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2013, 04:27 am »
There is no better customer service than ModWright.

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2013, 08:27 pm »
Thank you!  We strive to ALWAYS put our customers FIRST!

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

Jeffy

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2013, 04:30 pm »
Dan is the best and very friendly in person. Jeff

iamjaymo

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2013, 11:37 pm »
So I just got my new to me KWI-200 in house...OMG it is incredible!  It is a rock crusher with eloquent edges.  It is fantastic! To say this is a musical amp would be a VAST understatement.  Nice work Mr. Wright, nice work indeed.

shahed

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2013, 11:55 pm »
I'm a new ModWright user. I've a LS 100 and KWA100 SE to drive my Daedalus Ulysses. I'm enjoying the best sound I've ever heard in my setup. Dan has been super helpful from the beginning. I recently had some mild bad experiences from one particular manufacturer/owner; which kinda amplified in my mind how helpful, prompt  and patient Dan has been!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2013, 12:01 am »
I have a MW SWL 9.0 SE Sig en route to me from another AC member.  Dan and his team answered my many questions quickly and in a very positive manner.   :thumb:

Looking forward to hooking up the SWL 9.0!

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2013, 08:42 pm »
Thank you all very much!  I appreciate the feedback!  This business was born out of passion for audio and music.  It remains to be this way, despite the company being larger and my being BUSIER ;).  I strive to maintain the SAME level of product and service that we started with.

Take care,

Dan W.

jackox

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2013, 06:45 pm »
Becoming a Modwrighter is the best and worst thing that happened in my music lover life.

Best : it all started with that may be the first Oppo BDP-83SE Dan worked on with full channel solid state mod.
Since the unit went back to Dan and got few more tweaks, then I did some of my own stuff.
It is by far the best CD/SACD/DVD-A unit I got my hands on, it still run and give me an amazing sound stage.
Even though we live very far I had the chance to get Dan on the phone, he may be the more interesting, talented and kind person in the business.
Then I ended up with two KWA150SE ... many thanks to Dan again, I never had dreamed to end up with such amazing amps ! I tried few other and I always get back to my KWAs, not because I paid for them, because they do sound like I was always expecting an amp to sound like.

Worst : because Dan is making such good product I became very demanding and any piece of equipement I own must be at the top. So I get all my stuff moded and upgraded.

I am really thankull to Dan's work and to his coworkers.
I do hope to be able to have enough free time to get to Munich highend once and grab a beer !

maxboy00

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:26 pm »
So I just got my new to me KWI-200 in house...OMG it is incredible!  It is a rock crusher with eloquent edges.  It is fantastic! To say this is a musical amp would be a VAST understatement.  Nice work Mr. Wright, nice work indeed.

Yes that has been my experience with the KWI-200, an outstanding IA, The amp is also great at low listening levels as well as rocking out.  The IA has great power reserves and only gets better the longer you listen to it.

iamjaymo

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:46 am »
So, just for fun, I added an LS-100 to the mix! Haven't received it yet, but wondering what a little tube magic will do for the KWI-200. Saw that the combo in pictures at one of the shows Modwright did (Chicago) and have been curious ever since. Guess I'll find out...

I love this gear...I'm hooked! After more than 30 amps passing thru my listening room, finally!

maxboy00

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2013, 12:31 pm »
Please post your impressions of the LS-100 when used with the KWI-200, I have also thought of adding it with my system. According to Dan, it puts the KWI-200 in an another league?  Since I never had used tubes before, I been hesitant to get one.  What speakers are you using w/the KWI?