Vintage Audio: Harman Kardon CITATION 19 Power Amp

John Casler

Vintage Audio: Harman Kardon CITATION 19 Power Amp
« on: 30 Jun 2009, 11:24 pm »
Vintage Audio:

Harman Kardon CITATION 19 Power Amp.

Back in the days when Lee Kuby headed HK's CITATION Line Harman Kardon was spoken of in the same sentences as Conrad Johnson, Marantz and McIntosh.

While those days are gone, some of their legacy remains in the still available CITATION models out there.

I have two.

One is a completley ORIGINAL CITATION Model 19 Power Amp.

The other is slightly upgraded CITATION Model 19 Power Amp with new Gold Plated RCA jacks and Watgate 15 amp Hostpital Grade AC connector.

The Original CITATION Model 19 had very good specs:

Power Output :  100 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
Amperage : 3.7 amps @ 8 ohms, 6.3 amps @ 4 ohms
Total Harmonic Distortion :  0.08% @ 8 ohms
0.08%
Frequency Response :  5Hz - 140kHz -3dB
Slew Rate :  > 40 volts/microsecond
Rise Time :  better than 2 microseconds
Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) :  < 0.08%
Damping Factor :  > 125:1
Signal-to-Noise Ratio :  - 95dB
Input Level/Impedance :  - 200mv/32k ohms

These beasts will drive virtually any load and are exceptional for amps of this era.

Perfect to drive those old Maggies, Dollies, JBLs, Advents, AR's or what have you.

These are in relatively good shape for their age and I have owned BOTH since 1974 (may even have the original receipts)  Additionally I might even have the original Banana Plugs that shipped with the unit (on the upgraded model I have also upgraded the banana plugs)

Both are currently in working order, and the only known non-working element is a few of the LEDs in the display are not functioning.

This amp can be bridged via a switch on the back which effectively doubles the output at 8 ohms in mono.

Manuals are available "online" here: http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/CITATION19OM.PDF

The ORIGINAL is priced at $299 plus shipping and PayPal expesnses (if applicable)

The UPGRADED is priced at $359 plus shipping and PayPal expesnses (if applicable)

Even though I am a part time dealer I placed this in the Trading Post since I am the original owner, and purchased these in 1974 prior to ever dealing with resale.

« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2012, 09:41 pm by John Casler »