Hacksaw Ridge

Wind Chaser

Hacksaw Ridge
« on: 12 Nov 2016, 02:26 am »
Went in not knowing much about it, apart from it is supposed to be a true story / at least based on a true story. The first 90 minutes is pretty easy to watch but after that, the violence is so intense and graphic it was hard to watch. In the middle of all the chaos, our hero, a conscientious objector with a burning desire to serve his country, fearlessly goes to into the thick of the battle without a firearm, and against all odds, survives and saves 75 wounded men in the process. I thought the whole idea of conscientious objection was to remove ones self from harms way, but apparently that's not so. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially when you're not even obligated to serve.

geowak

Re: Hacksaw Ridge
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2016, 03:16 am »
Have not seen the movie, but I want too. Desmond Doss, yes he was a real man who served with the US Military and received a Medal of Honor. The story is meant to be ironic, because his situation was very unusual. Sorry my friend if you don't understand why he entered the military. Many young people did, after 9/11. Patriotism? Sense of duty? Proud to be part of America? I know many people who think that is foolish to join the military and risk getting killed. Do they get why people do this, would they ever? Probably not.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:33 am »
Yeah, the whole CO thing seems like a technicality.  Obviously the hero of the film had no problem with other people killing and even assists them at it but doesn't want to do it himself.  Strikes me as someone who loves steak but won't cook or cut it. Still the movie was good.  Well acted and the DP did a superb job.  Vince Vaughn was a pleasant surprise to me in the 'Tom Sizemore role'.  Garfield was good but his accent was occasionally humorous; Brits seem to consistently mangle American southern accents.

The film is very very very violent, so be warned.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:37 am »
Well maybe I'll make it to the theater for this one. I can say though that I'll cook steak, and I'm better at it than most people by a long ways, but I never want it in my mouth for the rest of my life.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:11 am »
Saw this one this weekend past.

I knew nothing about it, other than what I read in this thread.

I enjoyed it a lot.  A lot of violence, but given the subject matter it felt appropriate.

I was on and off with Vince Vaughan.  I enjoyed his dry humor as the Sarge, and felt he did a good job of masking his typical performance behind a harder shell.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:17 am »
I liked it. Not the best movie but a great story. Some of the violence seemed a little excessive/unreal for a couple of snippets, but mostly ok. Overall I think it was good. Can't complain since I spent $2.50 to see it in a theater.

bnut311

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:43 am »
I thought the whole idea of conscientious objection was to remove ones self from harms way, but apparently that's not so. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially when you're not even obligated to serve.
 Are you kidding me?

bnut311

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:46 am »
If you're not willing to put yourself in harms way, please leave my country