My Signature 15 just arrived!

fallbalance

Re: My Signature 15 just arrived!
« Reply #20 on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:05 am »
Ah, good - I thought that was probably what was happening... I guess I never noticed that they publish reviews in piecemeal.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:33 pm »
Alwayswantmore,

Thanks for all your posts and updates as you have been spending quality listening time with it - much appreciated.

Hi fallbalance,

Yes - 6moons has a section called "Previews" (which is where the Sig 15 is right now), and the official "Reviews" section - where the preview is added to with detailed listening impressions, comparisons, and the full review and summary.  The review loaner is en route to Srajan of 6moons today, so I expect that it will arrive next week.

To all those who have placed their Sig 15 orders,

We have been catching up with shipping them this week (last week was a nightmare with the 5 day power outage).  I really appreciate all your patience.

More to come soon...

Vinnie

radarnyc

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2011, 03:54 pm »
"I run my Deep Hemp in parallel off speaker wires, but there is an option for RCA in. A gain controlled RCA out comes standard on the Signature integrated amps, so one of my next experiments will be line-level to the sub."

Hey Alwayswantmore - have you had a chance to try the sub via line-level outs? Thanks...

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:02 am »
Hi radarnyc. Yes I did switch some time ago. Only made the move once and they have been running that way ever since. I'll switch back and see if I can pick out any difference and report back.

The system is sounding really good. I'm doing a gig a week from tonight, and part of the show includes some Diana Krall covers. Last night I was going through the songs and then just started running through various Krall tracks. It was amazing how much difference I could hear in the piano and vocals from recording to recording (based on the engineering / mics, etc.). Some of the recordings were real close micing, which I love. This amp is amazingly transparent.

"I run my Deep Hemp in parallel off speaker wires, but there is an option for RCA in. A gain controlled RCA out comes standard on the Signature integrated amps, so one of my next experiments will be line-level to the sub."

Hey Alwayswantmore - have you had a chance to try the sub via line-level outs? Thanks...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:03 pm »
All,

Just remember (per the owner's manual):

IMPORTANT: The negative (-) speaker outputs of both channels of your Signature 15 LFP-V Edition stereo amplifier DO NOT share a common ground!  Therefore, NEVER connect the speaker outputs to a subwoofer or any other device that has speaker-level inputs that have a common ground.  In other words, do NOT connect the negative (-) speaker binding posts together.  Doing so will short the outputs of the amplifier stage and cause your Signature 15 LFP-V Edition to shut down if it overheats.

The Class AB MOSFET output stage is bridged, so the LEFT NEGATIVE and RIGHT NEGATIVE are not
tied together and should not be tied together. 

However, there are quite a few subs out there that do not tie the speaker-level negative inputs together (e.g. The Omega Deep Hemp), so these will work fine.

Otherwise...

1) Use the line-level preamp outputs to connect to the line-level inputs.

2) You can connect a 100-ohm resistor in series with each negative speaker wire that
connects to the sub.  This will work fine.

3) No subwoofer for you!  :nono:  :green:

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2011, 06:15 pm »
Hi all. Re switching from RCA to speaker level inputs on the sub.... I'm waiting for a day when my wife is out of the house so I can bring the volume up a bit prior to the comparison. Sorry for the delay. The system is sounding sweet!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:14 pm »
All,

Today I shipped another Signature 15 Integrated - this time to Tone Audio!  8)

We're working on our next batch...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #27 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:36 am »
driving the Deep Hemp Sub via line outs vs speaker outputs

Finally had the time to listen loud and deep. Material included early Flim & the BBs, fusion (kick, electric bass & synth), Eagles When Hell Freezes Over / Hotel California (deep congas), Patricia Barber Nightclub / Autumn Leaves (acoustic bass).

Identifying differences was very difficult. I finally went back and forth multiple times on Hotel California and Autumn Leaves. There is no way I could tell which I was listening to if brought into the room blindfolded.

The only difference I could identify with reasonable confidence is the speaker outputs appears to have a little more bloom. By this I mean a little more sense of resonance from the instrument (conga / acoustic bass). I preferred the additional bloom and left the sub connected via speaker outputs.

The amp has broken in very nicely and is a superb unit. Even areas where I initially had concerns have come along nicely. I had the Sig 15 set at about 1:30 on the volume control the first time I played Hotel California. When the conga first came in I literally jumped because it was so loud and deep.

Vinnie got this one right  8)

Tommy123

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:37 am »
I'm excited about upcoming reviews on this amp and also the new mono.

dewar

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2012, 08:09 am »
Curious to read the 6moons review too. This thread describes it as relatively bright, though reading through the letters section on 6moons I see Srajan describe it as "denser meatier" (than a First Watt S2). Could be both I guess. Will be an interesting read no doubt. Cheers

B

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:08 pm »
Hi Dewar, without rereading the thread, I'm not sure where I refer to amp as bright. The words that I'm left with are transparent (as in you hear past the equipment to the musical performance) and organic (in the instruments and vocals sound very natural). I'm a musician and I'm around live music every week. This amp is as real and lifelike as I have experienced in my home. I owned an F1 for a short period (returned it and paid the 10% restocking fee). This amp, to my memory, has much more feeling of being there. The timbre is very accurate for all classes of musical instruments. Vocals are very nature, etc. So if I left the impression it is bright, I am sorry, because that is not the case.

If Srajan refered to it as "dense and meaty," I agree as follows: Based on my listening I would translate this to mean there is more flesh and blood on the aural canvas on which the amp paints... As in what I hear allows my mind to better "see" the musicians with their instruments. All of this supports why I believe this is amp is more than just a good deal.

Curious to read the 6moons review too. This thread describes it as relatively bright, though reading through the letters section on 6moons I see Srajan describe it as "denser meatier" (than a First Watt S2). Could be both I guess. Will be an interesting read no doubt. Cheers

B

dewar

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2012, 06:40 am »
You did twice describe it as brighter than the Sig 30, but not pejoratively. I certainly dont use it as a bad word either - every amp falls somewhere on a light-dark continuum and there's always a pretty even chance of one or the other favoring any given speaker/room... and other important qualities than an amps tonal leaning. Brighter/more 'lit up' does normally go against a 'flesh and bones' type of density, but as I say both the Sig 15 and Sig 30 might be relatively dense amps compared to the First Watts for example, certainly thats my (old) memory of my Sig 30 next to my F5.

Thanks for your input. I'm betting the Sig 15 is a winner.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm »
Gotcha. I have always felt the Sig 30/30.2 to be slightly reticent in the highs. This amp feels like highs are more extended and have more air. This characteristic along with its transparency result in a very clear window to the performance.

You did twice describe it as brighter than the Sig 30, but not pejoratively. I certainly dont use it as a bad word either - every amp falls somewhere on a light-dark continuum and there's always a pretty even chance of one or the other favoring any given speaker/room... and other important qualities than an amps tonal leaning. Brighter/more 'lit up' does normally go against a 'flesh and bones' type of density, but as I say both the Sig 15 and Sig 30 might be relatively dense amps compared to the First Watts for example, certainly thats my (old) memory of my Sig 30 next to my F5.

Thanks for your input. I'm betting the Sig 15 is a winner.

radarnyc

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:19 am »
Did you happen to catch the continuation of the 6moons preview? I found the comparisons to Nelson's SIT-2 very interesting. Congrats Vinnie

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine14/1.html

radarnyc

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:37 am »
In reading the article again, I just noticed one of the photos. The sig15 and SIT-2 look a little David and Goliath themed!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2012, 05:39 pm »
Did you happen to catch the continuation of the 6moons preview? I found the comparisons to Nelson's SIT-2 very interesting. Congrats Vinnie

Hi radarnyc,

Thanks for the link! 

I sent the Sig 15 to Srajan with the stock JJ tube, but man, when you tube roll it (e.g. MiniWatt Dario 7308, Mullard CV2492, Amperex 7308, and many others), you can really fine-tune it to sound even more tube-like with more depth and dimension, or with something like the EAT CoolValve or Siemens CCa, you'll get even more top-end transparency that Srajan is getting from the SIT-2. 

Gotcha. I have always felt the Sig 30/30.2 to be slightly reticent in the highs. This amp feels like highs are more extended and have more air. This characteristic along with its transparency result in a very clear window to the performance.

Hi Alwayswantmore,

You are spot on with this - and I wanted to have the richness of the 30.2 LFP-V, but with more top-end extension and low-level detail and and overall better sense of transparency.  Moving to the Class AB FET output stage (with the Class A tube input stage before it) got me there, and the LFP battery makes it punchy, dynamic, and in pure BATT mode gives a super black background (as Srajan picked up, even with those highly sensitive Rethms that I'd love to hear!).

I'm excited about upcoming reviews on this amp and also the new mono.

Hi Tommy123,

The Liliana Monoblocks are like the Sig 15, but with real power to drive almost any speaker.  They have EVERYTHING and are our finest amplifiers yet!  I'm very excited to get them into production.  We hit some delays/errors with our enclosure manufacturer, as well as our OEM design battery packs being about an 1/2" too long to fit in their custom designed brackets.  :banghead:   Corrections are being made and I still am optimistic that we'll be in product this month (but just a few weeks delayed). 

Thanks, everyone!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm »
More customer feedback here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98262.msg1032562#msg1032562

Next Signature 15 review will be from Tone Audio, and one will also be going to:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/

He has the Tekton Lores (excellent value and amazing combo with the Signature 15!) and
the Tekton Pendragons:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/01/02/part-one-introducing-the-tekton-pendragon-option-ii/

I want to hear them!!!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:08 pm »
I'm excited and honored to learn that the Signature 15 has just earned a
Blue Moon Award from reviewer Srajan Ebaen of 6moons.com

Here is the link to page 1 of the 5-page review:

First review for the Signature 15 - and a nice way to start off 2012!  :beer:

More great stuff coming soon....

Vinnie

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:17 pm »
Congrats Vinnie,

I agree with Srajan, achieving tonal density at the price point of the Signature 15 is a real achievement. Congratulations.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm »
...OK guys (and gals), a Blue Moon award is not the same as a 6Moons award, in BMAs are handed out only once in a...

I've now read the review twice. It has MANY great things to say about this amp, which IMO are well deserved. And yes, again, the BM award is great. But IMO Srajan missed the boat...

Here he is trying the amp with different cables to get a little more of this or that out of the system, yet he's running with stock JJs. For much less than the cables he could have brought the amp to a whole 'nother playing field just by rolling tubes. For perspective, I could not even listen to my gear with stock tubes. So he has never really heard what this amp can deliver. Its like running an Indy car on budget tires.

Now you can argue he's comparing stock to stock, when the Sig 15 is up against the First Watt SIT-2. But the FW is $5,000 without a volume control. For the multi-grand difference, most of us could pop for a NOS tube or two.

I'm not trying to be sour grapes, a Blue Moon Award is fantastic! And Vinnie and crew should be proud to receive this recognition. But for a $100 to couple hundred in NOS tubes, Srajan could have taken this amp out on the audio Autobahan and run against some pricy supercars. So thanks Srajan for recognizing the greatness of this amp. I only wish you could have heard it as I do in my listening room.

Respectfully, Kent

P.S. I have Srajan to thank for finding RWA. If not for his initial review of the Sig 30, and an e-mail exchange we had in the same timeframe, I might still be running a space heater as my power source. He was the man that provided the impetus for me to put the original Sig 30 side by side with an F1. Yes, the exercise set me back more than $250 in restocking fees to return the F1. But my five+ year relationship with Vinnie and his products more than justifies this small investment in great sound.

Congratulations again Vinnie. Job well done!