Video guides to setting up JRiver for DSD and hirez

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Video guides to setting up JRiver for DSD and hirez
« on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:35 am »
After several failed and one half-ass attempt at publishing a JRiver tutorial I have worked out many of the bugs (read: user error and video driver issues) and decided to try again.

At the urging of several Audio Circle and Computer Audiophile members I am attempting to publish a four-part tutorial (edit, make that three-part) on Getting Started With JRiver As An Audiophile Player.  I decided on the multi-part structure because I felt that it would be easier for folks who already have some JRiver experience to pick and choose (i.e Part One is pretty darn basic).  Also, it gives me more freedom to go into some additional detail in each section.  So.......I will publish the series as outlined below. 

When a section is ready, it will be bolded and will include two links:
* a screencast.com link to watch it online
* a dropbox link to download the MP4 video to your computer.

Part One:  Intro (20:39)
•   Introduction
•   Installation
•   Importing music
•   Setting up DAC/output
•   Basic JRemote setup

View Part One online:  http://www.screencast.com/t/6RPtNbbKN4
Download MP4 video:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/jriver%20part%201%20-%20intro.mp4

Part Two: Tagging and Custom Views
•   Tagging techniques
•    Filling tags from file info
•   Tag Pasting
•   Mass tagging ideas
•   Building customized views
•   Exporting them to JRemote

View Part Two online:  http://www.screencast.com/t/52KgBYF34vSD
Download MP4 video:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Part%20Two%20-%20Tags%20and%20Views.mp4

Part Three:  Resampling, file conversions and misc feedback
•   How to set up output for PCM and DSD resampling
•   How to convert PCM to DSD offline
•   Answering feedback questions with examples

As I publish these feel free to leave feedback, criticism or ideas to include in the remaining sections.  Alos, if you go to screencast to view online and it disallows you, my monthly bandwidth is used up and downloading via dropbox is your other option (the dropbox links are public and don't require a dropbox app at your end).  Thanks....

P.S.  Here is the original out-of-synch 26 min video, in case you were wondering where I was going with the subject matter.  It was included in this original now-defunct thread topic.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Beginner.mp4

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2013, 03:21 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
Re: Video guides to setting up JRiver for DSD and hirez
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2013, 08:16 pm »
Part Two:  Tagging and Custom Views now available online via Screencast.com and/or download via dropbox (both links above)

DZetye

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:06 pm »
Ted,
thank you so much for your continuing efforts with the tutorial.  I have watched them multiple times and have learned a lot so far.  I have managed to import and catalog about 900 albums and I am just now beginning to see how to use the tagging features.  I will have to watch them more as I still don't know how to get and tag albums with artwork images.  You did show one example and maybe I can use that as a start.  I am still confused about JPlay for remotes but don't know if I will be using that feature.  It seems to be setup differently on Macs.  I am looking forward to your next tutorial and hope you will mention tricks for optimum setup with the Teac UD-501.  It seems a lot of us are using that DAC because it is so cost effective.  Sorry to be so long-winded but just wanted to add comments and tell you how much I appreciate your efforts.  Thank you again

edn4x4

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2013, 03:11 am »
Ted,
I finally had the chance to watch these videos - well done! :thumb:
I really appreciate your effort and can't wait for part 3.
Eric

Ammoniaman

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2013, 10:52 pm »
Ted

Very nice job with the videos.  J River may give us too many options -  as you stated in the video, there are always 4 different ways to do things.

Fixing capitalization and other issues, especially in SACD rips, may be simpler to do using Library Tools- Clean File Properties rather than writing an expression.   I find that menu item fixes all kinds of junk.

Perhaps the most powerful set of tools for extracting info into and out of the tags and file names are the 2 library commands
Rename, Move and Copy Files
Fill Properties from Filename

And to a lesser extent, Fill Track Numbers from List Order.

Using those 2 commands, if the information is anywhere in the Filename or tags, it can be put into the proper place.

strat95

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2014, 08:09 am »
Ted, thanks for taking the time with the videos.  What you've shown is a great help.

I'm wondering if a short video can be done to show different audio set ups with pros and cons of each (such as ASIO and other variants) and the various operating systems.  I personally always find this stuff confusing.  I run ASIO with winamp on Windows XP and I never know if I would have to do the same for JRiver.  Can JRiver achieve this with a stock install or does other software have to be installed as I have done for my winamp / ASIO setup?  What if you're using Windows 7 or Windows 8?  If not a video at least a chart would be a good starting point.

Thanks for all your efforts,

TV

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:24 pm »
Wow!  :thumb: Hats off to you bud to help those of us who don't have time...

Best,
Anand.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:27 pm »
Ted

Very nice job with the videos.  J River may give us too many options -  as you stated in the video, there are always 4 different ways to do things.

Fixing capitalization and other issues, especially in SACD rips, may be simpler to do using Library Tools- Clean File Properties rather than writing an expression.   I find that menu item fixes all kinds of junk.

Perhaps the most powerful set of tools for extracting info into and out of the tags and file names are the 2 library commands
Rename, Move and Copy Files
Fill Properties from Filename

And to a lesser extent, Fill Track Numbers from List Order.

Using those 2 commands, if the information is anywhere in the Filename or tags, it can be put into the proper place.

Thx for the nice words, and for the tip on Clean File Properties.

Yes, I agree with you on the two commands (for me its rename/move/copy and fill track numb from list order).  I use them all the time, and it's why I highlighted them in the video.
Thx

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:34 pm »
Ted, thanks for taking the time with the videos.  What you've shown is a great help.

I'm wondering if a short video can be done to show different audio set ups with pros and cons of each (such as ASIO and other variants) and the various operating systems.  I personally always find this stuff confusing.  I run ASIO with winamp on Windows XP and I never know if I would have to do the same for JRiver.  Can JRiver achieve this with a stock install or does other software have to be installed as I have done for my winamp / ASIO setup?  What if you're using Windows 7 or Windows 8?  If not a video at least a chart would be a good starting point.

Thanks for all your efforts,

TV
TV, thanks for the comments.

Regarding drivers, the choices that are presented to you in Audio Devices are strictly based on what is installed by the DAC or sound card setup.  If you have a choice of ASIO and WASAPI (or kernels treaming) then try each.  Many folks choose ASIO if it is available, and for DSD playback, ASIO is the only driver that allows you to go direct "DSD" bitstreaming (otherwise you simply choose DSD-over-PCM aka DoP bitstreaming, which is simply another way to listen to native DSD).

theob

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2014, 09:24 pm »
Nice videos Ted_b.  Information was really helpful given I just became a JR user.

theob

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2014, 01:34 am »
Maybe a dumb question but do you need to buy Jremote 1st then activate as per the video?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:30 pm »
As of Feb 17 I am going to cancel the upgraded Pro susbscription to the video hosting service called Screencast,  It was simply used so that my JRiver tutorial videos could be seen these past few months without downloading them, and without worrying about bandwidth (monthly usage).  As of Feb 17 they will  continue to be on screencast.com but my monthly bandwidth is limited to my free account.  If you get a message that bandwidth is used up then simply come back here and use the provided download links to download the actual videos for local use.  Thanks...

baconbrain

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2014, 09:18 pm »
Ted,

Really appreciate the videos and I am looking forward to part 3. I did encounter a small challenge with using your example about adding a sample rate suffix in the album field. When using the expression =[Album] /(24-96/) it ends up replacing the entire album name instead of just adding the suffix. Checked the wiki without much success and was hoping you could point me in the right direction? Thx!

bmoura

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm »
Very cool!

I'll download Parts 1 and 2 - and keep an eye out for Part 3.

slingshot

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm »
Hi Ted, did you ever prepare the third video? I have 100s of DSF files that I want to convert to PCM. I'm sure there is a way to do it all at once. Thanks

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:23 pm »
Hi.  No I didn't.  Tell me more:
1) why do you want to convert DSF files to PCM?
2)  will you keep the original DSF files?
3) if so, would simple on-the-fly conversion (JRiver, A+, others) meet your needs?

JRiver will convert on the fly in its DSP studio (options -> audio -> dsp and output, is one way to get there).  It will also, instead, convert the physical files by highlighting them in JRiver and then right click (library tools .> convert format).  it will do as many as you highlighted.  When in the conversion setting you can tell JRIver to keep or delete the originals, and where to store the new ones.

slingshot

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:48 pm »
Ted, I have converted DSD to PCM on the fly. From reading a review of the new Berkeley DAC,  the manufacturer stated that the files would sound better if converted before playing them instead of on the fly. You may have compared the difference and I would want your opinion. I have a powerful enough computer, I think to do the processing in any event. Rain Recording Ion with 3.06 GHz Xeon Quad-Core chip. So maybe it is not necessary.

I would keep the original DSD files. This is complicated by the fact that they are on three Hard Drives with some other files and I haven't moved them to my Synology NAS which I am just setting up and not too familiar with.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:56 pm »
Yes, you seem to have a handle on it.  You will be the best judge of whether your cpu is strong enough to handle on-the-fly while serving the PCM results.  It will be easy to try a few and listen both ways.

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2015, 07:09 am »
You'd be amazed how even low-spec PCs can convert on the fly. My Emachines ER-1401 has a measly 2GB RAM and an AMD Athlon II Neo K325 dual core CPU and it converts DSD on the fly no sweat. Admittedly that's only for stereo playback. I tried doing m/c and it just buffered from here to eternity, so will soon be upgrading to a Mac mini which should fair much better at converting m/c on the fly...I hope :)

Jimmy71

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2015, 03:28 pm »
After several failed and one half-ass attempt at publishing a JRiver tutorial I have worked out many of the bugs (read: user error and video driver issues) and decided to try again.

At the urging of several Audio Circle and Computer Audiophile members I am attempting to publish a four-part tutorial (edit, make that three-part) on Getting Started With JRiver As An Audiophile Player.  I decided on the multi-part structure because I felt that it would be easier for folks who already have some JRiver experience to pick and choose (i.e Part One is pretty darn basic).  Also, it gives me more freedom to go into some additional detail in each section.  So.......I will publish the series as outlined below. 

When a section is ready, it will be bolded and will include two links:Hi James I have connected my laptop with a USB ab cable to the bda2  but what ever file (resolution) I send to the dac it always shows the same resolution on my dac shouldn't it show what ever resolution the file is?
* a screencast.com link to watch it online
* a dropbox link to download the MP4 video to your computer.

Part One:  Intro (20:39)
•   Introduction
•   Installation
•   Importing music
•   Setting up DAC/output
•   Basic JRemote setup

View Part One online:  http://www.screencast.com/t/6RPtNbbKN4
Download MP4 video:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/jriver%20part%201%20-%20intro.mp4

Part Two: Tagging and Custom Views
•   Tagging techniques
•    Filling tags from file info
•   Tag Pasting
•   Mass tagging ideas
•   Building customized views
•   Exporting them to JRemote

View Part Two online:  http://www.screencast.com/t/52KgBYF34vSD
Download MP4 video:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Part%20Two%20-%20Tags%20and%20Views.mp4

Part Three:  Resampling, file conversions and misc feedback
•   How to set up output for PCM and DSD resampling
•   How to convert PCM to DSD offline
•   Answering feedback questions with examples

As I publish these feel free to leave feedback, criticism or ideas to include in the remaining sections.  Alos, if you go to screencast to view online and it disallows you, my monthly bandwidth is used up and downloading via dropbox is your other option (the dropbox links are public and don't require a dropbox app at your end).  Thanks....

P.S.  Here is the original out-of-synch 26 min video, in case you were wondering where I was going with the subject matter.  It was included in this original now-defunct thread topic.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Beginner.mp4
Hi I need some help with the jriver I have installed my USB driver for my dac bda2 bryston , I have connected my laptop with a USB ab cable to the bda2  but what ever file (resolution) I send to the dac it always shows the same resolution on my dac shouldn't it show what ever resolution the file is?