The VPI HW-19 Mark III

mdelrossi

Re: The VPI HW-19 Mark III
« Reply #80 on: 27 Nov 2006, 09:19 pm »
Hey All this looks like the place to be!
I purchased the VPI HW19 MK3 about 16 years ago, had a kid and put it away for 12 years.
I recently resurrected the table and started to play vinyl again.
Well not being one to leave well enough alone I decided to lubricate the spindle.
off comes the platter and spindle and in goes some lube (slick50)I put platter back on but it wasn't sitting quite right, So I pulled it off and out comes a bushing. :scratch:
I put the bushing back in but the platter seems to be binding. :(
I take out the bushing and now the tables speed is all over the place. :( :(
Did I speed up my upgrade to a new platter and inverted bearing? Or is there hope?
Addendum:
I put the bushing back and put in some Tufoil platter is taking forever to settle back in and doesn't seem to spin as freely as it did with slick50 :scratch:
thanks for your help
mdr

Wayner

« Reply #81 on: 27 Nov 2006, 10:28 pm »
I wouldn't play the table anymore until you get this resolved. I suggust that the bushing in the well has not seated properly and may have compressed maybe .0001" causing a bind between the plater shaft and the bushing. I suggest taking the shaft out again, hopefully the bushing will come back out with it. I hope, also, that the shaft hasn't been damaged by the friction fit. I'm not going to take mine apart, but I remember the bushing going into a "seat" in the shaft well and yours has not been put in the right place. If the bushing comes out with the shaft and the shaft is not damaged, use a light to see if you can find a machined area in the well where the bushing is to seat. If there is one push the bushing down until it goes into this seat. I don't recall this being a "split ring" bushing but it should be made of bronze and have a reddish color. The bushing shouldn't have come out with the platter shaft, but maybe it has dried out and got caught on the shaft. I don't think there is much tolerence between the ID of the bushing and the OD of the shaft.

If you decide to do this, let us know what you discover and maybe we can help get it put back together properly.

W

mdelrossi

« Reply #82 on: 27 Nov 2006, 10:45 pm »
Well I pulled it all apart, cleaned it and replaced the bushings, added tufoil and after a few tries I got the platter in far enough to to be able to play and all seems to be well. That Tufoil stuff takes along time to seep through the bearings, not a quick as Slick50, though I think it sounds a bit better.

By the way it seems my ball bearing is permanently attached to the spindle is that ok?
I guess I won't loose it :wink:
I have a question for you Tufoil people, is the stuff supposed to be kinda gloppy? It almost pours like molasses. I was concerned and called the company, and actually spoke to Frank Reick. Nice guy.
thanks for all of your help
mdr

Wayner

« Reply #83 on: 27 Nov 2006, 10:50 pm »
If I remember in mine, it was a little hemisphere machined into the bottom of the shaft.....can't say. It's been awhile since I've been in there.

It sounds like you have the problem solved.

W

creativepart

« Reply #84 on: 27 Nov 2006, 11:40 pm »
I think VPI changed the platter, bearing and shaft many, many times over the years. My platter shaft doesn't have a ball bearing. I guess you could call it a "hemisphere" but I'd say it's a rounded point machined onto the bottom of the shaft.

If my bearing has any brass or plastic thrust bearings inside it's news to me. I've never seem 'em.

My bearing does have a removable and adjustable plug in the bottom. I can change my VTA simply by screwing in the bottom of the bearing.

VPI sent me some "oil" that they recommend and a plastic syringe to inject the oil into the bearing -- I'm not sure why they'd send the syringe seeing that the oil bottle had a long pointed top to begin with. The oil they sent doesn't look that "special" to me. But what do I know.

Also, when I put the platter on my TT it sinks quickly to the bottom of the shaft. I've had other TTs that took hours to settle.

I like the TT the way it is, but I keep my eyes open for someone selling a Scout platter and bearing after they've upgraded their Scout. I've just missed two of them in the past. I may end up liking my current platter better, but I can always switch back if that's the case.

I did add a real honest to goodness SAMA which didn't improve anything over the DIY SAMA I had made. But it looks better. And I upgraded the RB300 Tonearm to an Origin Live Silver(!). All in all I'm very happy with everything about the VPI HW-19 MKIII.

Paul
PS. On a whim I bought a used Linn LP12 for really cheap. Just to check it out. It was fine, but not my overall cup o'tea. I bought it so cheap that I could sell it again for the same price I bought it for. So, it was a win-win. Now I can say I've owned a Thorens 165, a Rega P2, a Rega P25, a Linn Sondek LP12 AND a VPI HW-19 MKIII. The more I experience other tables the more I like the one I've kept.

tonyptony

« Reply #85 on: 28 Nov 2006, 12:33 am »
Paul, what was it that didn't float your boat about the LP12?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #86 on: 20 Nov 2008, 01:48 am »
I know this is topic is eons old, but worth updating with so many HW-19's out there...

My spindle was a bit canted to the side, not good for replay at all, so I asked VPI about replacements earlier this month.

They replied (they always reply, too - so great is their customer service) that for $100.00 (+$10.00 shipping) I was in for a treat as all the replacement spindle/bearings are now inverted (like the Scouts).  So it seems you need not spend $300 for a new spindle/bearing and platter now to derive the benefits of quieter play....$100.00 and use your own platter  :thumb:

Anyhow I got it yesterday and there was another surprise (for me, at least).  No oil.....it runs on white lithium grease.

I have not played the deck with it yet, merely installed it (a cinch) and I'm already impressed with how much smoother the platter seems to turn by eye (and less slop by feel).

So, I hope to set the old girl up in the next days and hear how it does  :guitar:

MY everyday is a direct drive today...but I'm completely agnostic to whatever drive mechanism it is.  I'm just looking to have more sonic thrills for my finite funds :)

John

fscl

« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:24 pm »
Yes, know this is an old topic, however, it seems to perfectly address my current experiences...... :thumb:

First, RIP, TCG...... :cry:

Now the real question, was the solution to the motor vibes just a bunch of plasticine packing, SAMA and / or new motor....... :o :o  No other solutions using the existing motor / setup ...... :dunno:

The rest of the pages speak to lubrication of the platter bearing...... :?

Fred