HT1-TL crossover point?

newzooreview

HT1-TL crossover point?
« on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:32 am »
Quick question: what is the crossover point on the HT1-TL with RAAL tweeter? I couldn't find it on the Salk site or here.

kip_

Re: HT1-TL crossover point?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm »
I don't think you're going to get an answer on this, considering you can buy the drivers off the shelf (unless it's the RAAL 70-20XR) and can build a cabinet of the same dimensions...

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:20 pm »
I don't think you're going to get an answer on this, considering you can buy the drivers off the shelf (unless it's the RAAL 70-20XR) and can build a cabinet of the same dimensions...

:scratch: I've owned a pair of HT1-TLs for a couple of years now (as my profile indicates). Even if I had the tools and skill, I'm not looking to try to build myself a pair.  :roll:

Mine have the LCY ribbon, and this is crossed over at 2200 Hz. I'm just curious about how much more of the high frequencies the RAAL covers, if any. I know it's a much faster tweeter, but I also wonder if takes any load off of the midrange/bass driver in comparison to the LCY.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:06 pm »
essentially, no.
objectively the #s will be similar.
Subjectively the sound will differ,
but only be degrees not orders of magnitude.

I recall comparing & contrasting 2 ways with that
SEAS mid-woofer. paired with  Northcreek, 1801, HT1, Seas Mill.. Selah's
tweeter choices & XO

Diminishing returns, preferences & navel gazing
ruled the day...it wasn't always nite-n-day. imho

I am probably odd man out here but the sonic signature
has more to do with the Midrange or mid-woofer choice.
obviously XO expertise, room & system come into play.
But comparing George Shorts SEAS design to his Scan Speak
designs using the some tweeters yielded the greatest change.

kip_

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:15 pm »
:scratch: I've owned a pair of HT1-TLs for a couple of years now (as my profile indicates). Even if I had the tools and skill, I'm not looking to try to build myself a pair.  :roll:

Mine have the LCY ribbon, and this is crossed over at 2200 Hz. I'm just curious about how much more of the high frequencies the RAAL covers, if any. I know it's a much faster tweeter, but I also wonder if takes any load off of the midrange/bass driver in comparison to the LCY.

It doesn't matter if YOU want to build a pair, Jim's competitors or DIY guys would essentially get the design for free if they knew the crossover points and slopes.

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:10 pm »
It doesn't matter if YOU want to build a pair, Jim's competitors or DIY guys would essentially get the design for free if they knew the crossover points and slopes.

Crossover frequencies for Jim's other speakers are in various places on this forum and reviews.

Dennis's crossover work on the HT2 is here.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92814.msg922925#msg922925

And here's his summary of crossover work on the RAAL:

The SoundScape is crossed a hair above 1800 Hz.  The RAAL is designed to operate that low, and in the nearly baffleless upper portion of the SS cabinet, there are no diffraction dips or peaks that make a cross that low difficult.  I can't cross quite that low in the speakers with conventional baffles and still maintain a linear response.  But so far (I've finished RAAL versions for the HT2 TL and Songtower RT), I've managed to cross justly slightly above 2k.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84330.msg818036#msg818036

And the HT1-TL, HT1, and 1801 have a 2400 Hz crossover point:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84330.msg817562#msg817562

I suspect that the RAAL version of the HT1-TL might crossover below 2000 Hz, moving the crossover point below the 2000-3500 HZ range that human hearing is most sensitive to.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2012, 07:57 pm »
Quick question: what is the crossover point on the HT1-TL with RAAL tweeter? I couldn't find it on the Salk site or here.

I had many technical questions about Salks before purchasing and exchanged many emails with both Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy (Dennis designs the crossovers).  Both never hesitated to provide the information I was requesting and more.  I learned alot from them.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Jim Salk with any questions you have about Salk speakers.  You will find him honest, upfront, and generous with his knowledge.