SAM vs. Alnico HO Monitor in small room.

roscoe65

SAM vs. Alnico HO Monitor in small room.
« on: 29 May 2017, 01:24 am »
I've been loving the excitement around the new HO monitors.  I'm curious about if they would be an improvement over the SAM in a small room (11' x 12').  From my understanding their primary area of improvement is bass reinforcement.  Would the increased bass be too much for this small room?  Would plugging the port offer an advantage?

I may have my SAM's updated to 1.5 status, if my room is too small for them to work it may actually be a downgrade.

Would using SAM's in a small room like this offer its own bass reinforcement?

nature boy

Re: SAM vs. Alnico HO Monitor in small room.
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2017, 01:56 pm »
I have a pair of SAHO XO floorstanders in a 13.5' x 15.5' listening room.  The bass on the speakers does not over power the room.  The dual driver configuration is MUCH better resolving complex music too.  Now that I've heard Louis's 1.5 dual driver set up with my Deware Mystery amp and CSP3 pre, there is no going back.  Thoroughly enjoyable set up!

NB
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2017, 12:37 am by nature boy »

guf

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:33 am »
I've been loving the excitement around the new HO monitors.

I may have my SAM's updated to 1.5 status, if my room is too small for them to work it may actually be a downgrade.
What do you mean updated?! That can be done?

jorgen

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2017, 07:36 pm »
I think what he meant was that he is considering upgrading to HO, not an upgraded version of HO. If I understand correctly he has a pair of SAMS on order.

My advice would be to upgrade

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2017, 08:09 pm »
I've been loving the excitement around the new HO monitors.  I'm curious about if they would be an improvement over the SAM in a small room (11' x 12').  From my understanding their primary area of improvement is bass reinforcement.  Would the increased bass be too much for this small room?  Would plugging the port offer an advantage?

Would using SAM's in a small room like this offer its own bass reinforcement?

Member MarkR7 just switched to HO Alnicos from SAMs.   I believe he is high-passing them and using a Gallo sub.  IIRC his room is a fair bit bigger than yours.

Maybe contact him via PM, or ask him to post impressions here for the benefit of all us crazies.     8)

guf

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2017, 08:45 pm »
I think what he meant was that he is considering upgrading to HO, not an upgraded version of HO. If I understand correctly he has a pair of SAMS on order.

My advice would be to upgrade

I see. That makes sense. Thanks!