NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?

Phil A

Re: NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2016, 03:47 pm »
Don't drool too much :lol:  Figured at its price point it may make a good candidate as the overall finished product won't be silly expensive.  Same with the Gustard DAC - it is $800.  I think that whatever is done it needs to be a current model as it will take time to develop the mod.  Then next year there will be a different model and then one is left with people who have the old model who want it modded.  Gives more of a life span to the mod.

modwright

« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2016, 04:01 pm »
The Marantz is a sexy player!  It is also compact and attractive.  The entire mod could be housed in an external box, along with the supply.  Other  mods would be done inside the Marantz also.

Emotiva preamp is an option: Is this unit high quality, reliable and is there interest?

Marantz new CDP is an option: CD only and would make for good CD spinner and Transport.

Cocktail Audio server is an option: Already discussed benefits.

Mytech MQA DAC is an option: I know they make good products, but how much interest in this product?

Thanks guys!

Dan

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2016, 07:10 pm »

modwright

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2016, 10:28 pm »
Looks real good as a starting point for mods!

Is there interest in a CD only transport or player?

Thank you all,

Dan

JackD

« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2016, 04:06 am »
I think the Marantz has more potential plus it looks better which is a plus along with the half width chassis.

The Rang

« Reply #45 on: 27 Aug 2016, 03:18 pm »
Would love to see something SACD capable but more affordable than the modded Oppo 105

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 27 Aug 2016, 05:06 pm »
Would love to see something SACD capable but more affordable than the modded Oppo 105

I believe Dan already tried mods to the BDP-103 and by the time one figures in the cost, one might as well buy an unmodded 105.  That's among the many reasons why just a hair under 5 years back I went into file playback (more or less kicking and screaming as I never thought I would do that).  I understand that for some physical media is preferred and some want CDs and some want more format capability than CD only.

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 27 Aug 2016, 05:08 pm »
For those wanting CD playback, I tried to come up with items that the cost of the unit was at a price point that with added mods it would both be worth it for the customer and the person doing the mods.

Nidri17

« Reply #48 on: 27 Aug 2016, 07:49 pm »
Dan - I'd suggest waiting a bit for newer models to become available using the latest ES9038PRO DACs, which is expected to be a significant improvement over the more common 9018. With that DAC and your experience in mods I believe you'd have the potential for a world class product.

Agreed. The $799 Oppo Sonica DAC, coming this Fall, uses that chipset and would be a good candidate imho.

Not much about it on the Net yet, but featured here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/35/

SlushPuppy

« Reply #49 on: 27 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm »

Mytech MQA DAC is an option: I know they make good products, but how much interest in this product?

Thanks guys!

Dan

Yes, I'm very interested in a mod for the Mytek Brooklyn (I own one). It has a good price point for modding (reasonably affordable) and is a great sounding unit right out of the box. I'd like to see what you could do to improve it - specifically the analog preamp section. The ability to switch tubes into the analog preamp section would be nice for some warmth - when needed. The only drawback is it's a compact unit, so there's not much room for a major overhaul.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2016, 01:14 am by SlushPuppy »

audio.bill

« Reply #50 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:03 am »
Agreed. The $799 Oppo Sonica DAC, coming this Fall, uses that chipset and would be a good candidate imho.

Not much about it on the Net yet, but featured here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/35/
If this unit comes out using the new ES9038PRO DAC as stated for $799 I expect it to be a runaway best seller and would be a superb choice for upgrade modifications! Thanks very much for pointing it out, I wasn't aware of it previously.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #51 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:12 am »
If this unit comes out using the new ES9038PRO DAC as stated for $799 I expect it to be a runaway best seller and would be a superb choice for upgrade modifications! Thanks very much for pointing it out, I wasn't aware of it previously.  :thumb:

+1 - was not aware of it.  Have been focused on their 4k Blu-Ray players and I'd much prefer just a 4k Blu-Ray only player (vs. one that is a jack of all trades - e.g. SACD, DVD-A) and an outboard DAC.  I have one room that is 4k ready and waiting to move the BDP-103D to another room.

modwright

« Reply #52 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:06 pm »
OK, the new Oppo DAC is at the top of my list and I am also looking at the Mytek DAC!

I am looking at both SS and tube options.  We are working on some discrete phono designs and from this is coming some interesting circuitry, including discrete op-amp circuits that could be used to make a FANTASTIC SS mod in addition to tube mods.

In the case of the Brooklyn, where space is at a premium, a possibility would be to build the entire mod stage in a separate enclosure that could sit directly on or over (next shelf) via short interconnects.

Again, I thank you for the feedback and welcome thoughts relative to the above.

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #53 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:32 pm »
I believe Dan already tried mods to the BDP-103 and by the time one figures in the cost, one might as well buy an unmodded 105.  That's among the many reasons why just a hair under 5 years back I went into file playback (more or less kicking and screaming as I never thought I would do that).  I understand that for some physical media is preferred and some want CDs and some want more format capability than CD only.

I am extremely happy with my modded 103 plus Elyse DAC. I had a Esoteric DV-60 and I kept the 103. The new Tidal app sounds awesome for streaming.

Phil A

« Reply #54 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:46 pm »
In case anyone has not seen the preview of the upcoming Oppo DAC:

The Rang

« Reply #55 on: 4 Sep 2016, 04:42 pm »

Interesting....thanks for the info.

Though I would think an MW modded 103 would sound better than an unmodded 105 which would be enough incentive for me to buy.
Like many I am considering an outboard DAC next time, but with my large SACD collection it needs to decode DSD via HDMI

Phil A

« Reply #56 on: 4 Sep 2016, 05:06 pm »
I have a couple of 103Ds (in addition to a 93, a Modwright 83 and a DV-980H). The one in the main system is for video only. I have a 4K TV in the system with the other 103D, along with a hard drive with music files and I can access my NAS with lots of music. Will be interesting to see what Oppo does for a 4K player. Would not mind just a video player with a separate DAC (I have separate DACs in the main system and another in a back-up system).

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #57 on: 4 Sep 2016, 05:11 pm »
In case anyone has not seen the preview of the upcoming Oppo DAC:

Phil,

Thank you for posting this. I get very excited by this sort of 'candy'. DAC technology is moving so quickly and major improvements in SQ are becoming ever more affordable.

How long till we see manufacturers offering dual 9038 DACs at reasonable prices? I get goose bumps thinking about the possibilities.

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 4 Sep 2016, 05:18 pm »
What I find really nice about the feature set of this upcoming Oppo DAC is the ability to play files without a separate player. It would be nice if it improved the bare bones functionality of the 90 and 100 series players. If one has lots of music files, the simple folder structure of the current players can be cumbersome.

talk2me

« Reply #59 on: 5 Sep 2016, 11:17 pm »
Interesting....thanks for the info.

Though I would think an MW modded 103 would sound better than an unmodded 105 which would be enough incentive for me to buy.
Like many I am considering an outboard DAC next time, but with my large SACD collection it needs to decode DSD via HDMI

Yes the modded 103 does sound better. It has upgraded linear power supply, dampening through-out and StreamLock module (with upgraded RCA output)