Starting from scratch for amplifier/preamp for Magnepan MG1.7i

miatadan

• Industry Participant
Recently sold my McIntosh C2300 preamp and MC302 power amplifier as I decided it was time for a change after 10 years. When using these pieces meters were at 30 to peaks of 300 watts when playing classic rock such as Pink Floyd.
I remember that Audio Research was common with Magnepan's in the past but not mentioned very much in last few years. Now Bryston seems to be the most popular match.

I do like the new Audio Research VT80 power amplifier but would the power from this be too low ( 75 watts per channel ) I am thinking quality and current capability just as important as how many watts per channel. Also always liked the McIntosh MC275 tube amplifier. Or are tube amplifiers no longer recommended for Magnepan?

Dan

restrav

Like your said Bryson is the tried and true choice for maggies

A_shah

Byrston , Odyssey(custom Built,) Pass Lab , Hegel 300, Parasound A21,   (gives you 400 watts per channel in 4 Ohms)  and the new to be announced  Schiit Vader amplifiers only $ 700. each would give you close to 400 Watts at 60 amp (high current) unfortunately they are not out as yet
As a full disclosure I ordered a Odyssey Kismet in Stratos stereo  with all the bells and whistles I am still waiting for it to come in ! Cheers !

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I still use tubes but it's older VTL gear.
Magnepan still pairs with Audio Research from time to time.
From what you're saying I think you'd want some monster monoblocks if you're going with tubes.

usp1

Look for McCormack amps. They pair very well with Maggies.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
When I bought my 3.6 Magnepans 7 years ago.. The Bryston was the top suggestion.
I listened to Bryston with Maggies at the dealer and was (and still am) fully satisfied.

For me, the one downside of the Bryston BP-26/4B-SST² combo is with CDs not much volume control use. Since it is blasting loud already by the 12 O'Clock position. With LP playback not nearly as much.
So the Bryston has more gain than is needed.

I have done some upgrading since with cables etc. and the Bryston amp clearly is still able to shine. With clarity, beauty and great sound.
I do plan to upgrade to the Bryston 4B³ soon enough.

Anyway one call for Bryston. ((and I have to say MAC gear just does not cut it anymore for top of the food chain sound quality, They are like twenty years behind IMO, and yes all you MAC lovers hate away.LOL.
If you want to chose some other brands... Top of the line JC (John Curl) Parasound or Pass.
ARC is still there if you want tubes.. And I would also toss in BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) for tubes.))
Also consider VAC equipment. Which can be had used too for some savings.
such as:http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/VAC/Signature-200-iQ/Power-Amplifier-LIKE-NEW/173179

MODS: If this link is a problem, feel free to cut it out.

miatadan

• Industry Participant
When I bought my 3.6 Magnepans 7 years ago.. The Bryston was the top suggestion.
I listened to Bryston with Maggies at the dealer and was (and still am) fully satisfied.

For me, the one downside of the Bryston BP-26/4B-SST² combo is with CDs not much volume control use. Since it is blasting loud already by the 12 O'Clock position. With LP playback not nearly as much.
So the Bryston has more gain than is needed.

I have done some upgrading since with cables etc. and the Bryston amp clearly is still able to shine. With clarity, beauty and great sound.
I do plan to upgrade to the Bryston 4B³ soon enough.

Anyway one call for Bryston. ((and I have to say MAC gear just does not cut it anymore for top of the food chain sound quality, They are like twenty years behind IMO, and yes all you MAC lovers hate away.LOL.
If you want to chose some other brands... Top of the line JC (John Curl) Parasound or Pass.
ARC is still there if you want tubes.. And I would also toss in BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) for tubes.))
Also consider VAC equipment. Which can be had used too for some savings.
such as:http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/VAC/Signature-200-iQ/Power-Amplifier-LIKE-NEW/173179

MODS: If this link is a problem, feel free to cut it out.

I thought the MAC gear worked well with the Martin Logan Spires but did not work well with my Magnepan MG1.7i . Most likely will get the Bryston 4B cubed in silver. I will miss the meters but at least the clip lights will let me know if I get carried away with volume.

Jimf42

I am very happy with my pair of Bryston 3B amps in biamp config with a Bryston 10B crossover

bummrush

I had mmg's yrs ago. And all i can add is use the absolute best pre amp you can get.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  To date I have used Audio Research DR 250, Bryston 4b, Plinius, Arion class "D" hybrid mono blocks with Maggies. All the above amps gave wonderful sonics. One component the preamp for me made more difference. When using a SS amp with the Maggies a tubed preamp was a requirement. That combo was heads and heels over all tubed.
  For budget consideration try Peachtree Audio amps. For a unlimited budget Arion HS500.

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

Amps to consider- Pass X250, 250.5, 250.8, BAT, AVA 600R, DVA 850 mono's and DVA 700, Parasound JC1 mono's, Bel Canto, MC 452 to name a few in addition to Bryston.  I use a Pass X250 with my 1.6's and a BAT VK-51se tube preamp.

Preamps- ARC LS27, Parasound JC-2, Conrad Johnson ET-3se, Atma-Sphere MP-3, BAT VK-32se, 52se, 33se, Pass XP10 and XP20.

miatadan

• Industry Participant
Update....
I ordered today the Bryston 4B cubed in silver 19" with handles ( like the old school look )
500 watts per channel into 4 ohms should work well )))
About 2-3 week waiting period.
Thanks for the advice ))))

cheers

Dan

limniscate

Re: Starting from scratch for amplifier/preamp for Magnepan MG1.7i
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:44 pm »
I use an ARC Ref5SE with Sanders Magtech on my 3.7i's and think it sounds pretty good.

johnto

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:07 pm »
I've been using a Parasound Halo 2.1 plenty of power amazing sound and great phono section.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2017, 02:07 pm »
I recently got an AVA DVA4/2 amp and it brought my 1.7s to another level of refinement.
Let us know how the 4B3 works out.

Minn Mark

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm »
I'm also a fan of AVA (Audio by Van Austin)  equipment with Maggies. I own 3.6Rs.  Heavenly sound on all types of music and media.

Check them out.   www.avahifi.com

Mark

johnto

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:24 am »
Looks like you already bought hope its working out great. For future readers I would suggest a Parasound 2.1 great integrated and a wonderful pairing with Maggie 1.7i speakers. I've been using this set up for a while and couldn't be happier.

jsm71

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:20 pm »
miatadan, if you're still taking input I also had a Mac preamp (C37) and amp (MC2270) when I first got my Maggie 1.7s.  I wanted to add a tube preamp and went with a Cary SLP89P.  That didn't mate real well with the Mac amp so I bought a Sanders Magtech altered to make the input impedance 100k.  That worked quite well, but in hindsight I wish I had bought the Cary SLP05 instead.

I don't have any of that gear any more, but the Magtech with Maggies is a super combination.  The preamp choice can be flexible, either tube or SS.

BTW, when I bought the Maggies initially my local store demoed them with Bryston gear.  That was too bright sounding for my taste.  The Mac gear was more easy on the ears, which they also carried at that time.  The Magtech seemed perfect, very neutral sounding, dead quiet, and ran much cooler than the Mac amp.  I missed the meters also, but you do get over that.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:23 pm »
Update....
I ordered today the Bryston 4B cubed in silver 19" with handles ( like the old school look )
500 watts per channel into 4 ohms should work well )))
About 2-3 week waiting period.
Thanks for the advice ))))

cheers

Dan

yes it will. Please try a tubed Pre with the Bryston unless you use a matching Bryston Preamp. ENJOY!!!!

charles