REVIEW: Hawthorne Audio OBsession 8 Reference Monitors

Early B.

One of the biggest “problems” with being an audiophile is that there’s always something better than what you currently own. We often convince ourselves that we’re totally satisfied with our systems and don’t plan any more upgrades, but this false sense of contentment is always betrayed by the next audio purchase. And it doesn’t help our cause when speaker and component designers are constantly innovating and improving the sound of their gear.

Earlier this year, I purchased the Hawthorne Audio OBsession Reference Monitors. You can read my review of the original OBsession here: 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134269.msg1425860#msg1425860

The components comprising my two-channel system and my listening preferences are listed in my profile.

The original MTM version of the OBsession is incredible, but something better came along – the OBsession 8 -- which consists of the same AMT tweeter with a single 8-inch driver. I was particularly intrigued by the OB8 due to its new design, higher sensitivity, and its input from Danny Richie who designed the crossover and asymmetrical wings. Of course, the crossover includes high quality parts such as Sonicaps and air core inductors. But when Darrel mentioned that he planned to create a cultured marble mold, that's when I decided to upgrade to the OB8. I wanted to be among the first to grab a pair. I believe the OB8’s will be priced at $2,500 - $3,000.

The OB8’s have a 98 db sensitivity and includes a “brilliance” adjustment on the back consisting of a precision resistor selector knob. The OB8’s are designed to be used with a subwoofer(s) that can play up to 150 – 200Hz. I’m using Danny’s DIY dual 12” stereo OB servo subwoofers for bass duty. And like all other open baffle speakers, you’ll need to place them a few feet from the back wall.

Fit & Finish
The baffle is comprised of cultured marble with a hint of ceramic, all of which contributes to the 32 pounds of each speaker. I worked with Darrel and Diana Hawthorne to choose the color I wanted for the baffle, and decided on a copper leaf, once again. Aesthetically, both my wife and I love the look of the OB8's over the original OBsession because the darker, smoother copper tone blends in better with the décor. It’s such a gorgeous speaker, and I’m sure we’ll get plenty of compliments from family and friends. I also like the outriggers. I think it’s a nice touch and adds to the appeal of these speakers. The wings are cool, too. At first, I had the large wings facing inward, but the sound opened up a lot with the wings on the outside. It's amazing how a minor change can result in a major improvement.

The Sound
I’m not gonna spend a lot of time attempting to describe the merits of the sound with fanciful terminology and over-hyped enthusiasm. Instead, I’ll keep it short and simple:  three words define the sound of these speakers – clean, true, and dynamic.

The OB8's are a lot cleaner than any speaker I’ve owned. Really clean. They sound like a good power conditioner is plugged into each of them. The purity of sound unveils more natural sounding vocals and micro-details. Quite frankly, it took me a day or two to get accustomed to the cleaner sound. Every other speaker I’ve owned sounded congested compared to the OB8’s. I suppose part of the reason is that the rear wave is free of coloration. If you stand behind the speakers, they sound just as good as if you’re in front of them. Not every open baffle speaker can convincingly pull off that trick.

The OB8’s are true to the recording. In fact, their greatest asset is the ability to get the instruments right. Likewise, the vocals are utterly amazing in their realism. This doesn’t happen across the board. Of course, some CDs sound better than others. Nevertheless, I believe what every audiophile is searching for is the truth in the recording. With these speakers, my search is over.

The dynamics are on another level! Over the years, my system gained a reputation among my local audiophile buddies of being laid back, and that’s the way I convinced myself that I liked it. In reality, my system has always lacked the dynamics I knew was lurking on my CDs. Since this is my first high sensitivity speaker, I don’t know if the killer dynamics are an attribute of 98 dB speakers, or if the crossover design or drivers are the major contributor, or a combination thereof. At any rate, the dynamics are astounding without being annoyingly tipped up in the highs. 

Initially, there was something a bit off about the presentation, so on the third day of critical listening, I towed them in slightly and everything locked into place. A huge smile engulfed my face, and that was the moment when I realized that I discovered the elusive sound I had been chasing for the past 15 years.

Conclusion
My wife is enjoying the OB8’s more than me, and that's NEVER happened! Let that sink in… In fact, she’s pleaded with me several times not to change the speakers again because she’s so enamored with the aesthetics and the sound.   

With every other speaker I’ve owned, I knew within the first couple of days that I’d eventually trade them out because I could hear the flaws in them. This is the first pair of speakers where I’ve truly said to myself that these can be my last pair of speakers. I have performed modifications on the last few speakers I’ve owned, but with these, I honestly cannot find any fault with them. No, they don’t have low bass, but they’re not designed to. Can they be better? Well, I’m sure you can upgrade some caps or something, but there’s no reason to do so.

The OB8’s have nearly all of the attributes many audiophiles would want in an open baffle monitor – a ridiculously good tweeter, incredible midrange, nice aesthetics, custom color options, cultured marble baffle, ability to adjust the treble, innovative design, and optimized crossover by Danny Richie. Just add bass and stir it up!

Without a doubt, the OB8’s are a better speaker than the original OBsession, and they should be. Since the OB8’s are the best speakers I’ve ever owned, I wholeheartedly recommend them. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: REVIEW: Hawthorne Audio OBsession 8 Reference Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2015, 04:45 pm »
Early B,

I'm sending you a special tracking device that will beep loudly whenever I'm within 100 miles of your home. The transmitter is imbedded in my arm, so I'll never lose it. PLEASE call me when it beeps. I'll hand my wife over to an outlet or similar shopping center, and drive over to your house asap.  8)

Michael

finsup

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2015, 08:21 pm »
Nice write up, Early B.  I have heard a fair number of speaker typologies in that price range but yet to hear an OB or a single full range speaker like an Omega.  Gotta find a way...

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2015, 09:15 pm »
Nice write up, Early B.  I have heard a fair number of speaker typologies in that price range but yet to hear an OB or a single full range speaker like an Omega.  Gotta find a way...

Interestingly, today I delivered my original pair of OBsession Reference Monitors to the new owner, and we compared them to his awesome floor standing speakers. But it was no contest. The OBsession sounds extraordinarily clean compared to a typical box speaker. Let's face it -- live music doesn't sound like it's coming out of a box. That's why I'm sold on open baffle designs.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2015, 09:16 pm »
Early B,

I'm sending you a special tracking device that will beep loudly whenever I'm within 100 miles of your home. The transmitter is imbedded in my arm, so I'll never lose it. PLEASE call me when it beeps. I'll hand my wife over to an outlet or similar shopping center, and drive over to your house asap.  8)

You're welcome to drop by. Bring your wife, as well, because she'll cost you too much money if you send her shopping.

finsup

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2015, 09:42 pm »
Interestingly, today I delivered my original pair of OBsession Reference Monitors to the new owner, and we compared them to his awesome floor standing speakers. But it was no contest. The OBsession sounds extraordinarily clean compared to a typical box speaker. Let's face it -- live music doesn't sound like it's coming out of a box. That's why I'm sold on open baffle designs.

I'm glad you linked to your original review; especially nice were the comments made by Darrel Hawthorne.

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2015, 05:13 pm »
I'm glad you linked to your original review; especially nice were the comments made by Darrel Hawthorne.

Hey finsup,
 Thank you very much. That was nice to read.
Once again we would like to thank EarlyB. for his continued support and for the thought and effort he put into writing this review.
 We are having a lot of fun with these new cast baffles.  I recently took a sample over to a local Auto Body shop to have them give us a quote.  This particular shop is a local legend in the show/custom car painting world and was my first choice when we got the idea to shoot these with automotive finishes.  I should have the sample back soon and will share pictures.  Very exciting times at Hawthorne Audio.   We have come up with a super exciting marketing plan that will offer a way for owners to get involved, make some serious money and help us realize some of our greater altruistic goals.  Check out our RCAP ™ system to lean more about our big picture vision.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5206

Special thanks to my buddy Danny for his help!

Cheers,
Darrel  :D

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2015, 06:06 pm »
 Hey Guys,

Just picked this up from the body shop!

We are now offering these in any automotive paint color.

Cheers,

drmike

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2015, 08:11 pm »
will these be available for diy?
thanks,
drmike

jseipp

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2015, 08:29 pm »
Darrel --

I don't wish to derail this thread about those gorgeous speakers, so I sent a pm regarding your Fellowship of Audio Artists concept, a wonderful vision I hope everyone here will take a look at. 

And those speakers... I'm sure the looks are only the beginning of "the gorgeous!"

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2015, 09:08 pm »
will these be available for diy?
thanks,
drmike

Hey DR.Mike,

Maybe.  We are really just getting these into full scale production.  We do sell the drivers ah la cart and  Danny may share his xo design if you bought the parts from him?  The baffles however are not going to be available to the DIY’s.  Those are reserved for the guys investing in the finished speakers.

Cheers,

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2015, 09:14 pm »
Darrel --

I don't wish to derail this thread about those gorgeous speakers, so I sent a pm regarding your Fellowship of Audio Artists concept, a wonderful vision I hope everyone here will take a look at. 

And those speakers... I'm sure the looks are only the beginning of "the gorgeous!"

I have received and responded to your PM regarding the Fellowship of Audio Artists non profit dream of ours.  You Sir, just made my day and I am very grateful for the letter of interest and especially for your kind words of support for the idea.  It’s bigger than any one Man or one company and holds the promise of positively impacting countless lives moving forward.

Thank you!

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2015, 09:22 pm »
Couple more proud papa pictures to share:

Rear view:

On stage:

We are working on a matching cast cultured marble dipole sub as well as a matching bipole sub.  Both self powered.
More info on our forum.

Cheers,

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2015, 09:38 pm »
Awesome!

R_burke

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:03 pm »

We are working on a matching cast cultured marble dipole sub as well as a matching bipole sub.  Both self powered.
More info on our forum.

Cheers,

I see the OB8 listed on your site, and the specs include a reference to the optional sub stand, but I can't find it on your site...?

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:35 pm »
I see the OB8 listed on your site, and the specs include a reference to the optional sub stand, but I can't find it on your site...?

Here is the forum thread where we discuss the progress on the optional sub/stand as well as progress on our new cast stackable modules:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5209

I built a couple versions of the Bipole sub and think they are a great augmentation solution for those folks unable to run the dipole subs.
If interested write me direct and we can explore these options in detail.
hawthorneaudio@aol.com

Thanks,

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2016, 04:14 pm »
Hey Guys,

Just picked this up from the body shop!

We are now offering these in any automotive paint color.

Cheers,

That looks great!!   :thumb: :thumb:

What is the cost to go with an automotive finish?

Also, how low does the monitor play? 

Just trying to get an idea what subs could work.

Thanks,

George

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2016, 04:23 pm »
That looks great!!   :thumb: :thumb:

What is the cost to go with an automotive finish?

Also, how low does the monitor play? 

Just trying to get an idea what subs could work.

Thanks,

George

Hey George,
Thank you very much.
The paint is included in the basic price. If one wanted something special such as pearl, metal flake, real Copper or Gold gilding, flames etc. that of course would cost a bit more.  Tom has ~2600 paint colors to select from.  It’s a two part catalyzed paint system with a primer, base and clear top coat.

The Monitors start their low end roll off around 150Hz. They drop off slowly from there with usable output below 100Hz.  Most any of the common augmentation options will have no trouble reaching up to these.

Cheers,

DHawthorne

• Industry Participant
    • HawthorneAudio
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2016, 04:51 pm »
Here is an additional owner feedback thread.

Some quality time with the OBsessions

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5227

Cheers,