Recommend a Dash Cam

HsvHeelFan

Recommend a Dash Cam
« on: 6 Feb 2017, 07:20 am »
All,

I'm looking for thoughts, reviews and recommendations on Dash Cams.  If you have one and like,  please let me know.

If you have one and don't like it, please let me know that as well.

I'm getting a new ride and due to how my last ride was totaled,  this one will have a dash cam.

HsvHeelFan

Rocket

Re: Recommend a Dash Cam
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2017, 10:27 am »
Hi,

I'm using Blackvue DR650S-2CH Dash Cam Wifi-GPS Dual Channel for over a year.  Recently, it has become a bit unreliable and doesn't always come on automatically.  I have to remove the power cord and then replace it to work again.  My daughter has one and has similar problems.  Just out of warranty as well.

Sorry I can't recommend this product.

Cheers Rod

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm »
I've got 2 Garmins, model is no longer produced - they're both over 2 years old and always on while the cars are in use.  Not the cheapest, but they are robust, reliable and still going strong.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2017, 01:11 pm »
Watching with interest, I've been thinking about getting one.
I've also thought about a second unit aiming out the back window.

chip

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:45 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:50 pm »
For my own info - people install these to record footage in the event of a crash?

Cops hassle you for running them front and back?

I know guys that I used to ride with would put them on helmets, but that was more frequently for YouTube exploits than safety!

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:15 am »
Cops don't like them?

I've been thinking about one, and probably will if I get a new car.

Do they just overwrite old storage periodically, and it's up to you to take it inside and download video you need to computer? And some do it over WiFi? (painfully slow I'm sure)

Do they turn on when the car turns on? and off?

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:10 am »
Cops don't like them?

I've been thinking about one, and probably will if I get a new car.

Do they just overwrite old storage periodically, and it's up to you to take it inside and download video you need to computer? And some do it over WiFi? (painfully slow I'm sure)

Do they turn on when the car turns on? and off?

The way Garmin works is they have an internal battery and connected to the 12v power source, mine start up when I turn on the ignition and shutoff 30 secs when the ignitions turned off.  They continually overwrite files indefinitely, there's an accelerometer inside that saves the current file if you have a sudden deceleration (this can be adjusted).  I have one mounted in my car, had too many bad driver incidents, and my youngest sons car - he's only had a license for 4 months so need to let his understand his driving's open to spot inspection  :D  I assume all other brands operate similarly.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:01 am »
I would want enough recorded that I could make a Youtube video if the reason arose. Like if I was ever driving in Russia...

Do it overwrite things that are like X amount of time old, is that how it works?

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:46 am »
If you want to preserve a recording you can save a sector by hitting a button and it won't overwrite it when you're in overwrite mode.  You can also set the menu to not overwrite anything, downloading the files and watching them wears off quickly.  I found it improved my driving, didn't want my bad habits to be preserved on video...

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:53 am »
I'm in the same camp as BSTL, thinking and looking but have yet to pull the trigger.

HsvHeelFan,
Getting hit hard enough to total the car is scary, hope you and any passengers were not hurt!

Philistine

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2017, 03:38 pm »
How bad are those "As Seen On TV" ones selling at Walmart?