Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #180 on: 24 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
Neo, I'm a little confused. I thought Raul was raving about that stylus. This was, of course, before my self-imposed exile.
Don

Hi Don GRB,
In the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut, "Welcome to the monkey house".

The fake PCN550ML?  No, Raul said from the get-go he didn't like it as much as the PCN440 that came with his cart.  He said that he would try it again and wasn't sure about returning it.  I think that's the last we heard.

The photos on Asylum prove it's not beryllium.  Look at the end of the cantilever and it's obviously aluminum and straight alum at that.  It might be hard to tell on those photos, but I have one and it's definitely bonded.  I don't have enough magnification to tell the cut of the diamond, but it looks to be of near identical construction as a AT bottom of the line stylus.  The only difference I see the top side of the cantilever opposite the tip is sealed with some kind of black stuff. 

Someone on Agon won a  PC550 on fleabey.  The plastic is dark blue (not light blue) and apparently it's real.  We haven't heard much else about it.

Another audiofool rip off.  LpGear claims they bought the batch from a reputable source and sold it in good faith.  Bullshit.  Even if the source was not reputable, styli is their business and they didn't even look at it?   They not only resold the bogus styli, they sold it for $200 a pop.

The audio biz, especially high end, has always been rife with fraud, rip offs and false claims.  Back in the day subjective reviewers were bribed to give glowing reviews.  This is fact, not an opinion.  If the manufacturer makes a gift of the review sample it seems like a good incentive.  If money changed hands it certainly wouldn't be reported.  Now that objective magazines like Audio are gone, it's subjective reviews that make or break.  Sad.

Look at CA charging $600 for an cheap AT replacement stylus (Virtuoso).  The stock Virtuoso stylus is a straight alum cantilever w/bonded elliptical.  They act like it's a MC stylus and charge accordingly.  LpGear is small potatoes compared to CA.  They've always been an overpriced company. 
neo

griffithds

« Reply #181 on: 24 May 2013, 02:23 pm »
Hi Dlaloum and Neobop,

My arm is the Graham 2.2.  Fully and easily  adjustable (left/right, up/down), so  the shorter length cantilever is something to consider from Peter.  I have always preferred the 152 over the 155 only because of the removable stylus guard that is on the 152. Yes, I could also remove the guard on the 155 during play but I like to store my cartridges with guard on and replacing the 155 guard every time could become a disaster.  Neobop, I also have a 152 MLP with body.  I bought from a dealer on eBay as NOS.  One slight problem though.  Even though it all came packaged up correctly (AT packaging), the stylus does not have the AT insignia. The cantilever is very small in diameter and tapered, but without the insignia, well, I'm thinking perhaps a Jico. Anyone ever see a AT stylus without the AT insignia?  Stop laughing you guys!

Regards,
Don

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #182 on: 24 May 2013, 03:32 pm »
Griff,
I've blocked my memory of the 152MLP.  I think the plastic was dk brown, like a 160ML and the beryllium cantilever was thin and straight, I think. 
Not having the logo is a bad sign, but I honestly don't remember.
http://www.stereoneedles.com/audio-technica.html

Easy enough to check with your 60X scope.  Look at the end of the cantilever to see if it's aluminum or beryllium.  Aluminum will be folded over like in the photos on Asylum.  That's enough magnification to see if it's bonded or what it should be - a square shank nudie.

The 152LC and ML are interesting carts - P-mounts with universal adaptors.  Specs are identical to the orig 440ML with 5mV output.  That means you already have the stronger magnets if one of these is real.  Maybe that's why I liked it so much, never realized that before. 
I assume from your post that the 152LC is beryllium - wasn't positive about that.

If your thinking of transplant it might be tough.  Timeltel went from a 100 series (155LC) to a round plug.  This is a 100 series to a 3400 series.  That's how I broke the 152ML, but maybe I just blew it.  Good luck if you're trying that.

Let us know what you come up with.
neo

Edit: I forgot to mention, there might be a difference between Soundsmith stylus angle relative to the cantilever, and an AT.  Even if there isn't, changing the length of the cantilever could mean that you would have little or no leeway to adjust SRA/VTA.  It could even mean that couldn't achieve optimal arm height.  I would strongly advise not doing this without discussing it first, although if you request it, you'd probably get a call from Peter.

griffithds

« Reply #183 on: 25 May 2013, 12:03 am »
Hi Neobop,

I will check the cantilever end when I get home.  I'm currently on a camping trip up at the lake.  Payette lake in McCall Idaho. My known AT152LP is beryllium.  I bought it from the site you posted (stereoneedles.com).  I did not know that the 152 had the same output as the 440ML!  Learn something everyday. Thanks.

Regards,
Don

trackball02

« Reply #184 on: 27 May 2013, 12:21 am »
I have a Clearaudio Aurum Beta (not the S model), with a broken cantilever, and would like to replace with an equivalent AT95 stylus. Can anyone give me a link for the best replacement?

Also, it seems that the replacement will snap in without timing the outer plastic, correct? Is there a definite improvement in trimming (other than cosmetic)?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #185 on: 27 May 2013, 01:58 am »
Hi Trackball,
I think the best ready made replacement is the Vivid line.  I've had the shibata and the hyper elliptical - they're okay, the shibata is a little better of those two, but maybe a little too sweet.  Griff says the vivid line is faster and clearer sounding than any of them.  That's the one I would buy.  If you want to save a little money and still get original performance, the SE model is a .3 x .7 elliptical.  That's a little sharper than the 95E needle and I believe the same as the CA.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95VL.html

I think the whole plastic assembly will fit, but I never tried it.  I'm not sure if the gold front piece will get in the way.  Consensus is that it sounds better without it, but I'm not sure of that either.  I know it will look a whole lot better - like the original.  You just have to be careful not to snip or bang into the cantilever.  I use a wire cutter - hold onto one side and carefully snip the other.  Then hold on to the plug when you snip the other side. You don't want it to go flying. You have to cut behind the plug, but by that time the sides are gone and it's easy.  Put the flat side of the cutter up against the plug and you wind up with a small lip just like the CA plug.
I think I made it sound harder than it is. LOL it's really not that hard. You just have to be careful.
neo

trackball02

« Reply #186 on: 27 May 2013, 04:27 am »
neo, You are an incredible wealth of information! Thanks.
I'll order the stylus from LPgear, and will let you know how it goes.
The recommended Clearaudio VTF is 2.2 grams. Will it change with the new replacement?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #187 on: 27 May 2013, 10:51 am »
Trackball,
Thanks for the kind words. 
The stylus is made as a 95 replacement stylus, which happens to be identical compliance and manufacture as the CA.  Recommended VTF is something like 1.75 to 2.5g, so use it where it sounds/tracks best.   Compliance is 6.5cu @100Hz = 15cu @10Hz (standard).

I don't know if you've been following this thread, it's rather long.  But ALL the CA MM have the same generator.  The only difference between your Aurum Beta and a Virtuoso is the tolerances.  The electrical specs are identical but the difference between channels is more closely matched.  The Maestro is the same too, but with a top AT boron/ML stylus and more body wood.  IMO this is one of the best motors AT ever made. 
neo

raysracing

« Reply #188 on: 29 May 2013, 12:44 am »
Does anyone know if the Sonus Gold/ Blue cartridges also take these AT replacement cartridges? My Sonus needs a new stylus. Sorry if OT.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #189 on: 29 May 2013, 04:14 am »
Does anyone know if the Sonus Gold/ Blue cartridges also take these AT replacement cartridges? My Sonus needs a new stylus. Sorry if OT.

Hi Ray, no problem

I don't think so.  Not an easy stylus to find.  Try one of these.
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Bronze_p_4087.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Silver-Plate-P-needle_p_3922.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Dimension-5_p_4118.html
neo

raysracing

« Reply #190 on: 29 May 2013, 01:16 pm »
Hi Ray, no problem

I don't think so.  Not an easy stylus to find.  Try one of these.
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Bronze_p_4087.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Silver-Plate-P-needle_p_3922.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Sonus-Dimension-5_p_4118.html
neo
Thanks. I installed it on my Technics and was greatly disappointed. It appears it is well and truly worn out. At $169 I think I will wait and maybe someday I'll get a Black Widow arm to maximize it.  The suspension for the cantilever is in the replaceable section correct?

Found this, but worried about the rubber durability sitting unsued for so long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonus-GOLD-BLUE-Audiophile-Cartridge-NEW-FREE-WW-SHIPPING-/221233594842?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item33828cc1da

griffithds

« Reply #191 on: 29 May 2013, 03:56 pm »
Hello raysracing,

Most cartridges, if stored properly, will not be affected by time.  It would appear that the one you listed has been stored correctly.  I don't know nor do I want to know your finances, but that is a great cartridge and one worth spending the money to have a re tipper rebuild if that is what was required.  I sent a M/C cartridge (Blue Oasis by Saul Winn  of Winn strain gauge fame),  to a re tipper and for $60, he rebuilt/replace the suspension.  That purchase price and if required, $60 for rebuild, would give you a brand new Sonus.  To me, that would be a no brainer!

Regards,
Don

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #192 on: 29 May 2013, 04:39 pm »
Thanks. I installed it on my Technics and was greatly disappointed. It appears it is well and truly worn out. At $169 I think I will wait and maybe someday I'll get a Black Widow arm to maximize it.  The suspension for the cantilever is in the replaceable section correct?

Found this, but worried about the rubber durability sitting unsued for so long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonus-GOLD-BLUE-Audiophile-Cartridge-NEW-FREE-WW-SHIPPING-/221233594842?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item33828cc1da

The fleabey item makes no sense to me.  You already have this cart and for $10 less than a bran new stylus, the one on fleabey looks used, not NOS.  Zoom in on the pins in photo #2. 

Yes most of the suspension is in the replaceable part, but I don't know the rest of the internal design.  Did the suspension bottom out or did it just sound bad? 

All that said, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on the fleabey cart myself.  I want to downsize, but having a hard time doing it. LOL
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #193 on: 29 May 2013, 09:56 pm »
I looked at that Sonus again on fleabey.  Interesting ad, apparently this guy sold a lot of these carts from Sweden no less.
Wonder if those marks on the pin could be from testing or dirt?  They say gold doesn't tarnish but you get wear marks from use.

Anyway, the interesting thing about the ad, is future sales of the SPM (P-mount) models which he claims are superior.  I don't believe this guy on face value.  He says the Gold-Blue is TOTL and no mention of the Dimension 5 and what about those pin marks?.   I wonder if he's just trying to goose up those future sales or they really are better.
neo

raysracing

« Reply #194 on: 30 May 2013, 01:45 am »
The Sonus strangely enough does not elicit many memories for me considering I am the original owner and probably played hundreds and more on it over the years. But for certain now it is quiet and veiled. It sounds like it is muffled or more like distant in sound. It also has sibilance and other non nice things. 

Thanks for the info on the old/new stock. Good to know if I do find a NOS Sonus someday (or buy a NOS Stylus) it will last me for awhile or not be defective before I install it.

Ray

trackball02

« Reply #195 on: 31 May 2013, 03:48 am »
neobop, just a follow up. I received the VIVID stylus from LP Gear. It was not that difficult to cut of the wings with a small diagonal wire cutters. Just took a steady hand and magnifying glasses.Once trimmed, it just dropped right in as a perfect fit. I'm running at 2.0 grams on my Dual 1019. I'm not sure if it is the best match for the Dual tonearm, but it really sounds great. Nothing like the sound of a fresh stylus! Thanks.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #196 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:13 pm »
Trackball,
Glad it's working out.  The lowest mass Dual arm is 8.5g eff mass (I think).  Even if that's the one you have, it shouldn't be a problem.  Cu of the replacement stylus should be 15.  You're prob resonating at 11Hz - no problem.  The cart/stylus should also work out well on higher mass arms.

The part that fits into the body of the cart and holds the cantilever, that squarish part, we call the plug.  On the top of the plug there is either a painted over screw, or a fitting like on the CA plug.  Does your vivid line plug have the screw?
neo

trackball02

« Reply #197 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:53 am »
neo, As I recall, there was a recessed screw that was painted over. I really did not pay attention to it. What is it for? Can you tell me more about the VIVID stylus. What is its shape? Hypereliptical?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #198 on: 2 Jun 2013, 07:35 am »
The cantilever bends near the magnets at the rubber damper.  It goes into a sleeve in the body of the plug which is held in place by the screw, called the compliance screw.  AT styli all seem to have this screw except the 3400 series (AT95, CA, and others).   The AT 3400 styli have a fitting.  We use the screw to transplant a stylus from one series plug into another.  The ones with the fittings are almost impossible to work. 
All the aftermarket styli have this screw, but there was some concern that some of them were starting to use fittings.  The styli manufacturers might get the plastic part from one source so there was concern about suitable transplant plug availability.  BTW, the CA styli have the fitting.

I don't have a vivid line, but it's described as a line contact or fine line type.  The shibata and hyper elliptical, and probably the SE (.3 x .7)  are manufactured by Jico.  LpGear says the Vivid is from another unnamed source.  They seem to be the only ones with this stylus.
neo

trackball02

« Reply #199 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:46 pm »
Thanks for the info about the Vivid stylus, I found this link about the different stylus shapes:
http://www.sowka.pl/szlif/
Interesting read.

So far, the new stylus is very clear and fast. My set up includes a 3 foot bluejeans cable (12.2 pf/ft) between the Dual and a Nova Phonomena phono preamp set at the lowest capacitance 200 pf. The recommended capacitance is for this cartridge is 100 pf.  Is there an audible difference when running at a higher capacitance?