Sonore Rendu - an audiophile network audio player

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Sonore Rendu - an audiophile network audio player
« on: 27 Jul 2013, 12:14 pm »
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The Sonore Rendu is an audiophile network audio player with Ethernet input and SPDIF or SPDIF/i2s output. The Rendu is intended to operate in combination with a DLNA server running on your PC, Mac or NAS. You then control the Rendu from your hand held mobile device application.

What makes the Rendu different from a computer music servers is that it's a purpose built audiophile device. The problem with computer music servers is that they all rely on mass-produced motherboards designed for general purpose computing and are built to the lowest possible price point. The Rendu solves this problem by removing the consumer grade computer peripherals and switching mode power supply from the equation. The Rendu's main board has been specifically built for processing audio signals perfectly. The Rendu is powered by an audiophile-grade linear power supply with a high-quality ultra low noise regulator. The Rendu also operates asynchronously using onboard fixed frequency low jitter clocks to achieve the lowest possible jitter. 

STANDARD FEATURES

Supports Tidal lossless streaming via BubbleUPNP controller on an Android device.
Supports gapless playback from your computer, Android device and iOS device
Supports DSD/DoP pass thru from the SPDIF output. A server that supports DSD/DoP is required
Powered by an extremely low noise, low output impedance linear power supply
Isolation from server noise on the network
Asynchronous operation
Features a transformer coupled true 75-ohm SPDIF BNC output
Integrated, 32-bit, high precision volume control
Supports up to 24-bit PCM playback at sample rates up to 192KHz via SPDIF
Supports AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, and WAV files from HTTP streams
Controlled via apps on a computer, Android, and iOS device
UPnPTM AV 2.0 / DLNA compliant
Supported on four vibration absorption footers

HDMI i2s OUTPUT (OPTIONAL)

Supports 24-bit PCM playback at sample rates up to 192KHz
Supports native DSD playback up to DSD128
LVDS driver has an order of magnitude lower jitter than the other drivers
Voltage regulator for the LVDS driver is low noise, high bandwidth, and high PSRR
Powered from a second low noise linear power supply
Gold plated exposed copper on printed circuit boards
Impedance control on the digital output module
Gold plated exposed copper on printed circuit boards
Impedance control on the digital output module
Stripline design with traces buried in the inner layers of the board to give the best signal integrity and EMI protection

LVDS i2s COMPATIBILITY
PS Audio - PerfectWave DAC MKI/MKII
PS Audio - DirectStream DAC
Rockna - Wavequest (pending verification)
Sonore - Signature Series DAC
K&K Audio - RAKK DAC
Wadia - Intuition (pending verification)
Wtred4Sound - DAC-2/DAC-2 DSDse

CONTROLLERS and SERVERS
Controllers for gapless playback
J River with/without J Remote, Audionet, Bubble UPNP, Foobar2000 with UPNP/DLNA plug-in

PCM servers
Diskstation, J River, MinimServer, Logitech Media Server (LMS), Mini DLNA, Assest, Twonky, eLyric Music Manager (EMM)

PCM + DSD/DoP servers
MinimServer running, J-River, Foobar2000 with SACD plug-in

SPECIFICATIONS
Dimension: 7.25in (width) x 2.75in (height) x 11in (depth)
Weight: ~2lb
Power input: 120VAC, 60Hz

OPTIONS
Power input: 220 VAC *this unit is not CE rated*

MODELS
Sonore Rendu SPDIF - SPDIF BNC output
Sonore Rendu SPDIF/i2s - SPDIF BNC and HDMI i2s output

AVAILABILITY
Discontinued
https://sonore.us
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2019, 11:03 pm by vortecjr »

gocubs42

Re: Sonore Rendu - an audiophile network audio player...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:32 pm »
Jesus, I'm a little thick in the head. The rendu will output gapless via USB using a Mac/JRiver DLNA and JRemote as the controller. Also another scenario gapless output on the Rendu/USB using Mac /LMS and IPeng as the controller. Both scenario's nativeX PWD.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2013, 06:08 pm »
Jesus, I'm a little thick in the head. The rendu will output gapless via USB using a Mac/JRiver DLNA and JRemote as the controller. Also another scenario gapless output on the Rendu/USB using Mac /LMS and IPeng as the controller. Both scenario's nativeX PWD.

gocubs42, the Sonore Rendu does not have USB output. From the available outputs Mac/JRiver DLNA and JRemote as the controller is gapless. You can't use iPeng as the controller with the Sonore Rendu (it works with the Sonore Sonic Orbiter) because the APP is not a DLNA controller. The Sonore Rendu needs an official DLNA controller and the ones I have tested are listed above. Our i2s output is compliant with the PS Audio HDMI LVDS i2s output. I can only test Native mode and it works at all sample rates. Native X mode should also work, but it needs to be tested.     

Jesus R

gocubs42

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2013, 06:41 pm »
Sorry Jesus, I thought I was looking at the Orbiter.....My questions was in reference to the Orbiter again sorry

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2013, 06:53 pm »
Sorry Jesus, I thought I was looking at the Orbiter.....My questions was in reference to the Orbiter again sorry

gocubs42, no problem. They each have a prescription for use so you have to look at the "Recommended Controllers and Servers"

Jesus R

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2013, 10:29 pm »

Team, I get a lot of emails and posts asking about the compatibility of the Rendu.i2s and the PWD MKII. I have been looking for someone to test this combination to qualify that the combination works as intended. I just setup a customer's system based on J River as the DLNA server/controller via remote support. He is using the Sonore Rendu.i2s in combination with his PS Audio PWD MKII interconnected via HDMI cable. The customer is reporting gapless playback and all sample rates are working properly without dropouts. He has conducted his tests with the various modes including Native X.

Jesus R

gocubs42

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:55 pm »
Jesus, this is wonderful news and congrats on the successful testing with NativeX. Couple of comments I see you have updated the Sonore/Rendu information on the website now showing LMS as an option to JRiver. I take it the controller would be IPeng for LMS on the Rendu. Now that NativeX has been tested, which would you pick the Rendu or the Orbiter for Sound Quality with the PWD...You have really given folks some very good options for computer Audio delivery...thanks

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2013, 04:53 pm »
Jesus, this is wonderful news and congrats on the successful testing with NativeX. Couple of comments I see you have updated the Sonore/Rendu information on the website now showing LMS as an option to JRiver. I take it the controller would be IPeng for LMS on the Rendu. Now that NativeX has been tested, which would you pick the Rendu or the Orbiter for Sound Quality with the PWD...You have really given folks some very good options for computer Audio delivery...thanks

gocubs42, thanks:) I have to fix the info on the website because it's not clear. You can use J River or LMS as the server. You have to use J River for gapless. iPeng will not control the Rendu, but will control the Sonic Orbiter.

I use i2s in my system, but I can't discount USB and may change to it soon for something new I'm working on. I would look at the features and the cost...

Jesus R

gocubs42

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2013, 05:24 pm »
Jesus thanks for the update, come on give us some help with what your working on

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2013, 07:17 pm »
Jesus thanks for the update, come on give us some help with what your working on

It's not related to this. It has to do with DSD...

Jesus R

koyie

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:38 am »
I have a high-end headphone-only system at work.  I am not allowed to connect outside devices to the company's network, so my system can not be connected to the Internet.  What would be the best way for me to setup a Rendu?  I was thinking I could get a Belkin Share N300 Wireless N+ Router and put the TomatoUSB firmware (which supports DLNA) on it to set up a local wi-fi.  I would connect an external hard drive to the Belkin via USB cable and connect the Belkin to the Rendu via an ethernet cable.  I would control the system with an Android phone or an iPad.  Would this work?  I would really like DoP and gapless playback, but they aren't deal breakers for me.  If there is an easier way to set this up, please let me know.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7D7302
http://tomatousb.org/

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2013, 10:33 pm »
I have a high-end headphone-only system at work.  I am not allowed to connect outside devices to the company's network, so my system can not be connected to the Internet.  What would be the best way for me to setup a Rendu?  I was thinking I could get a Belkin Share N300 Wireless N+ Router and put the TomatoUSB firmware (which supports DLNA) on it to set up a local wi-fi.  I would connect an external hard drive to the Belkin via USB cable and connect the Belkin to the Rendu via an ethernet cable.  I would control the system with an Android phone or an iPad.  Would this work?  I would really like DoP and gapless playback, but they aren't deal breakers for me.  If there is an easier way to set this up, please let me know.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7D7302
http://tomatousb.org/

koyie, sorry I'm still learning the system here:) Is the computer a Mac or PC and what do you want to use to control it?

Jesus R

koyie

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:29 am »
I wouldn't have a computer in the system at work, just an external hard drive connected to a Belkin router running tomatoUSB firmware (which is DLNA compliant) via usb cable, which is connected to the Rendu via an ethernet cable.  I would control the system with an Android phone or iPad.  When I want to add music files to the hard drive, I would take it home for the night and connect it to my PC or Mac.  I have never set up wi-fi without Internet access before.  Would this setup work?  Is there an easier way to do it?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2013, 01:24 am »
I wouldn't have a computer in the system at work, just an external hard drive connected to a Belkin router running tomatoUSB firmware (which is DLNA compliant) via usb cable, which is connected to the Rendu via an ethernet cable.  I would control the system with an Android phone or iPad.  When I want to add music files to the hard drive, I would take it home for the night and connect it to my PC or Mac.  I have never set up wi-fi without Internet access before.  Would this setup work?  Is there an easier way to do it?

I think it would work because tomatoUSB has a DLNA server. You would need to configure things at home with a computer and then transfer the setup to work. I'm not sure what help I'll be in the process though. Another option is a Western Digital MyBookLive Ethernet drive into a standard router because it has a Twonky server...

Jesus R   

koyie

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2013, 08:10 pm »
Now that I've had the Sonore Rendu in my system for a while, I wanted to give a report.
But first, I want to thank Jesus for his incredible customer service.  We must have sent a dozen emails back and forth, and he gave very complete answers to my many questions.  It is such a rare opportunity these days to be able to interact with the designer/creator of something that you buy.
So here is my setup:
Western Digital WD Elements 1TB HDD connected via a USB 3.0 cable to a Belkin N300 wireless router.
The router's firmware was replaced by tomatoUSB, which turns the router into a DLNA Music Server.
Since the system has no access to the Internet, I created a private wireless network on the router.
The music server (router) is controled via PlugPlayer on an iPad.
The router connects to the Sonore Rendu via a generic CAT6 cable.
The power cable for the Rendu is a Blank Sand Cable Violet Z1 MkII.
The Rendu connects to a Chord QuteHD DAC via Audioquest VDM-5 BNC digital cable.
The DAC connects to a Burson Soloist headphone amplifier via Audioquest King Cobra RCA analog cables.
The power cable for the Soloist is a Blank Sand Cable Violet Z1 MkII.
The Soloist connects to a pair of JH Audio JH16 Pro FreqPhase In Ear Monitors via a custom, solid OCC silver headphone cable. 

The sound quality of the Rendu is really striking.  In my opinion, the ideal system makes me believe that I am there at the concert hall or recording studio.
The Rendu brought my system much closer to this goal.  Instuments sound more like they do when you hear them in person.  In particular, the sound of cymbals was quite unrealistic when driven by my previous source (PC running JRiver).  But on the Rendu, cymbals are startlingly realistic. 
The soundstage produced by the Rendu is both very precise and also very large.  The soundstage extends way past my ears, which I didn't even know was possible with In Ear Monitors before.  With my PC source, instruments tended to sound like they were on top of each other, but the Rendu gives all the  instruments unique points of origin.  The soundstage is also now very 3D.
The resolution is also excellent.  I love complex pieces, and with the Rendu, I am constantly amazed at how I now hear things in the background that I have never heard before.
Dynamics are first rate.  Bass is very tight and controlled, yet very deep.  Voices sound incredibly realistic.
Overall, I am extremely happy with the purchase and think that the Rendu is an incredible value.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm »
Announcement: The Sonore Rendu now has gapless support with iOS devices used as controller.

Jesus R

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2014, 11:46 am »
Internet radio on the rendu is possible with MinimServer and MinimStreamer. Download the file below and drop it in your music directory and restart MinimServer. Then go to your controller and look for Playlists, select Linn, and then select the stream (classic, radio, jazz) you want to connect to. You can also import the playlist into JRiver.

www.sonore.us/Linn.m3u
www.sonore.us/Local.m3u

Jesus R
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2014, 08:59 pm by vortecjr »

mr_bill

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2014, 03:06 pm »
Nice Jesus!

Clio09

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:18 pm »
Thanks for the link Jesus. I use MinimServer and MinimStreamer with PlugPlayer as control point and Resolution Audio Cantata as renderer. MinimServer is loaded on Synology NAS and I have MinimWatch loaded on a computer. Did as instructed and can see the file in folder view with the streams on PlugPlayer. However they do not play. I now realize something has to be configured in MinimStreamer but the instructions to do so as explained on the MinimServer site are confusing. Would you have any advice on configuration.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2014, 01:25 am »
Thanks for the link Jesus. I use MinimServer and MinimStreamer with PlugPlayer as control point and Resolution Audio Cantata as renderer. MinimServer is loaded on Synology NAS and I have MinimWatch loaded on a computer. Did as instructed and can see the file in folder view with the streams on PlugPlayer. However they do not play. I now realize something has to be configured in MinimStreamer but the instructions to do so as explained on the MinimServer site are confusing. Would you have any advice on configuration.

I don't have that unit to help you sort it out. I'll retest things on my Rendu and report back..

Jesus R