Figuring out fabric sizes needed for panels

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Figuring out fabric sizes needed for panels
« on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:45 pm »
Hey guys. Sorry for posting such a simple question, but I'm planning a sound panel build for my bands practice area. How do I figure out how much Guilford's of Maine that I'll need? I'm making 4 corner traps going up to the ceiling and at least 6 - 24" x 48" x 5.5" thick panels for the walls. I'm using Rockwool, and the corner traps will be cut from the 15.25" panels, then doubled, to form my triangles that'll go up to the ceiling. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Figuring out fabric sizes needed for panels
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2014, 06:18 pm »
A safe bet is to plan on 1.5 yards per panel. I am assuming you are not covering the back of the panel. If you are then I would increase that to just over 2 yards.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2014, 08:38 pm »
I guess my problem is more about never ordering cloth before. My corner traps will be 30" w x 81" h. So, to cover those I'll need 33" w .(a yard wide is 36?") The 8" tall corners would need 3 yards to cover, since I doubt I can get 2.5 yards. YARDS!!! Let's measure everything by rods and cubits, and weigh everything by the stone. Sorry, I'm ranting. Thanks Glenn. You always rock.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2015, 09:56 pm »
How do I ask all the tough questions? When ordering one yard of cloth, exactly how big is that? 20" x 60" I need to know to place an order.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:20 pm »
How do I ask all the tough questions? When ordering one yard of cloth, exactly how big is that? 20" x 60" I need to know to place an order.

Ed, you would barely be able to wrap any cloth around the 35 inches it takes to travel 5.5+24+5.5.  When you buy cloth it is by the yard (36 inches) no matter the width of the material.  Material comes in many widths but typically is 36 to 60" in width.  I have never seen any wider than 60 inches.

When I built mine years ago I wrapped the 703 and inserted it into the frame and left the frame visible.  No stapling required and neatness is not required.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm »
Neat approach to problem solving, BRM!!! Thanks!!!  :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2015, 06:35 pm »
Ed, you would barely be able to wrap any cloth around the 35 inches it takes to travel 5.5+24+5.5.  When you buy cloth it is by the yard (36 inches) no matter the width of the material.  Material comes in many widths but typically is 36 to 60" in width.  I have never seen any wider than 60 inches.

:thumb: :thumb:

Fabric is sold by the linear yard.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:56 pm »

Just make sure the fabric is wide enough, then buy the length you need. Fabric comes in different widths on the roll so find the right width and have them reel off what you need. Like Glenn mentions it is measured in lineal yards and yes, you usually can buy a yard and a half.

Greg

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2015, 01:57 pm »
Thanks guys. I need to get my fabric order in, Glenn. 8)

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:56 pm »
Thanks guys. I need to get my fabric order in, Glenn. 8)

Give us a call or you can order right off the website! Let me know if you have any other questions.  :D

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2015, 07:35 pm »
I finally managed to order my Roxul. I picked out the 5.5" thick x 24" wide stuff. They come 5 pieces to a bag, and I got quite a good deal on them. (ESPECIALLY using my Home Depot gift cards!!! Thanks Family!!!) Anyway, the frames are going to be built with .5" Baltic birch; with 3.5" holes drilled and cut out to give me max surface area. I'll take some pics after I get started. I'll get cutting wood when my Roxul comes in. So, 5.5" deep frames with 23" wide Roxul should give me about 34" to cover. Add a couple inches for staples, and 36" wide (a yard) should be about perfect.