Ideas and Questions

JoshK

Ideas and Questions
« on: 3 Nov 2014, 10:14 pm »
So I came across a website that does custom art printing based on Spectral transforms of your favorite music.   That got the wheels turning.   

I really like this, its more subtle than a lot of cliche musical oriented pics I've seen (my opinion).  So I tried to look for a program that could do the transform for me.  I'd like to play around colors and then create a jpeg of the appropriate size.  Then I could order an art panel, so its a win-win on decor and acoustics.

Does anyone know a good program for making such a spectral transform?   I have ARTA but haven't played with it.  I could use matlab at work, but it's graphics manipulation aren't so hot but it can do the transforms pretty easily. 

So basically, programs like Spek can make the "map" for you easily, but I haven't figured out how to export a picture or be able to manipulate the colors.   The transform is fairly basic math by today's standards.  Its a FFT of the input signal (in this case an MP3 or whatever) where frequency is the Y axis, X is time and Z is the intensity in dbs (i.e. heatmap).  In theory I could do this with something like ggplot2 in R, but I'm hoping to have something a little less "Y" in the DIY.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Ideas and Questions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2014, 10:29 pm »
Audacity comes to mind but you would have to Photoshop the colors I think. 

BTW-Badass idea.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2014, 10:32 pm »
Thanks.  I really like this "art".  It speaks to my love of math, love of music and is quite decor friendly/subtle in the right colors. 

Btw, if I figure out how to do it, I am 100% willing to share with anyone that also wants to do something similar. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2014, 02:31 am »
Thanks.  I really like this "art".  It speaks to my love of math, love of music and is quite decor friendly/subtle in the right colors. 
My latest, why didn't I think of this?!?! 

Btw, if I figure out how to do it, I am 100% willing to share with anyone that also wants to do something similar.
Thanks!   :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2014, 03:04 am »
JoshK,

Sorry I can't help, but I like the idea. And I really like that bed! Could you tell me where you came upon this?

Much appreciated,

Greg

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:55 pm »
http://vaporsky.com/gallery/

I'd just buy one from them, but I'd really like to make it part of the acoustic solution.   I was going to place in on the wall above my couch so it will help with rear reflections. 

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:58 pm »
So I mucked around with Spek a bit last night and you can export it as a image.  Its just the color task I need to figure out.   I've never used photoshop before and I don't have a copy. 

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2014, 03:02 am »
http://pixlr.com/editor
Also GIMP is free and works pretty well, you can change the color of stuff really easily in either program.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:59 pm »
http://pixlr.com/editor
Also GIMP is free and works pretty well, you can change the color of stuff really easily in either program.

Sweet thanks!  I'll have to play with this.