The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap is HERE!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap is HERE!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2012, 06:57 pm »
I think you'll like them.  It was really interesting doing pretty much all tuned in the room except for 2 corners and the side reflection panels.  Now I just have to talk MY wife into having some in my room - LOL.

Bryan

InfernoSTi

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2012, 04:22 pm »
Thanks, Bryan.  My current situation has me with a really good listening room. The WAF is less of an issue right now. Not sure it will last forever but for now it's working out well. 

The Scopus traps arrived yesterday evening and I was able to pick them up at FedEx (had them on hold) between work commitments; I had a Friday night event to attend for work so I didn't do much with them... :( 

For now, I have them up in the rear wall corner side by side facing the front wall: please forgive the poor quality photo:

They are very solid with a nice fit/finish.  They match my other treatments. My impression is they would make excellent "stands" for either a full range absorption trap or for a diffusion panel.  They are 10" deep (these are the 40Hz models).

Initial sound: bass is less boomy and overall clarity/detail increased.  How much?  I don't know but I think they compliment the Soffit traps very well.  I will try to do some measurements this weekend.  No promises, right?   :lol:

Best,
John

steve2701

• Isolation perfected.
    • Sonority Design
« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:29 pm »
Hello Guys,
               While I am very happy with my current room setup, and I am rather limited now in scope and area that I can treat I do have a room mode that I would like to try and address.

Some pictures of the rear of my office / listenining room

And a reference to the 30 - 35Hz hump I have.

The room RT60 is ok I think?

I am not expecting miracles, but given the few spaces left on the rear wall is their anything to be achieved here please?
I am in the Midlands area of the UK - so transport may prove expensive?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 5 Apr 2012, 06:17 pm »
The T40's will definitely help with that long tail you have going on in the mid 30's.

Can you post a top view of the room maybe so I can better see where the setup is, what the whole room looks like, etc?

Bryan

steve2701

• Isolation perfected.
    • Sonority Design
« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2012, 06:50 am »

That is how the lower front now looks.

Above that  during construction:-

With electronics between speakers - (had to be like that till sorted)

How the side first reflection traps look.
Any bass traps you see are all solid rockwool, this includes the entire ceiling.
Designed to be live at front and have an RFZ at listening seat.

Just on 11/2 tons of rockwool in there., and I still have that peak.

I'm away for a week - enjoy easter!.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm »
That is an awful lot of absorption in that room and a lot concentrated on the ceiling.  The side wall reflection panels appear to be too high though that likely has nothing to do with the 40Hz problem.

When you get back from holiday, do me a favor and take a couple more measurements.

1.  Move the mic forward 1/3m from where you sit.

2.  Put the mic back where you sit and pull the speakers forward about 1/3m.  Not sure how doable this one is due to the weight of the speakers.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:19 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99911.msg1011432#msg1011432

This response, with the old pair of speakers, might still be applicable to whether or not these new devices could help me.

I need to make some new plots but do you think I can improve a dip?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:32 pm »
The biggest thing would be to identify why those peaks and dips occur.  That would help us determine where needs to be treated.  The 70Hz (assuming I remember correctly and your ceiling is approx 8') is likely a ceiling problem.  Also, IIRC, your seating location is somewhat fixed already so we really can't help in that regard.

I would also be interested to see if you're still getting significantly different response in L vs R.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:45 pm »
If I had to, I probably could force myself to move up to a foot in any direction, assuming the speakers moved with me.

I am also open to more ceiling treatments, which I want to redo completely, and floor treatments out in the bounce region in front of each speaker.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:54 pm »
I'd want to retake the measurement with new speakers in existing speaker and seating position before making any hard and fast decisions Pete. Theory is great - measurements don't lie...

Bryan

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:05 am »
"...The side wall reflection panels appear to be too high though that likely has nothing to do with the 40Hz problem..."

hi steve,

i followed your room build in another forum - wery impressive!   :thumb:  but, i also wondered about the location of the side-wall panels, that bryan mentioned; i never posted because i was not a member of that other forum.  it would seem to me, that for the side panels to be effective, the listening position (~8" below the top of your chair?) should be centered on those panels, and as it is now, the bottoms of the panels barely reach the top of the chair...

also, if that were my room, i would move the two equipment racks off the side wall, and put them up against the rear wall between the speakers.  it seems they are in the way of the main wave-front of the speakers...

from your room-building thread, i know how much time/effort/money went into that room build, but i can't help but wonder why you didn't increase the room's width and depth by another meter or so...

doug s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:47 am »
Right

Left

Stereo waterfall

Many more plots in my system change thread in Salk Circle.  With more traps, mic locations, etc.

ricardojoa

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2012, 05:15 pm »
Can these be instaled behind speaker to absorb bass from the port?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2012, 08:22 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. Just way behind from being at AKFEST. 

Yes - they can certainly be mounted in that location if it's giving you problems.

Bryan

Vaughan

« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2012, 09:42 am »
Stupid question time. How do you know where to place these tuned absorbers? Let's say you measure the room with REW or similar program and you see lots of ringing between 40 Hz-80 Hz. Then what? Just trying to understand how one determines correct placement to tackle those issues or does it not really matter? Just put it on the back wall, etc?

In my case, I've got Tri-traps for the front two corners, floor to ceiling and two 244 panels. Currently I'm not able to put the 244's up but I'll be moving soon. For me, dialog clarity is rather poor and the Tri-traps didn't improve things one bit (for dialog). My center speaker is quite big, but I'm high-passing them at 80 Hz. I haven't measured the room but I'll be getting Omnimic soon to evaluate. If I'm experiencing poor dialog clarity how would I know where to look in the frequency/time range?

I'm putting the cart before the horse (as I usually do :D), as I quite like the idea of tuned traps targetting issues that the panel absorbers can't. Just don't know if these tuned absorbers would help in that regard or not.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2012, 11:19 am »
If looking purely for control of ringing and decay times, there is some flexibility in placement.   If you're also looking to address frequency response issues, then we need to find where the offending reflective surface is in the room and place them there.

Bryan

johzel

« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2012, 11:47 am »

steve2701, is that "bass trap" on the floor a Welsh Springer Spaniel??   :scratch:

Vaughan

« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2012, 12:00 pm »
Quote from: bpape
If looking purely for control of ringing and decay times, there is some flexibility in placement.   If you're also looking to address frequency response issues, then we need to find where the offending reflective surface is in the room and place them there.

If I'm experiencing dialog intelligibility issues and my center placement is fine (ie close to ear height, away from boundaries), how would I determine what type of treatment plan would be effective for improving it? Dialog sounds muffled, boomy (ie certain frequencies tend to create a booey sound that muddles the rest).

I'm also experiencing boomy bass down low and I'm sure the Tri-traps have helped a good deal in that regard, but I never measured the before and after to confirm how effective they were. I guess what I'm asking is how does one determine the correct treatment plan for tackling dialog intelligbility?

Vaughan

« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2012, 12:06 pm »
Just to add : not all dialog sounds muffled, but there are specific frequencies that tend to overpower the rest which I imagine is what you consider "ringing". I know if those issues did not exist dialog would be so much clearer and easier to follow. I just have no idea what action plan I need.

The Scopus trap tackling 100 Hz (T100 I think), sounds good. But for all I know my issues aren't centered within that range.

Vaughan

« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2012, 08:49 am »
Bump.