Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

tie_breaker

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1560 on: 13 Feb 2016, 12:42 am »
OK it's back, phew, the messages in Media Player didn't say it was rebuilding the db. So everything is up and running but the 2 image folders still did not get re-created :D

Hi Rod, I had the same issue with cover art and after some trial and error figured out that bdp is creating the bdp_front_44 and 250 jpg and png files when it indexes the files.  Then it uses these images in the Default and Artist views.  When I noticed that some of my albums where missing cover art I tried to recreate the indexes but was unsuccessful for those albums. For whatever reason MM is not creating these images for these sub folders where the albums are stored on disk.  So I used my photo editor and created these files myself, 44x44 and 250x250 pixel size images of the cover art.  Now those albums are showing in both views just fine.

Btw, I enabled a scratch drive and am not sure what it really does, whether I have the scratch drive attached or disconnected the MM works the same way, the cover art displays the same way....

tie_breaker

« Reply #1561 on: 13 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
I agree with gustavog and krutsch, bryston is best at making components that produce great sound quality but I think software isn't bryston's strength.  MM is a decent application however unless bryston fully invests into software they are better off putting the effort towards integrating BDP with software such as Roon to provide better user experience for BDP owners.

volpone

« Reply #1562 on: 13 Feb 2016, 07:46 am »
My view exactly. I see endless threads about this and that other detail of MM and, in Roon, there is the opportunity for Bryston to embrace a working, rich, and well polished UI and concentrate on the BDP sound.
+1.
I agree with @gustavog, @Krutsh, @tie_breaker.

Hope Bryston will put the effort on Roon integration for better User Experience.
Bryston strengh is about sound and not software and user interface.

vonnie123

« Reply #1563 on: 13 Feb 2016, 07:53 am »
Well that didn't work to well. I'm now getting a message saying Bryston DB crash detected. I initialed a reboot via MPD but that didn't seem to have any affect :(

After multiple tries, I deactivated this feature.  The database continues to corrupt itself.  The software on the Bryston Media player is workable, but I think it has outpaced the early release BDP-1. 

docder

« Reply #1564 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:12 pm »
I find the latest MPD, 0.19.12, with the recent firmware update, to be working fine with the BDP-1. I have had the BDP-1 since 2010 and there have been times over the years when I could become very frustrated with trying to get music to list and play, but since Manic Moose and recent firmware updates I have been much happier and get along just fine with the Bryston software. The only plea I would wish to make is for a built in link to Qobuz rather than to Tidal. 

Krutsch

« Reply #1565 on: 13 Feb 2016, 05:31 pm »
After multiple tries, I deactivated this feature.  The database continues to corrupt itself.  The software on the Bryston Media player is workable, but I think it has outpaced the early release BDP-1.

Not trying to pile on, but... I have the same issue. Whenever I update my thumb drive, with new music, I watch it rebuild and then it freezes around 30%. Then, I reset the Bryston DB, and it rebuilds successfully from the beginning.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1566 on: 14 Feb 2016, 06:36 pm »
Is it possible to have SqueezeLite updated to the latest version so we can use the BDP as a SqueezeBox end point? I wasn't able to make it work with the current SqueezeLite version, nor AirPlay...

Thanks

gustavog

« Reply #1567 on: 15 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
I see that there is a new MM version, but why RAAT was removed??? What was the problem?

S2.24 2016-02-08
MPD
Fixed minor bugs occuring with certains units
RoonLabs Raat
RoonLabs RAAT, removed upon RoonLabs request
Disk Information
Fixed bug with selecting scratch drive

Krutsch

« Reply #1568 on: 15 Feb 2016, 06:12 pm »
I see that there is a new MM version, but why RAAT was removed??? What was the problem?

S2.24 2016-02-08
MPD
Fixed minor bugs occuring with certains units
RoonLabs Raat
RoonLabs RAAT, removed upon RoonLabs request
Disk Information
Fixed bug with selecting scratch drive

Could be the line in bold above?

gustavog

« Reply #1569 on: 15 Feb 2016, 07:39 pm »
Could be the line in bold above?

Yes, it says that RAAT was removed upon Roon request, but I would like to know what was the reason and why Roon requested that. Is RAAT support going to return to MM or what?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1570 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:20 pm »
Yes, it says that RAAT was removed upon Roon request, but I would like to know what was the reason and why Roon requested that. Is RAAT support going to return to MM or what?

At this point they have a BDP and we are waiting for final approvals. 

James

gustavog

« Reply #1571 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:36 pm »
At this point they have a BDP and we are waiting for final approvals. 

James

Thank You James, that's very good to know

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1572 on: 15 Feb 2016, 11:56 pm »
So if/when that happens, what does RAAT do? Does that mean Roon would run directly off the BDP, bypassing the need for a Roon server/computer? 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1573 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:33 am »
Not trying to pile on, but... I have the same issue. Whenever I update my thumb drive, with new music, I watch it rebuild and then it freezes around 30%. Then, I reset the Bryston DB, and it rebuilds successfully from the beginning.

this will be fixed in the next released

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1574 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:37 am »
What was the problem?

they didn't say

Krutsch

« Reply #1575 on: 16 Feb 2016, 10:32 pm »
this will be fixed in the next released

Nice work! Looks like the DB crash issues are gone. I am able to update from scratch to the end without issues.

Krutsch

« Reply #1576 on: 16 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm »

See the image. The Artists View gets confused with duplicate album titles, with respect to which album cover to display. I have 5 albums in my collection called "Greatest Hits" - all from different artists. Luscious Jackson is the first artist, alphabetically speaking, with that album.

In MM's Artist View, all of them are assigned the "Luscious Jackson" "Greatest Hits" cover. The attached image is for ZZ Top, the last one.

Krutsch

« Reply #1577 on: 16 Feb 2016, 10:49 pm »

See the attached image. A corollary to the above issue. When browsing the Default View and selecting Albums, there is only ONE (1) album called Greatest Hits, with the the tracks from all five albums mixed together, in tracks index order.

So, five tracks ones, then five track twos, etc...

Krutsch

« Reply #1578 on: 16 Feb 2016, 10:53 pm »

In the Artists View, the thumbnail images are frequently corrupted if they contain a lot white in the background. See the attached image as an example, but I have a lot of these. And, yes, I've deleted all of the bdp_front_*.jpg images and rebuild, with the same result.

FWIW, during playback, the original art work displays without issue (after the initial track - the first track often fails to update the cover art portion of the screen).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1579 on: 17 Feb 2016, 01:18 am »

In the Artists View, the thumbnail images are frequently corrupted if they contain a lot white in the background. See the attached image as an example, but I have a lot of these. And, yes, I've deleted all of the bdp_front_*.jpg images and rebuild, with the same result.

FWIW, during playback, the original art work displays without issue (after the initial track - the first track often fails to update the cover art portion of the screen).

I suspect this is an unintended side effect from switching to the png format over jpg.  I'll try to remember to take a look at it tomorrow.