New to Audiocircle and just as new to open baffle!

Freemand

• "To smoke is human; to smoke cigars is divine."
New to Audiocircle and just as new to open baffle!
« on: 13 Jul 2015, 07:46 pm »
Hi all! New to this site and am happy to be here to see an opportunity to learn a lot, meet new people and do what I love.

I have been an audio geek since high school and continued into adult life. However, in about 2004 I ramped up my passion when I found audiogon, bought much higher end home theater equipment, and discovered the greatness of tweaking!

I recently put a thread up on agon about upgrading to a new speaker and help in finding a replacement. With that I spent endless hours for days researching whats out there for speakers.

Then I discovered Emerald physics open baffle design and my opinions on the best speaker design has changed. I really think open baffle is the way of the future if done right and plenty of room. Of course, you guys are more experienced at this open baffle design and have a deeper understanding.
But open baffle seems to be a bigger hit on this site to box speakers.

I am interested in building a diy open baffle with the aid of this site, but I think I may start by buying a commercial pair specifically the Emerald physics KC II. That way later I will have a reference point to compare my diy OB speakers to.

Anybody listen to the KC II? there brand new so theres not much info on them. They are similar to their EP-2

mcgsxr

Re: New to Audiocircle and just as new to open baffle!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:09 pm »
Welcome to AC, and a special welcome to the circle dedicated to open baffle!

I have never had the pleasure of hearing the speakers in question, but can understand the allure of OB. 

It can be a very rewarding approach to sound reproduction, with careful attention paid to placement etc.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:31 pm »

I am interested in building a diy open baffle with the aid of this site, but I think I may start by buying a commercial pair specifically the Emerald physics KC II. That way later I will have a reference point to compare my diy OB speakers to.

Check out Hawthorne Audio for OB DIY options. Hawthorne is currently developing OB monitors, so space requirements will be less of an issue. 

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:49 pm »
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project12/Project12.html

Small, cheap, great performance from a passive crossover OB speaker. Quick and easy to get your feet wet with respect to OB design and possible trade-offs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm »
Welcome aboard   :thumb:

Lots of good resources here:

MLK is the co-developer of a MathCad application to design virtually any kind of loudspeaker.   :o

Hawthorne offers affordable/compact/easy to build coaxial open baffle speakers:  hawthorneaudio.us  I've known Darrel and his wife for years.  A mutual friend helped guide him and built crossovers for him early on.

Linkwitz.com has tons of good information on open baffle and open speaker design.

Feel free to search the open baffle circle for more leads.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:10 pm »
Check out the Spatial Audio Hologram M3. What a great sounding speaker and it's only $1500. I have heard it sound very good with a modern Class D amp (Red Dragon Audio S500) and a good S.E.T. amp (Audion Silver Knight).

This one is a killer deal. If I had the room for a second set of speakers I would get a pair.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:11 pm »
MJK is the co-developer of a MathCad application to design virtually any kind of loudspeaker.

Only developer.

Freemand

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2015, 04:05 am »
Thank you for your kind regards!

This open baffle is really intriguing but will admit I know very little about it and need to keep digging into info on this circle to get more familiarized with the technology. This forum seems to be the holy grail for open baffle enthusiast. 

The one great thing for all of us whom diy is you can build this design so much easier and dont need as complex woodworking skills to build a nice looking pair.

I will dig into the suggestions speakers above this week.

Freemand

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2015, 02:46 pm »
Well, I spent a lot of time yesterday researching the spatial hologram speakers per mentioning of one of the posters and they sound like well regarded speakers. I did not think there was a competitor at the price point of emerald physics for open baffle speakers but I guess there is.

My thinking is if a man could listen to both somewhere and make a decision kinda like deciding on a new car but sadly it doesn't work that way in audio.

This may be the best place to ask this being the open baffle interest, but whats the general consensus in the circle....

Emerald Physics, or
Spatial

Are they comperable or is there a preferment to one over the other here?

I may pose that exact question in a new thread here in the open baffle to get more attention then what will get seen in this thread.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2015, 05:11 am »
I like the look of the Spatial Design. Looks very sturdy and yet simple. And the use of two 12" drivers are as small as i would go. I use one 15" woofer and it's terrific.  There is something about larger drivers,  in OB applications,  they just make them sound better.

Also. I can't stress enough. That a solid, sturdy panel/baffle will help the speaker produce better quality sound.

Good luck.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2015, 02:17 pm »
Don't know much about them, but another alternative.
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2015, 03:00 pm »
Well, I spent a lot of time yesterday researching the spatial hologram speakers per mentioning of one of the posters and they sound like well regarded speakers. I did not think there was a competitor at the price point of emerald physics for open baffle speakers but I guess there is.

My thinking is if a man could listen to both somewhere and make a decision kinda like deciding on a new car but sadly it doesn't work that way in audio.

This may be the best place to ask this being the open baffle interest, but whats the general consensus in the circle....

Emerald Physics, or
Spatial

Are they comperable or is there a preferment to one over the other here?

I may pose that exact question in a new thread here in the open baffle to get more attention then what will get seen in this thread.

It is to be noted that originally Clayton Shaw was the designer for Emerald Physics but it seems as if he sold the company to someone else and now it is being marketed on its own.  It is logical that Clayton would further develop the ideas once conceived in EP to his new company and new speaker line, Spatial.

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2015, 03:05 pm »

PureAudioProject will be at the California Audio Show in August.

https://caaudioshow.com/cas6-exhibitors

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2015, 03:07 pm »

These speakers also look very interesting.  Nevertheless being new, there needs to be feedback.  Looks like they use known components, now the question is, will experience and talent AKA:  Clayton Shaw, win over component and unknown experience as in the Pureaudioproject?  I am curious to see. 

ajmac

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2015, 03:54 am »
Hi All,

Please allow me to piggy back on Freemand's post. I'm also 'new to this site and am happy to be here to see an opportunity to learn a lot, meet new people...' In fact, this is my first post in all forums.

I have been using a pair of ATC studio monitors for years, and more than half of my listening is on classical/orchestral music. I found the ATCs do have a distinct presentation of classical music where it's hard to find in many other speakers. (Maybe I'm just too use to them. :lol:) Recently I've been trying to find a pair of more full range speakers since my pair start to roll off around 80Hz, and I've been reading up a lot on OB as well as DIY. I've read description of the music from OB speaker of presence, wide & deep sound stage, and the singer being on your lap. But i don't seem to come across any discussion regarding OB speakers for classical music. So please let me ask:

Are (well designed & implemented) OB speakers good for classical/orchestral music? Would a full symphony be too busy for OB?

I also like the idea of using a wide range driver to cover the most important frequency range. Is there a particularly good/outsanding driver for classical and acoustic jazz type of music? 6.5", 8", Bi-cone, non-bi-cone, Tangband, Dayton, Alpair... I'd like to keep the budget for these wide-ranger under $250 for the pair, but the budget can be stretched if necessary. For example, I know the Tangband 1808 are over $200 each. But if they really work better for classical and jazz, I would stretch the budget.

I've read some of MJK's articles, especially on OB. I only have a limited understanding of the math, but I think I get the basic. But I'm sure I'll have further practical questions down the road. For example, would 2 Eminence Alpha15 (like that of pureaudioproject) be close to using 1 Alpha15 in H-frame?

I appreciate all suggestions and the sharing of your experience.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm »

Found them on static display at the April Chicago Axpona show.  Like the simple, straight forward, modular design and the use of off the shelf quality drivers.

steve f

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2015, 01:35 pm »
The speakers were up and running at the California Audio Show. They're pretty good. There are several options available, with new woofers introduced. That said, they are large panels. Quite a few people won't have room for them.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2015, 02:50 pm »
The speakers were up and running at the California Audio Show. They're pretty good. There are several options available, with new woofers introduced. That said, they are large panels. Quite a few people won't have room for them.

They also offer 10" driver models that are smaller (16.5" wide) and DIY parts including frames.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2015, 10:15 am »
These double Alphas on flat baffles produce more room filling bass than I get from my H-frame Alphas.

jimbones

« Reply #19 on: 2 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm »
PG, I like the speakers. Is there any threads on this speaker build? I'd like to learn more. Thanks.