AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Re: AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:44 pm »
3 weeks already?  :o  You should have it in no time then.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:47 pm »
I've been enthralled with the dual conduit Revelation Audio Labs USB cable.  The power leg only needs to be connected to my Mac Mini during handshake, then once the Antelope Gold driver is seen the power leg can be pulled (for listening).  It has been in that state (no power, just signal leg connected) for about a week now.  The noise floor is soooo low that microdetails, ambient cues, harmonics, etc are fabulous.  I'm very exceited by this potential.  Net/net, no need to worry about USB power quality when you don't need USB power.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:04 pm »
So if I'm reading this all correct, the Aqvox doesn't pass the audio signal.  So it doesn't matter what resolution the source material is.  Correct?

This device seems very similar to Arts product.  His is limited to 24/96 though.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.0

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:08 pm »
You are correct. AQVOX doesn't limit resolution.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2011, 02:07 am »
Matt, do you have the base Tranquility or the SE?  I would try to upgrade to the SE if I had the base unit.  There is suppose to be a significant difference.

gooberdude

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2011, 02:35 am »
Its the base model Tranquility.  No funds avail to jump to the SE, and my next dac will have more than 1 input.   It would be great if db audio labs built a multi-input SE level dac.

The Tranquility is my 1st dac. Didn't think i'd enjoy it so much and now want tv, ps3 & sacd player to run through one.  Seems like I entered into dac's at a great time in terms of the # of good dacs out, especially for a vinyl guy.

The aqvox psu should be a good fit with most any dac i choose down the road.

on a side note, mail service where i live is spotty.  i'm not sure which carrier they use, but if there's a delay in my delivery...it may not mean others will have to wait as long.  When aqvx confirmed the order they said 18-22 days on avg.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:18 am »
It should come by USPS.  I think Eric Hider is working on a DAC that will accept SPDIF and USB.  To clearly better the Tranquility SE, I think you will have to spend over $4000.  May be you can sell your base Tranquility and buy an SE.  I think Eric may have a used SE for good price.  The other thing that will really open up the sound of the Tranquility is to get Dodd Audio Tube buffer  If you know how to solder, you can buy the kit for about $500.  There's synergy with the Dodd buffer that I don't get with my Bent Audio Tap X passive pre.

mamba315

« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:15 pm »
I've been enthralled with the dual conduit Revelation Audio Labs USB cable.

Price?  I don't see the dual conduit version on their website.  How'd you hear of it?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:27 pm »
Price?  I don't see the dual conduit version on their website.  How'd you hear of it?

It's msrp is around $550.  You can find one or two on Audiogon.

I first heard of it through here on AC when a member was selling his cable.  I then contacted Brad at Revelation Audio Labs and he worked out a loaner for me.    PM me and I'll fwd some info, etc or just google (I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I have).

gooberdude

« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:38 pm »
Pretty sure its on their website, I saw it the other night under their Digital Cable link (i think), at the bottom.

My psu has arrived at the post office, i won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow.  Total travel time was 21 days.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:21 am »
You're in for a treat...AQVOX+Tranquility=Mui excellante, but AQVOX+Dodd Tube Buffer with 6H30DR+Tranquility=Da Bomb!

gooberdude

« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2011, 06:55 pm »
It'll be a few more days i guess, the psu hasn't arrived.  green glue & the xtz room analyzer did show up though.

i'm shooting aqvx an e-mail.

gooberdude

« Reply #32 on: 29 Aug 2011, 03:43 pm »
It showed up 8/25.  I haven't plugged it in yet, but should have time later today.

gooberdude

« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:18 am »
This is $ well spent   :lol:    Just awesome.   My Tranquility found the beast within.   

Seems like the volume goes up a bit, but probably just more info coming through the speakers. Very enjoyable. Similar result as any power supply upgrade i've experienced, an across the spectrum improvement in detail, dynamics, clarity, widened stage, etc. Improving the source has profound, trickle down effects.

An easy recommendation to anyone w/a usb dac, and thanks again to Dracule1    :singing:

roscoeiii

« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:34 am »
Getting closer to the TRL? (which you praise so much I begin to regret selling it to you....) would love to hear how the two now compare.

gooberdude

« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:47 am »
I haven't compared the 2, but yes, much closer.  I'm amazed at the improvement.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:56 am »
I guess I don't understand.   :scratch:  If the Tranquility DAC is not USB bus powered, then what is the AQVOX doing to elicit this praise?  Non bus powered DACS simply look for the 5V to begin the handshake (at least that's my understanding) so I'm not sure what the effects are.  For those DACs powered by the 5V USB bus, then sure, a better ps like the AQVOX is obvious.  But the Tranquility has its own 120V power supply, and the AQVOX isn't addressing that end.

gooberdude

« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:01 am »
I think all it does is replace the power source that the computer normally provides to the dac.  In other words, my dac has always needed 2 sources of electricity: from the wall & from the computer.

this psu provides power in a much better way than my computer did.  much, much better.   This is really something else!! 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:11 am »
I think all it does is replace the power source that the computer normally provides to the dac.  In other words, my dac has always needed 2 sources of electricity: from the wall & from the computer.

this psu provides power in a much better way than my computer did.  much, much better.   This is really something else!!

Power for what?  Your DAC is not bus powered.  All it uses the 5V computer-provided power for is to sense a computer for the handshake.

gooberdude

« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:18 am »
I know zilch about the technical aspect!  sorry i can't be of more help.  This psu, and the one that Art makes, powers a chip inside (receiver chip maybe?).  this psu is not just for dac's that get all their power from the usb cable. 

the good clean power results in better dac performance is all i know.