Magnepan Speaker Placement

Saturn94

Re: Magnepan Speaker Placement
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2020, 02:46 pm »
Now that I’ve had a bit of time with my LRS w/Magna Risers (Airborne model) and experimented with placement, I’m finding there is more than one position that works well, providing a different presentation in each position.  So now I move them to suit for whatever presentation I‘m in the mood; a benefit of the LRS being easy to move.  I just mark the different positions with tape for easy/quick placement changes.

Does anyone else change Maggie position depending on mood?

Interestingly, my comment before about needing to place the LRS closer together than my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s doesn’t seem to apply now since replacing the stock stands with Magna Risers.  I can spread them quite far, giving a huge soundstage without losing center imaging.

Something else I noticed; I wondered if my 60” plasma TV between the front speakers was impacting the sound negatively.  I covered it with a heavy comforter, but that seemed to suck the life out of the sound without any real improvement in imaging.  It definitely sounds better left alone uncovered.  Frankly, I was surprised by this result as I’ve read many times to avoid having a large TV between the speakers.

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2020, 01:49 am by Saturn94 »

johnto

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2020, 01:31 am »
I have 3.7i so I don't change speaker position but I do change my sitting location within a 7' line front to back.

Saturn94

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2020, 01:51 am »
I have 3.7i so I don't change speaker position but I do change my sitting location within a 7' line front to back.

That’s great you have that option.  :thumb:

Unfortunately, my seating position is fixed.

Paul_In_WA

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2020, 07:29 am »
My Magnepan 1.7's are toed in and about 32-37" from the back wall depending on which part of the panel you measure from.  I have the tweeters in the inside and a couple of CD cases behind the back foot to tilt them forward slightly.  They are 80" apart measured from the inside edges and 144" from my head.  I did try them moved forward another 6" or so but didn't like the sound as much.  I felt tilting them forward and having the tweeters on the inside improved the treble which seems a little recessed.  On some recordings the soundstage is huge, both wide and deep and on other recordings it seems quite compacted.  Unsure if that is because of the positioning of the speakers or just the recordings.  Soundstage got bigger with the PS Audio Stellar S300 power amp I just got but that amp seems a little clinical in its presentation.

One of the things I did, was to build two rock wool acoustic panels that are about 30" wide and 60" tall that I have behind the speakers and against the cabinets.  I haven't seen much posted about putting sound treatments directly behind Maggies.  I built that panels after hanging a couple of moving blankets there and thinking it improved the sound.  I would be interested in learning if others have tried something like that and what the results have been.

Moving things around and then listening critically isn't my favorite part of the audiophile journey and mostly the speakers sound amazing though I often wonder if they would be even better if I didn't want the room to serve multiple purposes!