2013 Capitol Audio Fest

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
2013 Capitol Audio Fest
« on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:31 am »
The 2013 Capital Audiofest is set for July 26-28 in the Washington DC
area at our new venue the Sheraton Hotel in Silver Spring,

We're having dinner on Saturday evening like we did last year.

Roll call...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: 2013 Capitol Audio Fest
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:43 am »
Sounds good to me!  See you in July!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm »
I don't think it will be at the same restaurant tho....

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:55 pm »
If you can fit an additional chair at your table, I'd love to join you guys...

Pete

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2012, 04:12 pm »
I don't think it will be at the same restaurant tho....

Good point. We'll have to find a new bar-n-grill joint.

Or, we can still to to the old one because it works.

We can find a new place for lunch.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm »
Probably will need to be something in walking distance as I'm sure with the location, many people will take the metro

DTB300

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm »
Mi Rancho is right around the corner.  There are other place too right near by (walking) in downtown Silver Spring

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:46 pm »
Mi Rancho is right around the corner.  There are other place too right near by (walking) in downtown Silver Spring

Menu looks interesting and has the basics - we have lots of time  http://www.miranchotexmexrestaurant.com/

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm »
If you can fit an additional chair at your table, I'd love to join you guys...

Pete

Yeah, no problem, we let anybody join in, as you could have guessed if you saw our group last year.   :lol:

I'll miss the Crown Plaza and it's quaint and homey atmosphere.  I had gotten used to the area and knew just where to park etc.  I suppose one hotel is just like another as these go, and perhaps there's more available for the promoters in what looks like a somewhat larger venue, but for me one of the draws was the Crown Plaza.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm »
Puh-LENTY of eateries around there. And if you feel Audio Overload coming on, you can do all kinds of stuff around there.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2012, 02:25 am »
Puh-LENTY of eateries around there. And if you feel Audio Overload coming on, you can do all kinds of stuff around there.

Any good bar-n-grills?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2012, 02:34 am »
I'll miss the Crown Plaza and it's quaint and homey atmosphere.  I had gotten used to the area and knew just where to park etc.  I suppose one hotel is just like another as these go, and perhaps there's more available for the promoters in what looks like a somewhat larger venue, but for me one of the draws was the Crown Plaza.

Lunch at the hotel was nice...

...no joke, I was planning on having the bland pasta this upcoming time as well!

:wink:

Phil A

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2013, 05:43 am »
I don't know which thread we're suppose to post this in so I'll do it for both.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116265.new#new  The Quarry House Tavern gets great reviews on Yelp, might be a bit crowded Sat. night.  Mi Rancho was mentioned, close, I like Mexican, it says they have a bar but no drink or beer list on the menu.  The 8407 kitchen bar looks very interesting, but reviews say inconsistent, great or mediocre depending on the visit.  Ray's the Classics looks like a good ol American steakhouse with good reviews.  Olazzo looks like an excellent Italian restaurant with a great martini bar, my kinda place.  La Malinche is a Tapas place with great reviews, I love Tapas but not for everyone, great mexican beer list, kinda plain decor.  McGinty's Public House is the best Irish pub I could find, looks pretty nice, but again, you have to be in the mood for Irish.  For lunch the Adega Wine Cellars & Cafe looks kewl, think Panera with class.

Well, that's my list, what looks good?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2013, 06:08 am »
Steakhouse for dinner.

On a side note, class doesn't equate good. I was out of town on company business and stayed at a resort that was setup as our place to stay. $30 (or $22 our cost) for the dinner buffet and some nights Golden Corral was twice the taste at half the price. Kinda like spending the money to eat pasta at the old venue (hotel) and a package of Pasta-Roni tasting better.

But, I guess the cafe for lunch.

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2013, 12:02 am »
I posted this elsewhere, but there are quite a few good eats.
  • Crisfield’s Seafood is a hole-in-the-wall in the best possible sense and serves some truly outstanding local grub. This was a go-to growing up. And a go-to when my father was growing up. It’s effing legendary.
  • I’ve eaten at Ray’s The Classics once, before I moved out to the sticks, and it’s a nice treat. Great American food, a bit more expansive that the typical “steakhouse”, but the steaks are the keystone on the menu.
  • Mandalay was a weekly visit when I used to live nearby. Loved that place. Great, spicy, Asian food.
  • Want a pub? Try the Quarry House. Da Marco, Santucci’s, Parkway and Woodside are all great delis.
  • But if you’re up for ethnic food, Silver Spring is jammed full of delicious diversions. Check out Yelp here and here for some great recommendations. Urban Spoon has a similar listing, but check that out here.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2013, 01:41 am »
Steakhouse for dinner.

On a side note, class doesn't equate good. I was out of town on company business and stayed at a resort that was setup as our place to stay. $30 (or $22 our cost) for the dinner buffet and some nights Golden Corral was twice the taste at half the price. Kinda like spending the money to eat pasta at the old venue (hotel) and a package of Pasta-Roni tasting better.

But, I guess the cafe for lunch.

Yes but it does not likely come with the perils of the Golden Corral - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/golden-corral-dumpster_n_3560786.html

I think either a steakhouse or tavern/pub is probably going to fit the bill with a majority of the people.  Most places will be crowded on Sat.  Perhaps if we can get a head count they may let us call ahead a bit.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2013, 01:44 am »
I will only be able to make it on Friday this year.  Will not be able to make dinner on Saturday as I had hoped. 

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2013, 02:16 am »
I will only be able to make it on Friday this year.  Will not be able to make dinner on Saturday as I had hoped.

I should be there at some point Friday.  Going to try to get stuff done early and perhaps get there either right at lunch or just after.  I'm always up for eating.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2013, 03:40 am »
I should be there at some point Friday.  Going to try to get stuff done early and perhaps get there either right at lunch or just after.  I'm always up for eating.

I should be there myself as well. I will run into you both at some point. We will talk about it then.