Finish Options

aaron_hinni

Finish Options
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 09:30 pm »
I am getting close to placing an order with ACI, but I am having a rough time on deciding on what finish.  I am building a dedicated 13 x 19.5 room, with a small stage up front.  I plan on doing a pair of Sapphire XLs with an XLC center, and a pair of the Force XLs up front(I'll do the surrounds later).

I want to make sure that whatever finish I get doesn't reflect too much light (piano black is out), and also doesn't overpower the room.  I really like the looks of the cherry, but I don't have a good sense of how reflective it is.  I'd want to make sure it wouldn't be too distracting while watching movies.  Anyone have any advice here?

Also, are there any better pictures of the Satin Black finish floating around anywhere?  I don't have a very good feeling for what this actually looks like by looking at the pics on the website.  I'd like a better picture, or a suggestion for something local that I could go look at in person that might be similar.

thanks,
aaron

jimmyb

Re: Finish Options
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:45 am »
I have the cherry Maestro XL, it is fairly refective/ ie shiny, clear coated ,but no more than any thing out there on the market. The cherry looks nice and is on very much on the red side of things but just a bit too red to match most other furniture I can find, the piano black looks killer on the photos IMO

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:35 pm »
Aaron:

I'll check my photo folders when I get home. If I find anything, I'll email them to you, they won't be publishing quality, but they might give you a better idea . . .

aaron_hinni

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:14 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I guess I am most interested in seeing what the Satin Black looks like.  Then I'll have to determine if I want them all black... or mix em up a bit with the Cherry.  Like I said, I really like the looks of the inlaid cherry, but i fear that it might be too reflective for HT use (and thanks jimmy for clearing that up).

ajayrav

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:34 pm »
I use the Sapphire XLs and XLC in my home theater and reflections are not a problem for me.  I do use the speaker grills and from the viewing position all you can see is the baffle covered by the grill.  The piano gloss looks great in my opinion.  Dark, deep and lustrous!  I can post pictures of my set-up if it will help.

aaron_hinni

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:40 pm »
Yes, please post some pics.  I assumed the piano black would reflect light worse than any of them due to the glossy finish.

I'll probably leave the grills off, and am not really worried about reflections from the front.  I am just worried about light reflecting off of the screen, onto the speakers, and then washing out the image.  Also when watching movies, I would prefer to not really notice the speaker due to a glare or anything.  I guess worse case I can always puts some black velvet on the reflective spots, but would much rather leave the finish as is.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:07 am »
Aaron:

I checked all my picture folders, not a single decent pic of Satin Black . . .  need to put it on the list. Since I don't have the pic, here's what I can tell you in a bit less than a 1000 words:

- Satin Black is the choice if non-reflectivity is your primary goal, we carry it for exactly this use and the requests we get from recording studios. Best way to describe it is a very even, smooth black without any gloss.

- I personally use a front PJ, 102" screen. I've used practically every combo of ACI speaker and finish in this setup and haven't found reflections to be a problem with either the Inlaid Cherry or the Piano Black. Yes, if I look for them, they are there, but I don't find them to distract me from the screen. I know the reflections might be more of a problem for some people, in that case, I'd definitely go with the Satin Black. It looks clean and simply blends in.  I really love wood . . . so if I were doing a permanent setup, I'd get the cherry and MAYBE use a black cloth draped over the center if I ever found it distracting . . . I hope Ajay posts his pics  :D

aaron_hinni

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:29 am »
Thanks again Mike.  I really hate these sorts of decisions.  Good thing is, there probably is no really wrong one here.

So does the Satin Black have any sort of wood grain look to it at all? If not, then what is it made of?  I wonder if I could find a sample of something similar somewhere.

I am leaning towards doing cherry for at least the LCRs.  I'd do the subs as well, but just not sure how all five of those pieces up front with all of that cherry would look.  Then again, I might hate to have two big cube blobs of black up there as well.

Might be time to call the decorator  :roll:

innov8ion

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:23 pm »
Aaron, if you want you can check out the piano black Sapphire XL's at my loft downtown.  Just got em in yesterday and the amp to power them is coming today :)  Maybe that will help get over your fear of reflectivity for HT. 

Thanks Mike.  I guess I am most interested in seeing what the Satin Black looks like.  Then I'll have to determine if I want them all black... or mix em up a bit with the Cherry.  Like I said, I really like the looks of the inlaid cherry, but i fear that it might be too reflective for HT use (and thanks jimmy for clearing that up).

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:52 pm »
Thanks again Mike.  I really hate these sorts of decisions.  Good thing is, there probably is no really wrong one here.

So does the Satin Black have any sort of wood grain look to it at all? If not, then what is it made of?  I wonder if I could find a sample of something similar somewhere.

I am leaning towards doing cherry for at least the LCRs.  I'd do the subs as well, but just not sure how all five of those pieces up front with all of that cherry would look.  Then again, I might hate to have two big cube blobs of black up there as well.

Might be time to call the decorator  :roll:

The Satin Finish is simply multiple coats of sprayed Satin Black paint on smooth MDF. If you look at spray paint cans in a hardware store or such, find the satin black, the cap will be pretty much what our finish looks like . . . ours just happens to be applied with spray guns rather than cans, but the same effect.

aaron_hinni

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:15 pm »
Ah, lovely.  I'll just go pick up a can and paint some scrap MDF that I have lying around.  That should give me a good idea.  At least I'll know what finish to use for some custom MDF stands if I go that route ;-)

Innov8ion, I'll likely want to take you up on your offer at some point.  Let me know when you get everything setup.  It will be a good opportunity to at least audition the Sapphires.  What sub(s) are you pairing them with?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:10 pm »
Ah, lovely.  I'll just go pick up a can and paint some scrap MDF that I have lying around.  That should give me a good idea.  At least I'll know what finish to use for some custom MDF stands if I go that route ;-)

Innov8ion, I'll likely want to take you up on your offer at some point.  Let me know when you get everything setup.  It will be a good opportunity to at least audition the Sapphires.  What sub(s) are you pairing them with?

You don't even need to do any actual painting, the cap on the spray can looks just like our finish. Just spraying MDF won't show you accurately because the MDF has to be sanded very smooth AND sealed before painting otherwise it will look rougher than our finish . . .

ajayrav

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:09 pm »
. . I hope Ajay posts his pics  :D

I will try to take and post some pics this weekend.  Work is just getting in the way of more important audio pursuits  :(.  You are indeed lucky, Mike.  Your work IS your audio pursuit!!!

innov8ion

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:34 pm »

Aaron, I'm pairing them with the Dussun V-8i integrated amplifier and matching ACI Force XL sub.  You're welcome over whenever.  Note that I'm downtown, near Washington and Tucker.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:38 pm »
Aaron and I were talking about trying to get over to your place Tuesday night if that's OK.  I may have some materials to drop off at a job site - don't know for sure yet.  Even so, might just be a bit late.

PM me your address info and what time would be good.

Bryan

innov8ion

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2006, 08:06 pm »
Aaron and I were talking about trying to get over to your place Tuesday night if that's OK.  I may have some materials to drop off at a job site - don't know for sure yet.  Even so, might just be a bit late.

PM me your address info and what time would be good.

Bryan
That'll work.  Anytime between 5:30-930pm...

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2006, 10:19 pm »
. . I hope Ajay posts his pics  :D

I will try to take and post some pics this weekend.  Work is just getting in the way of more important audio pursuits  :(.  You are indeed lucky, Mike.  Your work IS your audio pursuit!!!

Ajay:

You are more than right . . .  I am VERY blessed, and audio is only a part of it  :thumb:

aaron_hinni

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2006, 05:33 am »
My XLs and XLC showed up today  :drool:  Quite quicker than I expected.  My theater room isn't ready yet, but that didn't keep me from trying them out on my other system.  So far, I am very pleased.  I can't wait to get these things setup in a properly treated room.

Anyway, I went with the Satin Black finish.  Although I think the Cherry or Piano Black would look absolutely gorgeous, I decided that when watching a movie, I really want the things that are close to the screen to disappear.  I might do the Force XL subs in Cherry, but after seeing the Satin Black, I really don't think I can go wrong there.  I was afraid that it was going to be sort of cheap looking, but it actually looks really nice.

I'll get some pics posted soon, but the Sapphire XLs are beautiful speakers.  The XLC is huge!  My wife asked me if it was the sub.

Mike, thanks for your help with everything.

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2006, 03:25 pm »
Congrats Aaron, now that you have the speakers the real fun starts. Can't wait to see your setup when you post some pics.