Best stand-alone discless players?

Jonathon Janusz

Best stand-alone discless players?
« on: 25 Sep 2016, 03:55 pm »
It looks like the whole discless device market is either migrating or has moved to basically a computer client-server model of implementation.  What I'm wondering is if there are any companies still making quality stand alone music file players?  What I'm asking about is a single box solution that is a complete source component in and of itself.  As I only have a single listening room, with a single system that needs a music source, as a consumer I have really zero interest in setting up a computer data network to connect a network attached storage device, to a library management server, to a music processing server, to a music renderer, to finally get data into a DAC.

Am I asking for a product that just doesn't exist?  Is a full featured mac mini or a comparably configured windows PC as good as it gets without having to go in on the more complicated, more "modern" solutions?  I'm curious academically from the position of cost no object, just to learn what is out there, but practically say under $3K would probably be a more realistic discussion.

Thanks!

srb

Re: Best stand-alone discless players?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:40 pm »
Am I asking for a product that just doesn't exist?

No, you're not!

High end would be something like the Aurender A10 ($5000) with 4TB internal drive, 120GB SSD cache drive, dual mono AK4490 DAC, DSD, linear PS w/4 torroidal transformers and balanced outputs.

At the lower end would be something like the Bluesound Vault ($1200) with 2TB internal drive, CD ripping drive, internal DAC, Bluetooth and single ended outputs.

There are models in between that range - just pick the price point, internal storage size, DSD or not and if you want/need internal CD ripping drive.

Steve
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2016, 05:48 pm by srb »

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:47 pm »
Though they do require using a computer, tablet, or smartphone for control, you might check these out

http://www.salksound.com/streamplayer.php?model=StreamPlayer+Mini#compare

I have the Gen III player.  It sounds great and works very well.

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:53 pm »
- Bryston BDP-1
- Bryston BDP-2
- Bryston BDP-pi
- Cambridge Audio CXN
- Cambridge Audio 851N
- Auralic Aries
- Auralic Aries Mini
- Bluesound Node (various)

I personally went with Bryston because you don't NEED to have any connectivity to network. Attach a USB drive to one of the USB ports and just press play on the front panel. The file sends a digital out to your DAC via AES/SPDIF/BNC, or USB.

If you want these features, plus analog outs, Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N is well suited. They were my #2 option.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:55 pm »
The Salkstream players or the Bryston players are not stand-alone players.  They require an external DAC.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:55 pm »
Though they do require using a computer, tablet, or smartphone for control, ..

It seems they all do... and for backups as well.

For the truly network-averse, what about a DAP? You can copy files over by USB and/or load up SD cards. Still need the computer for ripping.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:07 pm »
Does the Vortexbox fit?

AC member JoshK is selling one on CanuckAudioMart right now.

You could plug a USB DAC right into it and be on your way...

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:13 pm »
Cambridge Audio or Naim. Some even have amplifiers built into them.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm »
Mark, AFAICT Vortexbox is a software distribution, with vendors that provide it preinstalled on hardware, which they call a "Vortexbox." Most of the ones I saw did not meet the criteria, they were a pure server solution.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm »
Sonore µRendu used in DLNA mode would fit your needs.  Very simple to use too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:32 pm »
I have played around with the free s/w from Vortex in the past and currently use a hacked Pogoplug running VAMP s/w (tricks the h/w into thinking it is a Logitech device) with great success.

I believe the Vortexbox, though a server, can play music too.  I ran their server s/w on an old small form factor PC years ago, and hung a USB DAC off it.  Back about 4-5 years now though, so it may have changed.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:41 pm »
Some can... anyway here's the ad, it doesn't say one way or t'other but he was using it as a server -

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649301689-vortexbox-appliance-lms-cd-ripper-1tb-drive/

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2016, 05:13 pm »
jtwrace wrote:  "Sonore µRendu used in DLNA mode would fit your needs.  Very simple to use too."
That's first on my list of considerations.  BUT it is not a one-box solution however, which is what Jonathan is asking for.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2016, 08:52 pm »
No, you're not!

High end would be something like the Aurender A10 ($5000) with 4TB internal drive, 120GB SSD cache drive, dual mono AK4490 DAC, DSD, linear PS w/4 torroidal transformers and balanced outputs.

At the lower end would be something like the Bluesound Vault ($1200) with 2TB internal drive, CD ripping drive, internal DAC, Bluetooth and single ended outputs.

There are models in between that range - just pick the price point, internal storage size, DSD or not and if you want/need internal CD ripping drive.

Steve

Those would be my recommendations as well.  You can hang a USB drive off the back of Lumin units as well, though this is not quite a "one box" solution.

We've been burning in an Aurender A10 at the shop & it's quite impressive as a DAC, competing neck & neck w/ a highly rated stand alone DAC at close to $5K.  The A10 is $5,500, but when you consider it has a $3K A100H / 4TB in it, the $2.5K you're paying for the DAC portion is more than made up for by the quality of the DAC.  It is by anyone's standard an above $2.5K DAC.

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2016, 10:47 pm »
Its not clear to me if this needs to rip or not?

I thought I heard good things about the sony player
http://www.sony.com/electronics/audio-components/hap-z1es

MttBsh

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:36 am »
This is the one I'm looking at - the Sonore MicroRendu inside a sonictransporter - a one box solution that I feel will be hard to beat for sound quality regardless of price.
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5-microrendu-ifi-bundle

srb

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:55 am »
This is the one I'm looking at - the Sonore MicroRendu inside a sonictransporter - a one box solution that I feel will be hard to beat for sound quality regardless of price.

Three box solution - sonicTransporter/microRendu + USB drive or NAS + USB DAC

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2016, 10:53 am »
I'm a bit confused on the responses recommending networked solutions. I am totally for networked audio, but the OP said "I have really zero interest in setting up a computer data network".

quibus

« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2016, 07:15 pm »
Besides the Bluesound Vault mentioned by srb, there is also the Entotem Plato. https://www.platoentertainment.com/en/ One box that rips, stores, and has an amp. It appears to be specifically designed to meet the needs of the OP.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2016, 07:39 pm »
Besides the Bluesound Vault mentioned by srb, there is also the Entotem Plato. https://www.platoentertainment.com/en/ One box that rips, stores, and has an amp.

It doesn't appear to have an internal CD drive so I guess you would need an external USB drive.  The specific power output isn't given either, only power consumption (Idle <9W, Full Power 2-CH 8Ω < 200 W), but based on the low idle power it is most likely a Class D amplifier and might output 75W to 90W per channel (?).

I'm not sure that I would spend nearly $4000 USD (or around ~ $3100 USD for the Pre version without an amplifier) for an unknown entity though, but it may be a moot point as they only specify 220V – 240V 50Hz / 60Hz and there may not be a 120V version.

Steve